Coolest Car you have ever owned

jacksonbart

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice Hyundai Sonata, chops!

Thanks, Mike.

I really miss that car, but fortunately it found itself a good home somewhere near where I live. Every once in a while I'll see it going down the road. Just a couple weeks ago, my bro and I were out in my Miata and I saw it coming up the road. It was all nice and clean (which means it's being taken care of) and there was some young chick driving it. Pretty cool. I wonder if the stereo is still in it. I did a stealth install and built a two layer false floor in the trunk and mounted both amps, DSP, 1.5F cap, 12" sub and enclosure, and all associated cables and such underneith. To the untrained eye, you wouldn't know the difference. All the speakers, tweeters and passive crossovers were all hidden behind the stock grills and panels. The ONLY thing visable was the Alpine headunit and front tweeters in the stock locations, but again, no one noticed them being aftermarket. BTW, the entire stereo install was completed without a single thing bolted to the car. Everything in the trunk was held in place by friction only! For the 4AWG power cable, I had to drill a single 1/2" hole in the firewall behind the pedals to run the cable to the rear. That was the ONLY hole ever cut in this car.

Yeah, that was a sweat ride for sure, but I still love my little MX5 Roadster and don't regret buying it. [H]

Alpine HU, preamp only (no internal amps)...

P2251515.jpg

Line driver installed in glove box...

P3111819.jpg

The MB Quart tweeters in stock location...

P2251518.jpg

MB Quart mids... (behind stock grills)

P2251519.jpg

Me wiring up the crossovers...

P2251522.jpg

Prep work. Notice the first raised false floor that the amps are mounted to and cap mounted on back side of sub which fits prefectly inside the spare tire well...

IMG_9005.jpg

First false floor installed with everything wired up and ready to go...

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

Second false floor being installed with integrated subwoofer grill...

IMG_9105.jpg

IMG_9111.jpg

And the completed trunk. The two wires hanging on either side right below the rear deck are the stock speaker wires which obviously were not used. I tucked them up out of the way later...

IMG_9116.jpg

I know guys/gals... Sorry, I got a little carried away with the car thing. I am just so proud of that car and the work I did to it, and none of this shows all of the other customs mods I made to it, engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes, etc, etc... And for just one last pic for good measure. [:P]

DSCF1011.jpg

Funny you should post auto audio pics.....one of my friends WAS still running an old US AMPS tube/active crossover setup.

Talk about bringing back memories.! MBQ's......yeah man! Running Q's (uprfont-biamped), Premiums (rear-biamped) and Reference tweets in the A pillars via the HU. You all would laugh if you knew how this system was wired, but it works amazingly well for a "bastardized" afterthought design.

The car bug got me too, and that is how I lost touch w/Home Entertainment for 20 years. Hell, I have almost 75% more in my car system, than my home setup, but gotta put the money where you spend the most time, and that is on-the-road, for me.

First comment, lister states MOPARS are 401K's.......................If you planning on a car to take care of your retirement, you are mis-informed, the bottom on cars could fall out at any time........................Barret-Jackson and others have run the prices of cars sky-high, amasing what a camera can do.................CLONED cars now bring in as much as real unrestored cars do.................$100,000. for a Blue Charger.............watched a Cuda with a HEMI bring in a $1,000,000.+ what a joke.....................If you are into cars for the MONEY, your making a big mistake.............wrong reason to get into cars, put your money in the Stock Market, same difference..................Funny part is, most of Jackson Barret cars are bought for musuems, by old men with Big Money to spend, those are not average guys like us trying to buy a driver, or RICH PRIVATE Collectors who will never drive them, just brag about them........................Old Muscle Cars that don't handle, get lousy gas mileage, and REALLY AREN'T that fast, and go only in a straight line, great to brag about, trust me, a new Corvette will bury an old Corvette, a new Mustang will blow the doors off old Mustangs, and both cars will get good gas mileage..................and pass emissions standards.................

Oldbuckster...What??? You actually think I'm going to buy it? Okay, IF I was Jay Leno I probably would, but I'm not. I posted the link out of nostaglia and a reality check of where car prices are going for those who have more money than sense...

Personally, I'd love to have the time and money to play with a vintage Toronado again. The body is an art form that I can ID with. I don't care if no one else does, or if I had to sell it afterward that it didn't fetch a million dollars. I wouldn't be doing it for "them"...just "me".

JJKIZAK, I couldn't agree with you more. It's all about STYLE. Yeah, today's higher tech cars will out perform yesterdays...and for less money. That's not the point. Some car styles will with stand the test of time, while others are tomorrows Yugos. To paraphase Harley owners, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't under stand"

Sorry if I've offended anyone....

What? German and Italian cars? Whatever happend to good ole' american muscle?

Although, I must admit I have a passion for Audi's myself!

.....and here we preach "BUY AMERICAN"

Buy American speakers (Klipsch). The US gave up long ago the market for driving enthusiasts. Recently there has been an effort to regain it, but too little, too late, and too expensive.

