How to be ticked off without being ticked off

SCOOTERDOG

Well where do I start...

We had a new member on our board that contacted me about purchasing my video processor I had for sale. I worked with him on how to set it up and even sent him a copy of the manual all prior to him buying the unit. He contacted me and said he would like to purchase it so I set it up and he bought the unit. He for what ever reason could not hook it up correctly even with me explaining what to do. He kept going back to the same way he wanted to hook it up but to no avail could not get it the way he wanted even though to me it seemed as if he was not paying attention to what I was telling him.

So he said he wanted to send it back to me. Normally I would not do this if it were an ebay sale as I always guaranty what I sell not to be doa and exactly as described. Being that he was a newbie here I decided to go ahead and refund the money back to him as I would to any of my board members. I guess what ticked me off the most was the fact he did not listen to what I was telling him hook up wise but the biggest thing was the fact he sent me an email asking for the refund and then he calls me from the UPS center wanting my address to ship it back to without me even agreeing to the refund first even though I sent him an email that he must not have read.

It's interesting though he had only one post and that is the one regarding my processor. According to his post count it was just the one only. I guess from now on I plan on only selling items to forum members with some history instead of a fly by night that joins looks around and never returns. Its not so much the fact that I refunded him its more I feel he used it to see if thats what he wanted.

Live and Learn

scooter

Nope did not refund the shipping cost.

Darn did not think about the toilet paper...next time! Arrggg there will be no more next time. Maybe I can send a roll anyways.

I tell you what. If you want to pay for shipping to and from of the La Scala's to try in a 5.1 All La Scala HT then next year while on vacation we can do this. Just not sure the cost for packaging those bad boys and at 150lbs each with packing I don't know if UPS will ship them, may have to be common carrier. But wait! Maybe the we should talk to the guy that borrowed my processor for a week maybe he has an idea how to do this.

Come to think of it as much as I trust almost everyone here I think I'll just keep the La Scala's for now :)

Come to think of it as much as I trust almost everyone here I think I'll just keep the La Scala's for now :)

You mean you are not willing to box em up, ship them to me and let me wrastle them around, clunking them into my other speakers, moving across my concrete floor (unfinished basement), sliding them past my columns, open doors, allowing my cats to crawl in them???

How RUDE! [;)]

By the way, I had a single LaScala shipped to me (empty cabinet) and it was delivered Fed-Ex ground. Jon (Cornwalled) sent it and it was VERY well packed. Net packing/shipping was $200 (he gave me the empty cabinet). I think they also double boxed it.

[:D]

Scooter - maybe this will help you feel better since you got your product back.

I've never told this b4...too embarrassing.

There was a guy came on here about 2yrs ago wanting to trade his pair of spks for a receiver. I responded & we agreed to an even swap. I shipped the receiver & he said it arrived damaged. He says he will take it to a service center for testing. That should have been my 1st red flag but I always look for the good in folks...so off I go shipping him another receiver I have on hand. This one he apparantly likes cause he is in audio bliss.

As time goes by no spks only excuses. Finally admits he needs shipping money. Yep, that's right I send it to him. Weeks go by still no spks. Well apparantly he needed this money to fill his subwoofer pot. This little story is in condensed version. I have every email correspondence for almost 1 yr including where he admits efn me. Considered contacting a D.A. in his Indiana town but decided to cut my losses. At this point my time is more valuable.

So I agree dealing with regulars is great but I won't deal with a newbie again.

Scooter - maybe this will help you feel better since you got your product back.

I've never told this b4...too embarrassing.

There was a guy came on here about 2yrs ago wanting to trade his pair of spks for a receiver. I responded & we agreed to an even swap. I shipped the receiver & he said it arrived damaged. He says he will take it to a service center for testing. That should have been my 1st red flag but I always look for the good in folks...so off I go shipping him another receiver I have on hand. This one he apparantly likes cause he is in audio bliss.

As time goes by no spks only excuses. Finally admits he needs shipping money. Yep, that's right I send it to him. Weeks go by still no spks. Well apparantly he needed this money to fill his subwoofer pot. This little story is in condensed version. I have every email correspondence for almost 1 yr including where he admits efn me. Considered contacting a D.A. in his Indiana town but decided to cut my losses. At this point my time is more valuable.

So I agree dealing with regulars is great but I won't deal with a newbie again.

Man ain't that the truth

Hello,

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff through the years.I used to ship everywhere I feel your pain. I have meet a bunch of nice people from this forum that I have sold to. That is why I sell local only now. The person gets to inspect it and feel comfortable with the sale.I can answer any questions that they may have not that I am no expert although I do work in the industry, just a guy with one crazy and expensive hobby.

rmlowz

Hello, 

I feel your pain, but just wanted to let you know that not all us newbies are trouble.  I am new to the forum but have been a huge fan, and owner, of Klipsch speakers for over 10 years.  I recently bought a speaker off the forum from a member (who can identify himself if he wishes) and the transaction went smoothly.  

I am glad that this thread has not turned into general newbie hating, but was not that suprised considering how welcoming everyone here is.  

I can also say that not all of us with limited posts are merely transitory visitors trying to take advantage of the board and its members.  I visit often, but rarely post because I am so humbled by the knowledge many of you seem to have.  Don't worry, I am trying to soak as much as possible so I wil be able to contribute more soon.

It sounds like a bunch of you got some pretty raw deals, but just thought someone should stick up for us that are new to the board.

Thanks,
Charlie

I'ze sorry scooter, I really is.... I just couldn't figger out which side of the speaker cable plugged into the wide hole and which went into the narrow hole of the AC outlet! And then I didn't have a wire for the little round hole under the 2 slits! Its damned confusing!

Oh, don't get us wrong...we still "hate" em, we just don't say it outright.[:#]

Signed,

the biggest newbie here [*-)][:P]

Oh no, now someone is going to think this is real! (OK, I think (read hope) that qualifies as a disclaimer...)