Any great value for NEW single CD players?

kenratboy

Want something to go with my new Primare integrated. I only paid $200 for the Primare, and only bought it because I 'fell into' the deal, and want to see if there are any affordable single CD players that are worth my time. I see a lot of the 'mid-fi' companies like Rotel, Adcom, Cambridge, etc. have $300 entry level players, and they look nice, but are they good enough to do the system justice?

I'll 2nd the 640c,you ain't gonna do much better for the price.I bought this unit and would have only lost $20 if I returned it,it was easy to decide it's a keeper,I've spent 5 times that on shipping and sent stuff back.It really comes down to budget,at every price there are "best buys"just pick a budget.

OK, let's put a fly in the ointment.

NOTHING against the recommended 640C. Absolutely nothing. But you got a GOOD front end for your system, let's step up a bit on the source, shall we?? And we'll give you something that will give you LOTS of future "choices".

I highly recommend trying an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 player. What's it got that the Cambridge does not? Tube output buffers that allow you to "flavor" the deck any way you like with a pair of 6922/6DJ8 family of tubes (and you can use tubes that are less than optimal for the linestage - IOW, other's "imperfects"). It is an AWESOME way to keep the "digititis" to a minimum - that "hash" that often shows up on CD material, especially on high resolution systems (like you now have). Roll the tubes until you get it juuuuuuust exactly perfect[:)] It really doesn't get any better for the high 500's from Upscale new, or for less on used audio sites (and if you do find one used, chances are the seller will throw in some good tubes, too).

But it does get better, by way of a sweet little add-on: the upsampler, which puts this deck sonically with decks in the 2K range. It's a REAL giant killer now. Get it basic, and it's very good - load it up now or later and get a GREAT source for mid-fi price. What other CD decks give you these kind of upgrade and flavor options?

This was one of the best things I ever did for my 2 channel kit - especially for someone who has a mostly CD collection. It is my main source for my MX-110/MC-30/Belle Klipsch kit, which took some work to acquire. Comparatively speaking, I stole the Ah!

And since you sooooo "got off the hook" on that amp, why not spend a little extra and get something that will give you some options?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1166356782

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1163963479

I agree with Audible Nectar on the sound of the AH! Njoe Tjoebs is very good. I own one of these with the upsampler. Also have a Heart CD which is another Dutch Marantz tubed conversion which Dick Olshner rates slightly higher than the AH! It is not upsampled but sounds very good. They can usually be had for less than the AH!.

These are above the price range you mention, but I know the Heart is a bang for the buck champ. The seller on Audiogon has one listed for $700 o.b.o. I've seen them sell on Audiogon for as little as $450. Compared with the AH! it is based on a heavier more substantial Marantz unit than the AH!.

Ah! You guys are bustin' my balls!

Its not that I 'saved' any money on the Primare, I just fell into the deal, so its not like it freed up extra money for it.

How about this - I can get the Primare CD player (I21) for $750, new? Might that be the best way to do things?

Honestly, I am tempted to just get a basic $300ish Cambridge or something just to hold me over.

Would it not make sense to use an external DAC on the Sony changer, or does the Sony suck too much?

Remember, my speakers are not exactly would-class, and I am NOT going to start looking at new speakers as well :-x

Agh!

Look - if you are going to spend $300 on the Cambridge, you are probably within $100-150 of a used base model Ah! (which is well worth the upgrade).....

Now the ad Daddy Dee showed you is the LOADED Ah! machine - it has the upsampler, upgraded power cord, and the hottest tubes you can get for this machine. Those Siemens tubes and the upsampler alone are almost worth his asking price for the deck (the Siemens are $350 per pair NOS and the upsampler is $350).....this IS a nice deal if you want it all in one shot. But you can probably find an Ah! in more basic form for less - I paid $400 for mine, which included the Siemens tubes but no upsampler or upgraded power cord.

The external DAC can be a very good way to go as well - in that case all you are using is the transport of your CD. The deck will basically sound as good as your DAC.

The matching brand CD player might also be good (and synergy would be very good, I would assume), and would be worth further investigation.........but if I were going to spend that kind of money on a deck, I would get the loaded Ah! and be done with it, because it gives you more choices. I like to think of the Ah! as the "Klipsch of CD" - a high end performer at a mid-fi price.

And as for your "not so world class system": Isn't this being hooked up to the Chorus IIs? If so, you already HAVE speakers good enough to take advantage of this - and you are now in a class of system that justifies such a purchase. At this quality level, I encourage you to consider buying a component to KEEP, and not to "upgrade to another later" - regardless of what that choice ultimately is.

I have been considering the Heart-CD-CD6000-OSE-LE as a good quality tube CD player to mate up with the MC-30's, C-20 and Belles....thoughts Gentlemen.

I've heard lots of good about this deck, too. Much like the Ah! but without the upsampler. Should be a good deck in that system (very similar to mine). I haven't heard the Heart, but from what I've read the Ah! with upsampler is the best of the sub 1K CD packages - if you take the upsampler out of the picture you are looking at comparable/more similar machines.

The Jolida JD100 is another good option in tube buffered CD.

As you can tell, I am a BIG fan of tube buffered CD on horn systems. It is soooooo cool to be able to tube roll to change flavor - it beats buying another machine!