I'm going to start out with a memory test, then see if I can decipher that to a coolest one.

1966 Mustang 289

1973 Camaro, 350, rebuilt/modded several times

1973 Ford Pinto (KICK BUTT stereo in 1979)

1974 (?) Toyota Corona

197X Chevy Chevelle

197X AMC Pacer

1986 Saab 99

1983 Renault LeCar

1973 AMC Javelin

1982(?) Fiat Strada

1987 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1982 Mazda RX7

1984 Mazda RX7

1985 Honda Accord

1982 Chevy Monte Carlo

1982 Toyota 4WD Pickup

1989 Chevy Cavalier Z24

1991 Olds Delta 88

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.4L w/Man 5 speed, almost rare. Still have

1996 Chevy Blazer

1998 Chevy Blazer

2000 Olds Bravada (Do you see a lease pattern here?)

2001 GMC Jimmy (Out of the lease, bought outright)

1996 Chevy Monte Carlo

I'm going to leave it here, but I feel I'm missing a few somewhere. So far, the coolest has to be the Pinto. The stereo picked up chicks. No, it was the Mustang, classic lines and dusted a few Camaros in my time. No it was the 84 RX, I brought it back from dead, the engine was locked tight, but enough trans fluid, then Coke a Cola in the carb finally got it to break free and worked for a couple years with very low oil consumption. Actually, it would have to be the Javelin, I bought it from the daughter of the original owner, had good intentions of getting it back to exact, but it got stolen, they burnt up the engine on the highway, I ended up paying a couple hundred bucks in towing/storage fees for a car with no engine. OK, right now, my coolest car is the Monte I'm driving now. I have 300 in the car, 300 in a transmission, one evening mating the two, and it gets me to work and back every day. I think that's pretty cool.

Actually, the Javelin had it. Had done pinstripes across the fender arches and melded them end to end, was pretty cool. Had great plans, but wasn't to be.

Oldbuckster...What??? You actually think I'm going to buy it? Okay, IF I was Jay Leno I probably would, but I'm not. I posted the link out of nostaglia and a reality check of where car prices are going for those who have more money than sense...

Personally, I'd love to have the time and money to play with a vintage Toronado again. The body is an art form that I can ID with. I don't care if no one else does, or if I had to sell it afterward that it didn't fetch a million dollars. I wouldn't be doing it for "them"...just "me".

JJKIZAK, I couldn't agree with you more. It's all about STYLE. Yeah, today's higher tech cars will out perform yesterdays...and for less money. That's not the point. Some car styles will with stand the test of time, while others are tomorrows Yugos. To paraphase Harley owners, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't under stand"

Sorry if I've offended anyone....

Oh don't get me wrong, I was just making a general statement in response to the lister on e-bay, CARS ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT, they are also, NOT A 401K.............................I play around with cars, always have, but to get involed with the Car Business to make money, is kinda foolish, and just pointing out, that Jackson-Barret is really a Rich, Old Guys, collectors club that is pushing up car prices, and a bunch of ego-manics that love the TV Camera's..............................As far as old muscle cars go................Name me one area where a Vintage Corvette does anything better than a New Corvette????????? Are they faster.......NO, do they get better gas mileage.........NO, Do they handle better...........NO, Do they stop better............NO, Let's talk about price...................Corvette's 63-67, the Creme of the Crop, IN MY OPINION, prices from $40,000. and UP, Top Shelf units well over $100,000.......................Brand New C6, let's call it $60,000 for the Best Corvette ever built.................You tell me what is the better deal?.........................I love Muscle cars, I love Sports Cars, I would really like to own a Street Rod, So, I'm am not against Classic Cars at all, just the idea that you can get rich off them, turns me off. Cars are about Love of the hobby, not getting rich..................Gee, I wish now I could take my 911 for a ride, this car talk fires me up..................................Sorry, don't mind me, just an old guy rambling, and drooling, I took no offense at all, there really is nothing else to write about this time of day................................

Oldbuckster said, Corvette's 63-67, the Creme of the Crop, IN MY OPINION, prices from $40,000. and UP, Top Shelf units well over $100,000.......................Brand New C6, let's call it $60,000 for the Best Corvette ever built.................You tell me what is the better deal?.........<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I agree with most of what you said, except the answer to the above question is not as clear as you would suggest. The well bought 63-67 Vette is likely to retain more of its purchase price than a new Corvette, which will only depreciate drastically in the foreseeable future.

...that is true...for now (and probably my life time)...however my '01 gets about 18MPG in the city (as does my Mazda 6...guess which one is faster...[:P][;)]) and supposed to get about 26 on the highway...(I only saw 23MPG to Bowling Green from Chicago...driving rain storm all the way...10 hours...drove like a dream)

guess which one, the old Stingray or a newer vintage Corvette...will start everytime you turn the key...

Bill