Coolest Car you have ever owned

jacksonbart

Oldbuckster said, Corvette's 63-67, the Creme of the Crop, IN MY OPINION, prices from $40,000. and UP, Top Shelf units well over $100,000.......................Brand New C6, let's call it $60,000 for the Best Corvette ever built.................You tell me what is the better deal?.........<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree with most of what you said, except the answer to the above question is not as clear as you would suggest. The well bought 63-67 Vette is likely to retain more of its purchase price than a new Corvette, which will only depreciate drastically in the foreseeable future.

That is true, unless you are like the owners of the original 63-67 cars that are demanding these high prices, and don't drive your new C6 much or at all and basically store it for 40 years. Yes it would still be a crap shoot, due to future styling tastes, fuel resources and performance, but in 40 years if our kids/grand kids are all driving electric boxes, that no doubt will out perform all cars of this generation, then you might see some interest in some of todays cars as collectable, the C6 included. I prefer to drive it now, I am not thinking about the next owner, just too damn busy enjoying myself. The early 68-82 vettes,basically 68 to 71 with the right options in great shape low miles are starting to bounce back up in value now, but again its not an investment for me its a means of enjoyment. I understand a Corvette is not everyones idea of a nice car and that's cool. I appreciate all types of cars.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldbuckster said, Corvette's 63-67, the Creme of the Crop, IN MY OPINION, prices from $40,000. and UP, Top Shelf units well over $100,000.......................Brand New C6, let's call it $60,000 for the Best Corvette ever built.................You tell me what is the better deal?.........<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree with most of what you said, except the answer to the above question is not as clear as you would suggest. The well bought 63-67 Vette is likely to retain more of its purchase price than a new Corvette, which will only depreciate drastically in the foreseeable future.

That is true, unless you are like the owners of the original 63-67 cars that are demanding these high prices, and don't drive your new C6 much or at all and basically store it for 40 years. Yes it would still be a crap shoot, due to future styling tastes, fuel resources and performance, but in 40 years if our kids/grand kids are all driving electric boxes, that no doubt will out perform all cars of this generation, then you might see some interest in some of todays cars as collectable, the C6 included. I prefer to drive it now, I am not thinking about the next owner, just too damn busy enjoying myself. The early 68-82 vettes,basically 68 to 71 with the right options in great shape low miles are starting to bounce back up in value now, but again its not an investment for me its a means of enjoyment. I understand a Corvette is not everyones idea of a nice car and that's cool. I appreciate all types of cars.

I think that people are more gun-shy about investing in a C6 to put up on blocks with the chance that they may not match the performance levels of even the family sedans of 40 years from now. Example - A co-worker of mine has a 76' Vette that only came with 210hp while my 4-door Acura TL-S came with 270hp and even with the difference in weight could just about spank her Vette! Granted she's proud of her fiberglass Chevy but she just doesn't get the full picture.

I think that people are more gun-shy about investing in a C6 to put up on blocks with the chance that they may not match the performance levels of even the family sedans of 40 years from now. Example - A co-worker of mine has a 76' Vette that only came with 210hp while my 4-door Acura TL-S came with 270hp and even with the difference in weight could just about spank her Vette! Granted she's proud of her fiberglass Chevy but she just doesn't get the full picture.

Ok now your back to pure performance, not just style. I do agree with those that posted above about differences in style,between the Stingrays, Sting Rays and the current generation. I also would not store a car for the hopes of it appreciating, if I brought the car I would want to drive it now, agree with OB about better places to put money for me anyway. For practicality your Acura is nice and a better all around vechical than a 76 vette, 1976 was not a great year for displacement for the Corvette, of course it got worse before steadily improving, but compare it to 1976 cars of its time and its not shabby. But the 'Classics' pulling in all the money today are not doing for performance alone, there is nostalgia and style, the Acura for me does not place well in those two categories.

Most Japanese cars I am aware of (don't know the specs for the aforementioned Acura) boast about their hp but don't have the torque to lay it on the road. BMW's with less hp are still faster 0 to 60 because they have much better torque curves.

Biggest problem with that Acura as it is with the Infinity/Maxima for performance is the front wheel drive layout. You can keep increasing horsepower, but if its just to the front wheels, its asking a lot for little gain and a lot of torque steer.

The C-4 is the BEST Bang for the Dollar in the Car Market today. You can get a real nice one in the $10,000. range, but they have their own set of problems to deal with. I would love to own a 63-67 Vette, but they are priced way too high for my wallet, and when it's all said and done, the C-5's and C-6's are just much more refined sportscars than the old one's....................Really, I know it's hard to admit, and I love old Muscle Cars too, but they are not as Fast, Safe, Fuel efficient, well handling, and driver friendly as the new one's. Wait a few years, the market will be flooded with C-5's and C-6's, you will be able to pick one up for a good price, and experience a truly fine sportscar at a decent price.................................

Anyway, all the cars mentioned here are the COOLEST CARS.......................................

Not like this matters but I found some specs on her C3. What is attached below is hard to read but select it all with your mouse and it's a lot easier.

0-60 mph

8.1 seconds.

