Coolest Car you have ever owned

jacksonbart

Why do people quote themselves?

I don't know, kinda strange.

Yes it is now that you mention it.

How about this car? Love the lines.

Not too different from the 66-67 Charger that finally hit the streets. The rear seats folded down so there would be more room to fit surfboards through the trunk so that's why the radical fastback (honest....that was Chrysler's intention). Still think of the AMC Marlin when I look at that car.

I agree the 1965 Rambler (AMC) Marlin has always been to me the original fastback. I was 6 years old and had a slotcar of this model.

post-17373-13819317891326_thumb.jpg

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 68 Type I Bug... a solid ride. 0 to 60 in 30 seconds, 44 mpg on the hwy.

Now this is what I would feel comfortable driving...............they sure were small inside!

Yeah, but look on the bright side; it places an upper limit to how big a girl I can date!

That is as clean inside as it is outside! Nice, not fast but nice!

Thanks. Now to me, fast is a feeling more than a speed... In a powerful well-tuned car you get a special feeling at high speed - its a combination of noise, wondering if you can slow down or stop fast enough, a sense of being on the edge of loosing control, wind, and fear/excitement/suspense..... I can get that same feeling in my bug at speeds as low as 45 mph, depending on driving conditions... With no engine in the front when you turn the wheel - it turns real fast, hungs the road like crazy, and stops on a dime on dry pavement. For tooling around the back roads using 2nd and 3rd between 30 and 50 mph it feels pretty sporty. With no power steering, no power brakes, and honestly not much power engine (35hp?), it handles well and gives great road feel. It is actually pretty safe in traffic, too, because it attracts attention much more than most modern cars - once you are seen you're much safer.

I have the production version of that car in my garage . 66 Dodge Charger . It's been garaged for the last 14 years . It was originaly a 361 ci big block car . I swapped in a 67 440 . When I took it off the road 14 years ago it was getting only 5 mpg around the city . On the Interstate I could squeeze 12 mpg out of it .

These past few years with all the money I've spent on audio and video gear I could have put it back on the road . Now I am seriously considering selling it to help with a down payment on a new home .

"Thanks. Now to me, fast is a feeling more than a speed... In a powerful well-tuned car you get a special feeling at high speed - its a combination of noise, wondering if you can slow down or stop fast enough, a sense of being on the edge of loosing control, wind, and fear/excitement/suspense..... I can get that same feeling in my bug at speeds as low as 45 mph, depending on driving conditions... With no engine in the front when you turn the wheel - it turns real fast, hungs the road like crazy, and stops on a dime on dry pavement. For tooling around the back roads using 2nd and 3rd between 30 and 50 mph it feels pretty sporty. With no power steering, no power brakes, and honestly not much power engine (35hp?), it handles well and gives great road feel. It is actually pretty safe in traffic, too, because it attracts attention much more than most modern cars - once you are seen you're much safer."

I agree. This is our island car:

post-15243-1381931789566_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to find a decent image of my one & only true love, but can't, so I'll just have to descibe it and you can use your imagination. Purchased in 1970.......

1968 Camaro RS 327ci / 275hp. Forrest green metallic with black vinyl interior and hounds-tooth cloth insert seats. Powerglide automatic with console gage cluster and airconditioning. Rims were aftermarket Keystone Kustomags with Sears' first generation steel belted radials and AM radio. Rear was the puny 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. Over time, she morphed into.....

Engine bored .060 over balanced & blueprinted with crank recieving knife-edged throws and cross-drilled & radius oil holes in journals. Clevite77 main & cam bearings. Corvette 350/350 horse cam indexed, degreed and checked for run-out. Valve train combination of Isky & Moroso. Chevy bowtie 2.02 heads ported, polished and cc'd. Intake & exhaust ports matched to exhaust headers and intake manifold. Edlebrock SP2P intake with blueprinted 650 Holley with vacuum secondary and there was various other trick bits on the motor. LOL.....I spent a week with a grinder and sander(s) smoothing the engine block to the point that once it was shot Chevy orange (natch), that my Dad said you could eat off my engine. Trans was rebuilt with shift kit and in 1978 she got a new coat of base-coat/clear-coat Forrest green metallic. Custom fitted a Craig 8-track radio (later a Pioneer cassette) with Jensen 6x9 Co-ax's in the back and 6" co-ax's in the doors.

