In the hospital again

Cal Blacksmith

I was just sitting talking with a buddy and I had a pain in a rib or so I thought. After a few hours, I couldn't take it anymore and went to the hospital. My first clue that it might be worse than I thought was that they took me right in, ahead of everyone else that was waiting there.

It turns out that I had some blood clots that broke loose and traveled to my lungs. The doctor told me I was lucky to be alive because the clot broke into a lot of small pieces and didn't get stuck in any major blood vessels. If it had, done so, it would have dropped me where I stood. They have me taking rat poision as a blood thinner and that will prevent any more clots from forming. I have been stuck in the hospital now for 4 days to get the levels of thinners to come to where they belong. I am at least a day or two away from reaching the proper level so the boredome continues.

Other than that I am feeling fine. The most likely cause of the clot was during the operation as I have never had a problem with clots before. If all goes well, I should be able to stop taking the thinners after about 6 months if all goes well.

Thanks for all the prayers that you guys have said for me, they all count and are appreciated.

At least I have my laptop here in the hospital, my son brought it this morning.

More later,

Wayne

Wayne,

Glad you are doing ok now. Glad you went to the hospital, rather than just waiting around to see if you improved!

Will keep you in my prayers that all is well. Being on the Coumadin isn't so bad. Once your labs look good, they will probably let you get on out of there.

And, just having a surgery at all is certainly a risk factor for a DVT and PE to form. Hopefully, once you recover, this should not be a problem in the future for you.

Good luck,

Paul

Phil, no there are no other side problems yet so things look good.

Paul, the doc said that there is a very good chance that I can stop taking coumadin after about six months so that is a good thing

As to getting out of here, I have another pair of chest xrays to take tonight and one more shot and then I go home. I need to report to my doctor first thing in the morning to get the next shot and setup continuing care. I have some pain that is moving around my chest and the attending doc here said it was due to my lungs moving causing irritation. At least that is how I remember it. The short answer was to not worry about it though. I think I am going to ask for some pain meds soon as it is really starting to hurt like a beast.

Hey Mr. Blacksmith,

I hope you are feeling better.

I just got back from going to the hospital with my dad, he just delivered a baby, I went with him.

Did some homework while I was there.

BTW, I really like your avatar.

Are you really a blacksmith, or that your name for the forum?

Blacksmithing is really cool.

Hope you get better really soon. I will keep you in my prayers.

PC.

Come on you old WAR HORSE, get back on your feet. You have the opposite problem I have, my blood won't clot. Being on Coumadin is a pain in the butt, I have to be on it for 3 months, blood tests twice a week.............not fun...........You'll be fine. I spent 8 days in hospital when everyone else went home in 3................that's the way it goes...................you'll be fine

Wow, Wayne, what an ordeal! Hang in there, sounds like you're on your way to a good recovery.

As I understand it, Lovenox has advantages over Coumadin in that it's less affected by what you eat, etc.? My Mom was on it after a hospital stay.

Speedo....Middle Of Minnesota in January..."The Annual Speedo Run"... beer... jello shots....Schnapps...snowmobiles pulling couches down main street.... led by firetruck...convertible car parade....no shirt...encouraged by police... no pockets for wallet or smokes....women in bikinis, NHO Central...one was 70 year old grandmother....must...try to....forget...

MAN.. BAD flashback there.... where was I?

WAYNE!!! Very glad to hear you had the good sense to get yourself in front of medical personel when you first noticed a problem. Do as they say and I'm sure you'll be out of there in no time. Take care of yourself. (And stay out of Crosby, MN when the Speedo Run is happening!)