PROBLEM: there is a mouse in my subwoofer, help

Tostitos

I have the 5.1 promedias, the ones with a combination subwoofer/ampbox large enough to conceal a dead toddler. There's a narrow vent along the bottom back, and now there's a ****ing mouse in it.

It was like a movie, I watched the mouse skitter along my polished hardwood floor, under my feet, and straight to the back of my sub, where he skittered inside.

My speakers lightly popped once but otherwise seemed unaffected. I have since been trying to drive him out with the bass cranked to 11, after downloading things like "Illegal Outlaw Bass 4: Booty Shake Bass" and shaking the foundation of my house with it. So far this hasn't worked. I don't want the little bastard gnawing on wires, dropping rodent waste, or dying in there.

Anyone got any tips? I really don't want to have to open this shit up. Also, skitter is a great word. He has been in there for around 30 hours now by my estimation. I hear him scratching sometimes. I've tried luring him out with peanutbutter, moving the sub to a different room, etc.

Edit: My post is a little tongue in cheek on a second read, but 100% true.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A VICTOR snap trap and a gob of peanut butter................works every time....Warning, if you see one there is usually more, when you snag the first one, re -set the trap, I bet you get another one..............they breed alot....................get that little bugger......................

Never mind the live traps.......................kill the damn thing. They are nothing but trouble, and they breed ALOT. If you don't get rid of it, you'll be sorry. I ran a Bakery Supply Warehouse for 14 years, Rodent Control was a major point, I know what I'm talking about..................Get rid of that critter, the faster the better............................

Welcome to the Forum!

OB and the others are right; it's gotta go; they will chew through plastic, vinyl (your wires...) woofer cones, or anything that they can, it keeps their little teeth sharp...etc. They are a major pest!

Had mice get into the area above the ceiling in the trusses/rafters in our boat building; fully enclosed except for a ventilation port that had come loose during a hurricane. This is what we did: Take a piece of carboard and duct tape and tape it to the port along the top, leaving it like a flap, but "one way" in the "out" direction, put out the trap/ peanut butter, etc. and hopefully it'll get hungry and leave and can't get back in without chewing through the cardboard. Once they left, they were fair game for the "ship's cat" that we keep in the building just for these little problems.... Good luck.

You are all missing the obvious solution. Pick up the subwoofer and shake it vigorously. Kill or stun the critter and then shake out the body. Do this outside and don't touch the thing. They may have fleas etc that you don't want to mess with.

When the critter is gone, disassemble the sub to check for gnawed wiring etc. Mice will eat insulation, wood even metal.

Also, make up a cover story in case your neighbors see you shaking the subwoofer. Tell them you're checking its performance at 5 Hz or something.

I've had a mice problem in the past few weeks and what really amazes me is how they can get the bait of the traps without setting them. I would take a small piece of cheese and cram it on the actuator of the victor mouse trap. Then for good measure I put some peanut butter on too. I get up in the morning only to find the bait gone. I also placed some sticky traps down and put a small drywall screw about 8 inches above with the same bait combination and they got that as well. This all takes place under the kitchen sink. I have managed to get two of them so far. I also purchased a couple of sonic rodent repellers (snake oil?) they supposedly put out a signal around 38khz to 62khz or something like that. Anyways how do they know they're traps? Is it learned behavior? instincts? what? It would be really neat to videotape how they get the bait of of the traps. I'm sure with some perserverence I'll get them all. Mark