Since going around corners got to be more fun than pulling the trigger on it in the 1/4 mile, the suspension was upgraded with Bilstein shocks and a new 1.5" sway bar in front and an added .75" sway bar in rear. All sway bar bushings were nylon to eliminate play. The roll stiffness of the car was such that using the bumper jack on the right side, I could jack up the left side of the car! Drums were replaced by discs all round. Keystones sold for Centerlines/Goodrich Radial T/A's. The car was incredibly neutral and I could steer it with throttle easily. Use to scare the crap out of friends taking a curve and handed many a "sports car" their *** on a twisty road. My Dad use to just laugh his *** off when I'd take him for a "spin". Mom hated it - probably more than my motorcycle habit.

On a Monday morning in 1982 my Dad called me asking if I had come over to the house Sunday evening and gotten the Camaro (I was living just outside of New Orleans and was keeping the car at my parents in Mississippi for "safe keeping" in anticipation of someday restoring the car). I said no, to which he replied, "Then she's been stolen." I cried. [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

Since that day, I've prayed that she took the low-bred, scab-***, gutter-**** thief to the most horrible, firery, slow death imaginable. [:@] Sorry for the long post. The loss of that car and the memories it held still brings a tear to my eye. I think some here can relate..............

Tom

I have the production version of that car in my garage . 66 Dodge Charger . It's been garaged for the last 14 years . It was originaly a 361 ci big block car . I swapped in a 67 440 . When I took it off the road 14 years ago it was getting only 5 mpg around the city . On the Interstate I could squeeze 12 mpg out of it .

These past few years with all the money I've spent on audio and video gear I could have put it back on the road . Now I am seriously considering selling it to help with a down payment on a new home .

Please post a picture of your old girl, she sounds stunning,

Well ,

I have a ton of pics of her but they are on film . Right now it's hard to find the car through all the boxes and misc. stuff . To further whet your appetite I will tell you she is an Arizona car . "No Rust ; well a little bit of surface rust , since she has been in SC , but No Holes !"

I mentioned the 440 I put in it but did not mention that the engine has the super rare 915 cylinder heads . Closed chamber , high compression , only built in 67 heads . I freshened the engine with new rings and bearings , valve springs etc.. But everything was in spec. so the engine has not been bored over . (I'm pretty sure the engine is worth more than the car !!!)

Just so you don't think I'm blowing smoke up your Wazoo here is a pic of a pic that I took on the Apache Trail outside of Phx. overlooking Canyon Lake . 9 months before I drove the car across country . "Made the trip from Phx Az in 2 1/2 days , Zero Problems ; more than I can say for the year old Mustang GT that I drove out there in !" Allthough the previous owner painted the car white and the interior blue . She is originaly a silver with red interior car . If I keep her thats what she will be returned to .

The pic was taken in 89 .

post-18289-13819317907904_thumb.jpg

1957 Chevrolet, 2 door hardtop, #5939 off the line at the Los Angeles plant back in 1957. Interesting story - as a kid always loved these cars, and back in 1983 was taking a trip out to California for a training session. I had actually purchased TWO 1957's by this time (both ridiculous, rust eaten relics in Pennsylvania - one a running 2 dr HT with 6 cyl, and one a 2 dr Sedan sans the transmission and motor). This time I was on a MISSION....

I found a copy of the Orange County RECYCLER and started leafing through it. A workmate of mine and I took many side trips across the weeks we were there looking at a number of old cars, and she found a 1952 MG TD which she bought to take back to Florida. Stoked, my search continued, until I found a candidate just North of LA in the foothills - a 1957 running 2dr hardtop, standard shift, complete. I had cash with me, and was ready to deal.

