ALK......I'll miss ya

dhsettim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone else remember the massive thread that was finally deleted by an Admin where some guy posts he has an amp for sale? In his handle it reads "have you ever heard of... ..." to which Al responds ya I've heard of it and they are the biggest crap ever ... run away ... yada yada yada ... Turns out that guy is a lover of that tech and bought up all the old stock -- and Al feels he has to make it his unending mission to change that guys mind about those tweeter or at least make sure no other unfortunate soul ever makes the mistake of buying or perhaps even listening to them ever in the future. What an off topic hate / flame fest that turned into; don't know if the OP ever sold that amp.

...well I personally decided I'd never buy x-overs from Al from that even though I was seriously considering it just weeks before, and the reason I was checking in the forum at that time when it was all going down (I showed how green I was as I'd first though he was 'bob' and said I wouldn't buy tweeters from him in that thread - lol & duh). Anyway, I completely lost all respect for him no matter how 'god-like' he may seem given his knowledge. To tell you the truth, I've hardly been back to this forum since then due in large part to seeing what/who was held in the highest of regard.

It's a loss yes. But I've seen both sides of the coin.

Does anyone else remember the massive thread that was finally deleted by an Admin where some guy posts he has an amp for sale? In his handle it reads "have you ever heard of... ..." to which Al responds ya I've heard of it and they are the biggest crap ever ... run away ... yada yada yada ... Turns out that guy is a lover of that tech and bought up all the old stock -- and Al feels he has to make it his unending mission to change that guys mind about those tweeter or at least make sure no other unfortunate soul ever makes the mistake of buying or perhaps even listening to them ever in the future. What an off topic hate / flame fest that turned into; don't know if the OP ever sold that amp.

...well I personally decided I'd never buy x-overs from Al from that even though I was seriously considering it just weeks before, and the reason I was checking in the forum at that time when it was all going down (I showed how green I was as I'd first though he was 'bob' and said I wouldn't buy tweeters from him in that thread - lol & duh). Anyway, I completely lost all respect for him no matter how 'god-like' he may seem given his knowledge. To tell you the truth, I've hardly been back to this forum since then due in large part to seeing what/who was held in the highest of regard.

It's a loss yes. But I've seen both sides of the coin.

I made the same decision based on other posts. He would hate the crossovers I use, and they were designed by someone else on this forum. No matter how good you think your technology is, humility goes a long, long way toward earning the respect of everyone. Dana's comment was meant to be funny, but he pointed out a bit of truth. "Engineers crack me up, as long as I don't have to work with them." Thanks Dana.

M80, there is a lot of bull shoot in life. One of my good friends absolutely LOVES Bose 901s, and thinks they are the best speakers in the world with their almost unlimited power handling. Fortunately, I can keep my mouth shut on that topic, and we continue on. He just doesn't prod me for compliments on the Bose.

Have another friend who was the safety manager on my last job. He made a decision to use an overhead crane, set some very restrictive safety requirements, and as a result of these safety requirements, a guy got dragged through the driveshaft three times, had over ten broken bones, including a broken hip, may never walk again, and definitely will never be able to do his job ever again. I'll walk off a site before I work with the the dude providing "safety coverage" again.

At what point do you throw a flag for something that you have actual knowledge for being deficient, wrong, or even a lie? If you are a politician, never. Engineers normally are the converse, even as they run people over with their lack of tact.

Ya know on some level the forum feels a little bit lesser now, I felt that way when John Warren left for a long stretch as well. I will miss Al's insights. Granted he could be cantankerous about things but still I honestly believed he really meant to help folks. It is to bad things worked out the way they did. BTW if you want to chat with him he is over on AK.

I guess that I am not surprised that Al's departure has led to a lot of discussion in the last twenty-four hours. Unfortunately, the fashionable thing in here lately appears to be piling on Al (negatively). The next thing you know, some of the victims of Al's "attacks" will be investigating potential venues for emotional distress actions (not my cup of tea and beware of the 33-40%).

Sure, Al lacked tact at times, and some viewed his posts as abrasive, but he helped many people in this forum and his products are world class. Those who dismiss his products as not being all that "good" or that much better than some stock items - obviously have never heard any of Al's stuff. Also, for those who knew him, he is a nice guy. Al has selflessly helped me a number of times, both in the forum and on the phone. He will be missed in here. Unfortunately, brillant people can also ruffle feathers.

Rick's post from over in another thread sums it up for me:

"Al K has the ability to impress with more knowledge in one post than others can with 2300 odd.

Most here have no knowledge of Al's helpfulness in such things as measuring different drivers and designing little tweaks to change crossover characteristics selflessly and without charge.

This forum will be much poorer without his presence."

Yeah, but you gotta admit, he went overboard - and continued to do so when everyone was telling him to ease up. Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw!!! That was a little much. But even had I been on the receiving end of that one, I'd still forget about it, make up, and have a little something to laugh about - as long as Al would, too.

Sure, I admit that Al went over the line. And of course, this is Klipsch's website, and the company can do what it pleases, with respect to its products and this site.

That being said, I am rather surprised by some of the comments made on the other side, both in tone and content.

Carl.

Yeah, but you gotta admit, he went
overboard - and continued to do so when everyone was telling him to
ease up. Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw, Hee-Haw!!! That was a little
much. But even had I been on the receiving end of that one, I'd
still forget about it, make up, and have a little something to laugh
about - as long as Al would, too.

I've seen
people act worse in political threads on this forum. Al at least
had the intent to help folks. I will miss his insights for
certain. I think maligning him now is in poor taste.

I am certainly not denigrating his products or his skills. But his designs aren't necessarily the best for every situation, regardless of the cost. For certain things, they are world class. IT just so happens that certain attitudes will keep me from buying certain products. Al's aren't the first... and probably won't be the last. I wish him well. It's no different than someone deciding not to buy at Wal-Mart because they don't like the attitude.

Here's a timely post....I guess. I had been working on a set of AL's ES networks, and I completed them tonight. They are pretty easy to build and make a world of improvement. I won't even get into it. But the Khorns kick butt now.

nice job ...!!! ...[:)]

Carefull...!!! that bottle may leave a ring ...!!! [:$]