OT: Movies that scared the cr@p out of you...

flannj

I thought about this after replying to a post in DVD.

I figured I'd start a new thread.

What movie(s) scared the living **** out of you?

As a child? As an adult?

For me the 1953 version of War of the Worlds. The one with Gene Barry. Saw it on TV when I was about 6 (probably 1965). Scared the bejeebus out of me.

- Jim

post-17373-13819314211178_thumb.jpg

As a young lad, I saw Taxi Driver on the big screen. Always creeped me out pretty good. To this day I'm not a big fan of horror/suspense films. Just can't take the nightmares afterwards, that stuff really sticks in my mind.

Give me a nice chick flick any day.

M

Ditto on the flying monkeys in Oz. They really creeped me out!

Others:

William Castle's Original "13 Ghosts" (1960) I was nine when I saw it.

"The Killer Shrews" (1959) I was 8 years old and this really scared me bad. Now, the shrews look like dogs with fake fangs and carpet remnants on their backs.

The original: "Night of the living dead" (1968)

post-10177-13819314211618_thumb.jpg

"The Killer Shrews" (1959) I was 8 years old and this really scared me bad. Now, the shrews look like dogs with fake fangs and carpet remnants on their backs.

Watch the Mystery Science Theater episode featuring "The Killer Shrews". You'll never find that movie to be anything other than hysterical after that.

post-17373-13819314217258_thumb.jpg

When I was 7 or 8 years old, my Dad took me to see "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea." THAT didn't scare me, but I was HYSTERICAL after seeing the preview for "Blood Feast", which included this scene...

feast_2.jpg

I was 8 or 9 when I saw "The Exorcist" on network TV (edited of course) and it really twisted me for a long time. I remember that summer (not sure how long after I saw it, but probably a while) it was hot as hell with no AC, but I insisted on sleeping with the windows closed and locked because Ithought that was how the demon got in. I also routinely asked my older brother with whom I shared a room and bunk bed if I could sleep with him. I vividly recall begging him (from under the covers in an 80 degree bedroom) not to open the windows.

So I just don't like really scary movies anymore. My mind is just too good at - what was the term from studying Shakespeare? -- right "suspension of disbelief". I just buy in then my mind conjures up images and sensations of shit following me up the stairs when I go to bed. No thanks.

When I was a kid my parents took us to see "Fantastic Voyage". I couldn't sleep all night. My Brother and sister have never let me forget it.[:$] When I was a teen we saw "The Exorcist" in the theater and even though I shared a room with my brother I again didn't sleep all night. As a young adult I went with my GF to see the original "Alien" after I'd heard so much about it and I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie.

I would go with The Shining,a masterpiece of horror if there ever was one. Refined horror,all the actors play their roles well and the creepy end is as good as it gets.

Alien,Aliens another great one,the atmosphere is on the edge.Another classic.

All the gory BS with tomato juice blood and a la Texas Chainsaw Massacre is hilariously poor commedy to me.BUZZZ BUZZZZZZ cut,hack and slash is overdone and old.