Jolida or Ah Tjoeb CDP?

hondajake

Knowing that they're both widely accepted by forum members definately doesn't make your decision any easier. But IMO you couldn't go wrong with either one of 'em. If prices for both are within your budget, then I suppose you could choose the one tube player that fits your personal tastes...both are good looking, well-built players that are easily modded if you're into that sort of thing.

I dunno...since you already own a JoLida product, a matching JoLida disc player would be a nice addition to your system.

Still can't decide? Flip a coin...heads, pick the JD-100; tales, it's the Ajoe Tjoeb.[A]

Hondajake,

I have owned both the Ah! and Jolida CD players. No doubt the Ah! has reached near cult status and has a large support base, what with Upscale Audio, and all, but for my money, I found the Jolida 100 to be a much more refined sounding player. Admittedly, I did not hot-rod my Ah! with all the gizmo's that are offered for them today, but with a pair of Tungsram 12AX7s in place, the Jolida beat the stock Ah! hands down.

Like you, I had a Jolida 1701A int. amp, at the time (awesome amp, buy the way) and the synergy between the two was unmistakeable. Honestly, for the money, the two Jolida's are very hard to beat, especially the 1701A. I had Galen Carol Audio mod my 1701A with Cardas speaker outputs, RCAs, and internal Litz-wire, and the sound was out of this world. I still kick myself in the a... for selling it. I hope this helps.

William

Hi Jake,

My pleasure. I know how difficult it is to make a choice, sometimes. I must amend my earlier statement, where I said I had Tungsram 12AX7s in the Jolida 100. I had the Tungsram's in the 1701A, and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the Jolida 100.

The Jolida100 has great bones, and is a very well built machine. To put them into perspective, I used the duo to drive a pair of Magnepan MG-12s and the sound from the Maggies was simply stunning (sorry, I know this is a Klipsch forum). But the point I am trying to make is, one would have to spend two, three times the amount to better the sound and quality of the Jolida pair. JMHO.

William

Thanks guys for all the input! I think I have made my mind. I want something more refined than my Sony ES, that is about 10 years old.

I have the LPS tubes in stock here, since I had them in my 1701. Now I have EI tubes, and I just ordered some Tung Sol 12AX7's.

Thanks again!

JoLida gear do look good together.[Y]

Personally, I never cared much for Ajoe Tjoeb's use of Marantz chassis (nothing against Marantz, mind you...I just think they should keep their chassis strictly for themselves). I think it's time for Ajoe Tjoeb to build their own unique chassis that stand out from Marantz or anything else, but I'm sure that would drive the cost of the player up at least a hundred bucks, if not more!

post-11084-1381931837237_thumb.jpg

No, Jake, that's NOT my system (I wish). I guess I downloaded that pic a year or two ago from either their website or an eBay auction they were hosting.

You can click either on my website or my System Profile here on the forum to see my system (nothing like that JoLida rig)!

Mullard CV4004. I surfed the web about tube rolling the player, and that tube kept coming up as the best tube for it. Larger soundstage than the stock tubes and much smoother, without losing commensurate detail. Do not necessarily know if the Mullards are the "grail" tube for the Jolida or not, but I love them in the player.

Carl.