Forte II vs Forte

tom b. 57

I own a pair of Forte's, I think they are one of the best purchases I have made to date. I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Forte II's, price to be negotiated. Does anyone have an oppinion on the sound quality difference?The same, better, or not quite as good? What do you think?

Tom

PS: I know the oppinion thing is a silly question. I am sure there are many oppinions on this subject out there. I've read a few threads.

I have never heard Forte' or Forte' II BUT I own Quartets and have read MANY threads here and there is almost universal praise of the Forte (original and II) speaker...it seems that the II is more coveted...possibly as it has the same tweeter for HT applications with the same tweeter being in the Academy (and my Quartet)...I really LOVE my Quarts so...if the price is fair, I would get them...

Bill

• Moderators

I have both and the only comparison I did was put a different one on L & R channel. To tell the truth I could not hear a difference.

If I had used a switch box on the same channel it would have been easier to tell, and I never spent much time comparing.

I was kind of in a rush to hear them all in a HT. I use Forte ll's for front L&R, center and rear center and original Forte's for L&R rears. Sounds great IMHO.

Like Duke said : can't go wrong with either !

I have Forte 2 & Heresy 2's, and except for the bass, sound very similar. My take is that you should expect very similar sound, +/- a few percent, depending on your room, sources, etc. I wouldn't want another pair of Forte's, but would prefer to go to the next level of performance, either Corn's or K-horns.

(Actually, I could use a pair or KLF 30's or RF 7's if the coin was right and was planning on getting divorced).

Another pair for a Home theater would make sense though.

NP - The Mars Volta - Amputechture

.........*.............*..............*......................*

My opinion of course, but I think it has a lot to do with, which version you started off with. That said, I think the IIs are less forgiving, but sound better with excellent recorded material. I have used them together in a 5 channel stereo setup and they sounded just great. You can't go too wrong with either.

• Moderators

I agree with dtel.

We have two pair of Forte II's, one pair of Forte's and a pair of Cornwall III's (courtesy of our name being pulled at the 2006 Klipsch Pilgramage in Hope)

IMO you can not possibly go wrong purchasing Forte II's, or Forte's for that matter. It is an individual preference.

We love our Fortes, all of them. I sure am glad you didn't ask me to compare Fortes to Cornwalls. That would be a tough one.

Good luck.

I had Forte II's and came into a pair of original Fortes. Knowing I couldn't keep both I did a long, thorough comparison with the same electronics and speaker location. I decided to keep the original Fortes. The differences, in my opinion are slight but noticable. The Forte II's seemed brighter and the image was less focused through the mids, with a little looser, deeper bass. The Forte II's did height better. The original Fortes bass wasn't quite as big, but it seemed tighter and the music seemed better integrated and focused. The Forte II's pulled the music and each instrument apart in a very detailed way, while the original Fortes gave a more natural, focused presentation. Again, my opinions only. I hope this helps!

Well I can see I am not the only crazy one around here. [:D]

I too had both Chorus I's and II's, and found I preferred the I's for pretty much the same reasons as you. A little more balanced presentation, with tighter bass, but that is just my opinion. I think they are all great speakers, and you cannot go wrong with either.

Mike

I had Forte II's and came into a pair of original Fortes. Knowing I couldn't keep both I did a long, thorough comparison with the same electronics and speaker location. I decided to keep the original Fortes. The differences, in my opinion are slight but noticable. The Forte II's seemed brighter and the image was less focused through the mids, with a little looser, deeper bass. The Forte II's did height better. The original Fortes bass wasn't quite as big, but it seemed tighter and the music seemed better integrated and focused. The Forte II's pulled the music and each instrument apart in a very detailed way, while the original Fortes gave a more natural, focused presentation. Again, my opinions only. I hope this helps!

I too had both Chorus I's and II's, and found I preferred the I's for pretty much the same reasons as you. A little more balanced presentation, with tighter bass, but that is just my opinion. I think they are all great speakers, and you cannot go wrong with either.

Mike

Forte I and Forte II are very similar designs as far as bass is concerned. 12 inch passive vs a 15 inch.