1/4 Mile

16.5 ONDS @ 87.0 MPH seconds.

Engine

Engine Configuration

V

Cylinders

Aspiration/Induction

Normal

Displacement

350.00 cid |

Valves

16 valves.
2 valves per cylinder.

Valvetrain

OHV

Horsepower

210.00 HP (154.6 KW) @ 5200.00 RPM

Torque

255.00 Ft-Lbs (345.8 NM) @ 3600.00 RPM

HP to Weight Ratio

17.2 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)

Bore

4.00 in | 101.6 mm.

Stroke

3.48 in | 88.4 mm.

Compression Ratio

9.0:1

Vehicles with similar horsepower and weight

Transmission Information

Gears

Transmission

Manual

Some rough specs on the 03' Acura TL-S are:

Engine configuration: V

Cylinders: 6

Aspiration/Induction: Normal

Displacement: 3.2 Liters / 195.2 cid

Valves: 2- intake, 2-exhaust per cylinder

Valvetrain: DOHC

HP to weight ratio: 13.64 lbs. / HP

Bore: I don't know

Stroke: I don't know

Compression: 10.5:1

Transmission Gears: 5

Transmission type: Automatic with Sequential Sport Shift ability, 4 and 5 gears are both overdrive ratios.

Weight: 3,547 lbs.

Horsepower: 260

Torque: 233 lb./ft.

1/4 mile time: 14.8 sec.

1/4 mile speed: mid-90 mph

0-60 mph time: 6.2 sec.

And I will admit that I'm not drawing conclusions from styling because all of that is opinion/size of the wallet based.[;)]

Yeah, and the gas (Sunoco 260) was 35 c a gallon in those days and I got 6 mpg on my big block without flooring it and if I did that it would drop to around 4. I loved every minute of it. Drove it in the winter with four Mohawk studded snow tires and it worked great except when trying to turn the positraction would keep the car going straight and had to push in the clutch so I could turn. Sometimes my complexion was ghost white. The winter driving took out the frame after 8 years and also the calipers. On the turnpike had a race on solid ice roads with a Cadillac that passed me at 68 mph then I passed him at 70 mph. Now that was a real pants crapper. Wake up in cold sweats every once in a while.

JJK

I have certainly had better cars, but my first car, and probably the most fun was a '56 English Ford Prefect. It had four tiny cylinders, and a three speed tranny. It would do 55mph going downhill. Man, was that a fun car.

My first car was a two door '61 Ford Falcon in 1966. 144cid. The smallest American made 6 banger at the time as I recall. Cute little car. After cutting wheel-wells, new springs, B&M hydro, 410 gears, and eveything that one can imagine with such a change, I dropped a Ford 390 in it. Cammed up, moderate high-rise aluminum, with two 4's. (ran better with one 850cfm, but what did a kid know back then) What a blast for a high school kid of the day! Would work all week to replace twisted axils & 10" Shaffer clutches, just get it on the road for the weekend. I came from a family of modest income, and always worked durring school to be able to fund a car that would blow away the "daddy gift" of GTO's, Roadrunners, 396 Chevills(sp?) and the best Mustangs of the time. (OK, OK, maybe not the 426ci Roadrunners)[:D] Bottom line, I always loved the sleeper.

As an adult, I bought a "83 Toyota Supra five speed. Only about 180hp, but fun, with nice black leather and a top end.. Got me into the "luxury touring" frame of mind. Nice to cruise at 90mph all day and be comfortable at the same time. I was getting older.

Next was the '91 Supra turbo. 230hp and even more comfortable. Targa tops, the best of three for the old man. I put some money into that one. Board out, new flat top Venoila pistons, Bullet- proof bottom end, more aggressive cams, new intercooler, new turbo, new exhaust system. Smoked everything until I met the ZR-1(?) Vet.

"95 was the twin-turbo Supra. 320hp. Toyota's last attempt to compete in performance with the 300 series from its Japanese competers .(did the mods for this one also) On paper, (never tested) it exceeded 415hp. Built extremely light, it blew the 300's away. (and the Vet's) Not the performence luxury touring of old, but a 170mph car.(proven) Noisy, uncomfortable, and bare bones.

Best car I ever owned was the '91 Supra.

I have certainly had better cars, but my first

car, and probably the most fun was a '56 English Ford Prefect. It had

four tiny cylinders, and a three speed tranny. It would do 55mph going

downhill. Man, was that a fun car.

Reminds me of my first car... a 1949 Morris Minor.

Hey Marvel that was also my very first car, i bought it with my paper round money from one of my customers when i was sixteen and living in England, . Pretty sure i only paid ten pounds ($20?). Had those crappy vacuum operated wipers, the faster you tried to go the slower they went.

Hey Marvel that was also my very first car, i bought it with my paper round money from one of my customers when i was sixteen and living in England, . Pretty sure i only paid ten pounds ($20?). Had those crappy vacuum operated wipers, the faster you tried to go the slower they went. Here's my latest project. May not be the coolest but you do'nt see too many parked by the side of you.

post-21054-1381931833639_thumb.jpg