ALK......I'll miss ya

dhsettim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no idea who would put a beer bottle in a serious picture like that......[^o)]. It's a good thing the garbage can isn't in the picture.[:D]

If you look close the Khorn top section is sitting on a brown table almost the same shade of brown.

I can't tell you how good these things sound now.

Marvel, I understand your comment but it doesn't make good sense. You can dislike the guy...fine. But Walmart is a bad example. I think a better example might be someone saying they dislike Germans and so they wouldn't purchase a Mercedes. The difference is that you can build them yourself or possess inferior ones...your choice. I listened to them all. I'm confident about my comments. Your guess about certain designs is wrong in this situation. Sorry.

Duke, I used a yellow cord to match the Auricaps. [:P]

The difference is that you can build them yourself or possess inferior ones...your choice. I listened to them all. I'm confident about my comments. Your guess about certain designs is wrong in this situation. Sorry.

Sorry for you. It isn't a guess for me. At the volumes I listen to, more than one person who has also designed crossovers thinks what I built works best for me, and better than the extreme slope networks. I made 1st order networks. They don't suck up all the power and don't require higher volumes before they open up. Glad you like what you have. Like I said, his products are quality products, but they aren't for me. It has nothing to do with cost either. The Wal-Mart thing still holds, because I am talking about attitude, not quality or whether or not I can build them. If you think every other crossover is inferior, just enjoy the ones you believe in. I really don't care to get in a fight over it. I think that was Al's job.

The difference is that you can build them yourself or possess inferior ones...your choice. I listened to them all. I'm confident about my comments. Your guess about certain designs is wrong in this situation. Sorry.

Sorry for you. It isn't a guess for me. At the volumes I listen to, more than one person who has also designed crossovers thinks what I built works best for me, and better than the extreme slope networks. I made 1st order networks. They don't suck up all the power and don't require higher volumes before they open up. Glad you like what you have. Like I said, his products are quality products, but they aren't for me. It has nothing to do with cost either. The Wal-Mart thing still holds, because I am talking about attitude, not quality or whether or not I can build them. If you think every other crossover is inferior, just enjoy the ones you believe in. I really don't care to get in a fight over it. I think that was Al's job.

Bruce,

Cool. I agree with your post. Obviously you knew I WAS commenting on quality. You have what you need and so do I. I definitely don't want anymore of those kind of posts either....especially with another guy from Georgia. Sorry.

In my system sojourn I've had interactions with many from this forum, Romy, Dr. Edgar and others. I've dealt with many hyperbrains in my professional career. And I had the pleasure of dealing with Al K. Gifted types are not routinely blessed with diplomacy and more frequently have less patience than others. They know what they know and often do not convey that tactfully. Too bad for those who require a place ideally set and a wiped nose to boot. You will miss out on much in your lives if you're waiting for knowledge sources to make their information pretty enough for you to digest. Trust me Al K is easy to deal with compared to others. His greatest asset is that he will explain anything to anyone interested enough to ask and listen. Most will tell you to figure it out or tough cookies. Klipsch lost a tremendous advocate and friend and this forum will now lack a resource wealthy with information. Opinions are most worthy if they are varied and worthy of discussion...heated or otherwise.

"In my system sojourn I've had interactions with many from this forum, Romy, Dr. Edgar and others. I've dealt with many hyperbrains in my professional career. And I had the pleasure of dealing with Al K. Gifted types are not routinely blessed with diplomacy and more frequently have less patience than others. They know what they know and often do not convey that tactfully. Too bad for those who require a place ideally set and a wiped nose to boot. You will miss out on much in your lives if you're waiting for knowledge sources to make their information pretty enough for you to digest. Trust me Al K is easy to deal with compared to others. His greatest asset is that he will explain anything to anyone interested enough to ask and listen. Most will tell you to figure it out or tough cookies. Klipsch lost a tremendous advocate and friend and this forum will now lack a resource wealthy with information. Opinions are most worthy if they are varied and worthy of discussion...heated or otherwise."

Great post and I could not agree more.

Wow, I don't monitor the forum for a few weeks and all hell breaks loose. Al, you will be missed. You often helped me and took the time to explain compicated issues to a novice. Thank you. Most of all, thank you for your networks which I enjoy tremendously!

"In my system sojourn I've had interactions with many from this forum, Romy, Dr. Edgar and others. I've dealt with many hyperbrains in my professional career. And I had the pleasure of dealing with Al K. Gifted types are not routinely blessed with diplomacy and more frequently have less patience than others. They know what they know and often do not convey that tactfully. Too bad for those who require a place ideally set and a wiped nose to boot. You will miss out on much in your lives if you're waiting for knowledge sources to make their information pretty enough for you to digest. Trust me Al K is easy to deal with compared to others. His greatest asset is that he will explain anything to anyone interested enough to ask and listen. Most will tell you to figure it out or tough cookies. Klipsch lost a tremendous advocate and friend and this forum will now lack a resource wealthy with information. Opinions are most worthy if they are varied and worthy of discussion...heated or otherwise."

I too think the above quote says it best

I own a pair of ALK that I still utilize on my klipschorns in my main system. I remember vividly how helpful AL was when I first came visiting this board and how he always shared his knowledge and work free of charge. I think his presence here was a net positive thing and his loss is without a doubt a net negative thing. It is a shame that things always seem to come to a head in December (I have noticed this for years). I hope he decides to come back. I further note that to me audio is still more art than science and I think Al's approach to crossover design was well founded and executed. I would tend to leave room for other opinions but it is easy to understand how the experts in the field can butt heads over these type of issues (have you ever hung around "prop head" at AA??!!). I hope every one of you has a terrific holiday season. regards, tony