Are you an apologetic audiophile?

maxg

Max,

Another great subject like many you have started lately! I wish I had time to carefully analyze every single word I would like to say and dive in. But fortunately for your main subject intent I'm too busy at the moment and since me entering it would surely cause someone/ anyone or possibly everyone to misread what I type you will have a better chance of reaching your intented purpose of it. Folks this subject should provide great insight if it stays on subject.

Merry Christmans and happy Holidays to all

Craig

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Who, you unknowingly wrote what is wrong about audio engineers when you note $200,000 in the hands of an audio engineer would result in an audio experience that would sound better and measure better than $200,000 in the hands of the unwashed. Oftentimes folks without degrees in their field do wonders because they aren't taught how they need to think. Good examples who readily comes to mind are Paul Klipsch and the clockmaking engineers at Hammond Clock Company who invented Hammond organs.

Dr. Who, you unknowingly wrote what is wrong about audio engineers when you note $200,000 in the hands of an audio engineer would result in an audio experience that would sound better and measure better than $200,000 in the hands of the unwashed. Oftentimes folks without degrees in their field do wonders because they aren't taught how they need to think. Good examples who readily comes to mind are Paul Klipsch and the clockmaking engineers at Hammond Clock Company who invented Hammond organs.

I guess it depends on how one defines a good engineer...I believe it was Einstein who compared his ingenuity to that of thinking like a child. I edited my post to say "good audio engineer" - as you bring up a good point that there are lots of crappy ones out there [:(]

Max, yet another incredible thread topic with the best intent as always[;)]

Before I speak of why I'm a proud Audiophile/Enthusiast I want to mention one thing I observered from your other hobby breakdown and that unlike so many other hobbies this one is very subjective to each individuals hearing and what they percieve to be good sound reproduction.

We have all heard the stories or actually been in the live situation to see/hear a $2,500.00 dollar system just walk all over one costing 3 times as much and with that said maybe you/we were the only ones that felt that way based on my assertion that we all have different hearing.

First and foremost it is about the music for me as I am happy when listening to my Mini iPod, my cars MD receiver, the meager HT system setup for my family or my main rig. Now I'm not saying that the quality or resolution is near the same on any of them especially my bit compressing MD but then again for the lovely environment of the ever redlined Golf it works like a champ[:D]

I'm a guy and as such I love finely built equipment and so it is I do have an affinity to nice gears also but like others have mentioned we know our own wallets and hopefully most of us understand returns on investment like the fine gentleman who enjoys his RF-7's but money willing knows what he likes and would get with those 802d's (I might even be a wittle biased on that brand myself LOL). To me as has been said we Audiophiles are unique individuals and I feel safe to say regarless of how we hear we are all striving for pretty much the same thing and that is the best sound reproduction we can honestly afford.

I like many others have been blessed in that I have had a life long buddy in the high end business which has allowed me to purchase most of my high dollar gear at a saleman comp and I have always felt very blessed in that fact but as I said if all I could afford was a Gerrard all in one that is where I'd be to always have music which I'd venture to say is my/our get away from it all enjoyment and why I'm in the hobby. Of course with me it did not help when my older brother (Stationed in Germany in the late '60's) sent me as an 11 year old a beautiful Grundig Valve Shortwave Stereo which ignited my lust for fine audio gear (Curse You Aquascum[:D]). God love him[A]

I don't apologize for being an Audiophile I just know I'm in with some of the finest company around[;)] As has been said most people that come and hear my system can't fathom what I have spent and don't have an inkling of what drives my passion but in this community I feel everyone connects at that passion level and that really makes me proud of being in this hobby[8-|]

Might I add Happy Holidays to all you un-apologetic music nutz[:P]

Apologetic? No. Really loud about it? Nope. Part of this is the Puritan conditioning not to talk overmuch about one's material goods. Part of it is to be a well-rounded companionable person who gets along with a wide range of people. Never wanted to be a monomanical know-it-all. I work primarily with engineers, EEs and MEs, and the kind of audiophoolory that goes on makes them laugh. Some of these guys have multi-kilobuck systems they bought after carefully reviewing the products. I may not agree with every choice they made, but I can't argue with their deliberate approach. They (and I) have many interests and audio is one among many. Not to mention that our spouses and children are the focus of our lives. I and most of my audio-savvy peers have reached our personal levels of audio contentment and aside from bigger video monitors or easier to use remotes, our tweaking is done. I know I need to rebuild my CW II crossovers. That is a function of age, not tweaking per se.

