Help Buying Recording Software

tidmack

First, I'd recommend you *not* transfer the vinyl. It's time-consuming. Better to just play the vinyl itself. If your turntable isn't the greatest, invest in a better one. You don't want to make your transfers using a cheapie turntable anyway.

But if you must transfer, I recommend SoundForge.

I have many LP's that I do not have on CD. Plus I'd like to have the ability to load them into my iMac computer jukebox for the office and use my LP music collection in the car. I think those are very valid reasons for wanting to make the transfer.

I know this is possible, but still haven't found anyone doing the transfers on a consistent basis. I wonder what the main concerns are? Would you need to compress (I'd rather not), is pop and click reduction viable?

M

Surely you have enough CDs that you can play when you have no access to a record player.

It's going to take at least a couple of hours to transfer an LP well. That quickly adds up when you have a stack to transfer. I've made numerous transfers over the years and it gets old.

I would do it now only if I had limited access to some extremely expensive record that was totally unavailable in another format.

If you want a quick and dirty way, just buy a standalone CD recorder and that's as easy as making a cassette.

Parrot,

I totally agree that there is nothing like listening to the vinyl itself. But, there are some early rockabilly and soul 45's that my Dad and I have never found on CD. It'd be nice to have these songs available for more convenient listening while I'm in the car, cutting grass, or exercising. Granted, I could simply choose from the 3,000+ CD's I already have, but there are some gems that I just can't live without. . .

I appreciate the recommendation of SoundForge, I'll check it out more tonight after work.

Jeff

I have been using Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for quite some time now. The program runs about $50 and does a pretty good job.

It does a great job of eliminating annoying lp noise. It has a Denoiser, Dehisser, Decrackler, and Declicker as well as many FX for adding reverb, eq, compression etc.

It also has the ability to add aftermarket FX processors vis VST.

I really like this program and have transferred a lot of vinyl to CD for my dad and his friends.

Michael,

I picked up a two channel M Audio soundcard that has RCA's on it. It was recommended by a forum member for doing recording. From what I've been reading in the manual (yes, I sometimes read manuals!), I should be able to plug my TT right into it.

Jeff

How about iMac, I can't fit a sound card to it. Do ya just plug into the 3.5mm stereo mic jack from receiver?

Michael,

Do you happen to have a recever/integrated with phono inputs and optical out? If so, I believe the iMac 1/8 inch stereo jack also doubles as an optical input, the same as the Sony MD recorders. The ADC in the receiver is probably better than the analog in on the iMac. Or you can get a fairly inexpensive analog to usb device and get the audio in that way.

The Magix stuff is pretty good. It is all a trickle down from their professional recording software, made for Joe Consumer. It works well. Soundforge is also great, but will set you back a lot of dollars. If you are a student of faculty/staff member at a school, you get get fabulaous discounts on most software.

Michael - what browser are you using in the iMac? I just installed Camino on a Mac Mini I am borrowing from school. Same render engine as Firefox, but written specifically for the Mac. Blows away Safari quite handily.

Bruce

I use Sony Sound Forge with noise reduction when needed for the very high end hiss. I can add silence to the end and beginning (groove rumble) , change equalizer settings on the fly, normalize the levels in both channels to peak after application of the click and crackle remover, repair one channel by using the info on the other good channel, cut out a very severe pop, but you can't remove wow and poor transients from the phono cartridge. You can slightly change the pitch if needed but you have to maintain the 44.1 standard for CD's. Of course this is assuming you have Klipsch computer speakers, but even then it sounds different on the big horns, so you have to adjust.

JJK

Michael,

I connect my turntable to an old two channel receiver with a phono stage and then use the Aux outs to connect to my computer...I have a sound card with front RCA Inputs.

Prior to getting my latest Sound Card I used the Headphone jack with a quarter inch to 1/8th inch converter and connected to the Aux in that way.

Audio Cleaning lab does have a "Digital" Phono stage to connect the turntable directly to the computer, but it is really lousy IMHP. (In all honesty, the owners manual of the program tells you that a direct connection is the least desireable option...)

If you are using a Mac, GarageBand will do many of the things that an Audio Cleaning program will...i think...

• 1 month later...

I've had this on the back burner the last month or so, but would like to buy something this week. I thought I'd bump this up one more time to see if anyone else has any software recommendations. Newegg has Sound Forge for $50 and I've read good reviews about it here and on other forums. But, I'm open to other suggestions if Sound Forge is missing anything crucial for transferring vinyl to CD. Thanks again for the input.

Jeff

Michael

A very easy Mac solution is this grffin imic device. It includes software called final vinyl just hook the tt up to this device and it connects via a usb port. the software is provided and it costs 40.00 from the Mac Store.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6794000/wo/W63tM6v1BBTF25AOQv01bxBGLBW/4.0.21.1.0.8.25.7.11.1.3

I have used it to transfer records to Mp3 files. I am sure there are more "audiophile" solutions but this is easy and for MP3s it worked great for me.

Josh

THis new software Mark Levinson has talked about in recent interviews seems quite interesting.

I am with the Parrot at the beinning of the thread.

1. TT system (including line stage) must be very good to capture the value of the vinyl in the analog domain.

2. A to D card for computer needs to be better than average.

Software is only one of three important considrations which keeps me from making a decision. I stilll do not want to play games with a 400 usd sound card I may not like.

I have successfully used an open-source tool called Gnome Wave
Cleaner to perform declicking on LP transfers. It runs natively on
Linux, but somebody may have ported it to other OSes:

http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

There are also several interesting links on this page about denoising algorithms in general for those with a technical interest.

One thing to beware of if using your motherboard's built-in line
in is that many onboard A/D chips sample at 48kHz fixed, and if 44.1kHz
is requested by the capturing software, it is resampled by the device
driver. Many of these resampling algorithms do a poor job. To avoid
this, I capture the raw WAV file at 48kHz and then use sox to resample
to 44.1kHz using quadratic interpolation. The open-source Audacity tool
can handle the capture, initial editing (and splitting tracks), and
resampling as well, and is available for Linux, Windows, and OS X:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

- Bill