Chorus I and Chorus II are completely different designs. Box size being about the only real comparison. And its a passive vs port when it comes to bass. I'll take the Chorus II three times today and twice tomorrow over the Chorus I.

Mike

Forte 1 and Forte 2 are very similar designs as far as bass is concerned. 12 inch passive vs a 15 inch.

Chorus 1 and Chorus 2 are completely different designs. Box size being about the only real comparison. And its a passive vs port when it comes to bass. I'll take the Chorus 2 three times today and twice tomorrow over the Chorus 1.

Well I guess that's why we all have opinions. And for what it's worth I'll take my La Scala's every day of the week over either. YMMV...

Mike

I own a pair of Forte's, I think they are one of the best purchases I have made to date. I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Forte II's, price to be negotiated. Does anyone have an oppinion on the sound quality difference?The same, better, or not quite as good? What do you think?

Tom

PS: I know the oppinion thing is a silly question. I am sure there are many oppinions on this subject out there. I've read a few threads.

well, II is higher than I..............

dtel sez: 'We love our Fortes, all of them. I sure am glad you didn't ask me to compare Fortes to Cornwalls. That would be a tough one.'

really? I think the CW would blow away any Forte. Now the Chorus would be neck and neck, imho.

put one of them next to each other, hook up to same amp and give a good listen. Do the same with F and FII. Then report back.

M

• Moderators

dtel sez: 'We love our Fortes, all of them. I sure am glad you didn't ask me to compare Fortes to Cornwalls. That would be a tough one.'

really? I think the CW would blow away any Forte. Now the Chorus would be neck and neck, imho.

put one of them next to each other, hook up to same amp and give a good listen. Do the same with F and FII. Then report back.

M

Okay, it wasn't dtel that said that, it was "dtel's wife". But for the record..."I do love our Fortes, all of them. I sure am glad you didn't ask me to compare Fortes to Cornwalls. That would be a tough one."

And I do love the Cornwall III's. However, all things considered, including pricing (you know the little WAF thing) I would have to say it would be a tough decision. Yes, I would definitely love to own a pair of Cornwall III's ( we do, but we did not pay for them, they were given to us by Klipsch)

Hands down the quality of the sound is considerably better with the Cornwall III's. But...two pair of Forte II's and one pair of Fortes for less than one third of the price for Cornwall III's???

Which brings me to the next point, the Cornwall III's will remain in our home long after any other speakers we may ever own, yes guys, including Khorns. Remember, the WAF, well the sentimental value I have attached to the Cornwall III's make that last statement a certainity.

And you guys thought ya'll had women all figured out?[;)]

This question is one I have been seeking an answer two for quite a while, so I finally set up my own test.

Equipment is as follows:

NAD 372 integrated amp 150 x 2

Old school Denon CD player

for initial AB comparison

followed by home brew triode tube amp 8005 outputs, about 25 x2, and hafler DH200, and Dynaco ST70, for longer listening periods.

Speakers used were 88 vintage Forte's, 92 vintage Forte II's, Tangent 500's, 78 vintage Cornwalls, and finally, don't laugh, they are suprisingly good, Cerwin Vega DX-9's

First up Forte II versus Tangent 500's. This was a no brainer, the Frote II just blew the Tangents away, I am not sure what went wrong with the tangents as they start out life right with heresy II components, plus the passive out of the Forte. The tangent was out matched in every way.

Next up was the Frote II versus the Vega's, this was closer than you might think, the Vega's spund good on many things, just a hole in the upper mid range makes the Frote II the winner.

Next up drum roll please the Forte II versus the Forte, very tough call on this one, but the Forte gets the nod, tighter faster bass, smooth highs. The Forte II is awesome but the Forte is a little better.

Finally, Forte versus Cornwall, I am not sure how to put this into words, but the Cornwall is just a funner speaker than the Forte, huge dynamics, bigger sound stage. The Forte is more refined and accurate, deeper bass, higher highs but just not as engaging as the Cornwall, so there you have it Cornwall is #1, Forte close #2.