You might say that I'm an apologetic audiophile to my wife and a little of an embarrased audiophile here. Recently a thread asked people to itemize their equipment and what was paid for it. I did not reply. I did not start with this forum in earnest until after I'd made some big purchases. Some of those were not necessary and I could've done as well sonically for a lot less. But that's H2O under the bridge. Now from the people here I make informed choices and decisions. They've been good choices for the $$ and the results show everytime I fire up the system (everyday for around 12 hours). I wish I had more of the technical sense and talents others obviously wield. Yet those wonderful folks are so willing to share what they know and are patient with my loony questions. I don't have any around where I live that I can compare systems with. I just get to smile when people come visit and are amazed at the reproduction. I would not be arrogant about the $$ invested or the sound quality rendered. I'm not embarrased to run only digital sources and do not run tubed equipment. I like stereophonic music and always wanted to have what I own today. A few regrets, absolutely no disappointment and a ton of pride.

Obviously my pm did not work or I was not worth the time[:o]

Obviously your taking my post way too serious.. I simply meant that just don't have time to do the subject justice now and I wish that everyone enjoys it and has a great holiday season.

Is there something wrong with that?? You know your not my mother [;)]

Craig

Oh super - almost noone got the point - not quite the writer I thought I was.

You can be an audiophile with $500 invested and a lot of time and effort.

You can have spent $250,000 on an audio system and not be an audiophile.

Neither of these are the point. The point is that on this forum, and others, if you are an audiophile and have spent a considerable sum of money on your setup (say $40,000) you are considered somehow almost an inferior being than someone who has spent, say $2,000 with a lot of time and effort. That this is the case, on an on-line forum where we will presume no-one else has heard the setup is strange to me, as an unapologetic audiophile.

Or to put it another way (to be quite clear) you really can be a music loving audiophile and have spent a huge sum ($250,000 from the above) on your system. It does not mean you value the music less, nor the equipment more, in the serving of that musical experience, other than by its capital value.

Does this mean I'm a genius because I have system that I'm very happy with and have spent a fairly modest sum on it, all things considered?

I know, that's not the point either- I really think that most of us don't value the thrift of others THAT much when it really comes down to it. I always applaud a guy who gets a good deal, but an inexpensive system with a happy owner isn't necessarily better than a megabucks system that gives the same pleasure.

Michael

You might say that I'm an apologetic audiophile to my wife and a little of an embarrased audiophile here. Recently a thread asked people to itemize their equipment and what was paid for it. I did not reply. I did not start with this forum in earnest until after I'd made some big purchases. Some of those were not necessary and I could've done as well sonically for a lot less. But that's H2O under the bridge. Now from the people here I make informed choices and decisions. They've been good choices for the $$ and the results show everytime I fire up the system (everyday for around 12 hours). I wish I had more of the technical sense and talents others obviously wield. Yet those wonderful folks are so willing to share what they know and are patient with my loony questions. I don't have any around where I live that I can compare systems with. I just get to smile when people come visit and are amazed at the reproduction. I would not be arrogant about the $$ invested or the sound quality rendered. I'm not embarrased to run only digital sources and do not run tubed equipment. I like stereophonic music and always wanted to have what I own today. A few regrets, absolutely no disappointment and a ton of pride.

Yeah, I like this- I wish we could all feel this. Good stuff Oscarsear!

I firmly believe that "good enough" is good enough.

I've put together a system that will knock any lay person on their heels - they can't say enough "wow's."

To an "audiophile," however, it's merely "mid - fi."

Good enough for me ('course I'm partialy deaf - as are most of my generation,) but what do I know? Sounds good to me.

James