We took the drive and pulled up to the guys home. He came out and rolled the garage door open. There she was - in all her resounding splendor of blue, primer, and what could only be described as a much faded "pink" - the original but tired "Canyon Coral" factory paint. The interior had been torn up, it had bucket seats, busted windows, crooked doors, and plenty of extra parts in the trunk, including a factory power steering setup and generator. Tires were dam* near bald, and the 283 motor was plenty dirty but had a big 4 barrel Holley and headers; the floor had been hacked to fit the Muncie, and there were plenty of loose wires going nowhere. Still - I was intrigued - I couldn't see ANY rust on this baby - AND, it had the coveted one piece California front bumper!!

The owner looks at me and hands off the keys. "Wanna give it a spin?" I gingerly slip the key into the slot, and she turns to roar into a haughty symphony. The car was loud - it rattled - it sputtered - but it lived. I shut the door, put the transmission in reverse, and pulled out of the driveway. EVERYTHING was loose and sloppy; I drove it up the block and became acutely aware of my lack of safety belt, fair brakes, creaking ball joints, and tired springs. Still, it was a RUNING 1957 2 door - perfect for restoration. I returned to the driveway, elated, and handed over the $800 CASH. YUP, a lousy $800 - try to find a complete, running, solid 1957 2 door today for that price!

Here the fun begins, as I drove it away. Did I also mention it had no valid registration - in fact, it was titled to a PREVIOUS owner in another town (a hispanic gentleman) who I literally had to seek out to get it signed over to me. With no current inspection or registration, and no insurance, I headed down the hills back onto Interstate 5 for a white knuckle ride - praying the whole while to NOT meet up with a member of the California Highway patrol. This is the kind of silly thing that presumptuous, excited 23 year olds do.

I got it back to my hotel safely, and arranged for ransport back to Pennsylvania. This also cost me $800, but for a mere $1600 I had a solid classic car.

The story is much longer, but for sake of brevity, the car traveled with me across four states in various stages of restoration. A good part of my 20's (and what little money I had) was spent on a frame off restoration of this car, with a constant stream of new parts from CCCI and other vendors. Of course, I also met many others in the hobby, attended lots of shows, and generally focused my spare time on the car. It was a great time - one I won't forget.

Sadly, the car never got past primer, though sitting on a cherried out frame with new bearings, bushings, gas line, brake line, springs, motor mounts, body bolts, mount pads, new gas tank, reworked rear end, all new hoses, radiator, wiring harnesses, all body work complete, dash fully restored, new glass, new CAD plated parts - you get the idea. In 1995, I sold the car as-is for cash, taking a loss, but nonetheless accepting the fact that I was willingly letting it go.

So WHY did I let it go? Life gets in the way sometimes - it was taking up room, it wasn't being driven, it was gonna cost a LOT more to finish, I had just moved to Texas, I had a garage full of extra parts, and I saw no "horizon". To this day I have no regrets, though I DO admit as of late I have been dreaming of getting something else that is more "pocketbook friendly".

....perhaps another 1966 Mercury Comet, my first car......[:o]

Chris

Well ,

I have a ton of pics of her but they are on film . Right now it's hard to find the car through all the boxes and misc. stuff . To further whet your appetite I will tell you she is an Arizona car . "No Rust ; well a little bit of surface rust , since she has been in SC , but No Holes !"

I mentioned the 440 I put in it but did not mention that the engine has the super rare 915 cylinder heads . Closed chamber , high compression , only built in 67 heads . I freshened the engine with new rings and bearings , valve springs etc.. But everything was in spec. so the engine has not been bored over . (I'm pretty sure the engine is worth more than the car !!!)

Just so you don't think I'm blowing smoke up your Wazoo here is a pic of a pic that I took on the Apache Trail outside of Phx. overlooking Canyon Lake . 9 months before I drove the car across country . "Made the trip from Phx Az in 2 1/2 days , Zero Problems ; more than I can say for the year old Mustang GT that I drove out there in !" Allthough the previous owner painted the car white and the interior blue . She is originaly a silver with red interior car . If I keep her thats what she will be returned to .

The pic was taken in 89 .

Really sounds like a sweet ride. I don't think your blowing smoke. I hope you can keep her, the price of gas is not that high yet.