Song most responsible for altering your sense of reality

Ray Garrison

Have you heard a song - you didn't know who it was, never heard anything like it before, found yourself different, somehow, after hearing it... I know for many people on this forum, the answer's going to be something from the classical library, or possibly a jazz recording never heard before, or the first "real" rock n' roll or heavy metal or something...

I was reminded of this today, for some reason... 1987. I was at a club called The Grotto in New Haven (sadly long gone now.) Dark place, converted warehouse, local bands and ecclectic weirdos (and me) favorite hang out late at night after work. I was there one night drinking a Bombay Martini and I heard, uh, this

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still enjoy a few beers, sitting in a dimly lit room, and listening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond (the entire song) at a rather loud volume.

[Y][Y]Excellent choice

he says as he cracks open a cold beer, leans back in a soft chair in a darkened room and turns it up!!

To many songs to mention, but should you have asked for a band or music group; that would narrow it down between two bands I saw as a youngster at an Austin, Texas pub. I saw them at different intervals, as I use to frequent Austin's night life quite often when I would drive down there from A&M to visit a girl friend I had down there. Man, those were the days for me. The ones I'll never forget.

"O'Ryans Island", they were one hell of band and live performers. Deep lyrics with somewhat somber melodys, way too kool of a band, and far ahead of their time. The lyrics to their songs made you think about who you are and were you wana go. Similar to U2, but very very different. I still have a CD from them, and I made mutiple copies to ensure I always had their music.

then there's was a group called

"LZ Shaker"; they made me sit back and say holy shyt!, that sounds so damm good... what the hell are they doing here in this hole-in-the-wall club. They too had awsome lyrics, tied to wild but tasteful melodies. I had scarfed up a trial cassette from them, but lost it during my move to Florida. The lyrics of their songs were also deep.

For me, Neil Young's transic guitar solos on "Cowgirl in the Sand", mainly on Live at Fillmore East, but also the studio cut on the Everybody Knows this is Nowhere album. "Down by the River" studio cut is also transforming for me.

"Cortez the Killer" on Neil Young's Zuma record is also like this for me.

Loud&Clear

• Moderators

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys....Traffic..............................Theme for an Imaginary Western....Mountain

I love that song, I need to get that CD, never owned a copy of that but every time I heard it I wanted a copy.

OB, was that song different than the rest on the album or is the style similar ? Don't recall other Traffic music to compare it to.

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys....Traffic..............................Theme for an Imaginary Western....Mountain

I love that song, I need to get that CD, never owned a copy of that but every time I heard it I wanted a copy.

OB, was that song different than the rest on the album or is the style similar ? Don't recall other Traffic music to compare it to.

The whole album is excellent.............It was a new, bigger line-up with the Muscle Shoals rythmn section, Barry beckett on keyboards, David Hood on Bass, and Roger Hawkins on drums, of course Steve, Chris Jim, and ol' Reebop..................Great stuff...............I don't feel you can compare other Traffic to it, it stands alone.............I love early Traffic with Steve, Chris, Jim, and Dave Mason, but this is a whole other level of Traffic music, Low Spark is high on my favorite list....................One more bit of info..........this same line-up recorded Traffic- On The Road, get the Remastered version, it has more songs...........Great line-up.............Sorry, I get carried away, but this is what I like best, the MUSIC..................You will never go wrong with Traffic...................Steve Winwood, the voice of a generation (mine)........................EH...........

It must be Steve's day,I just watched Steve play Mr Fantasy live at Bonnaroo 2004(dvd).He's lookin a little old(like everyone else)but played a very respectable lead gutiar for what I always considered a keyboard man.

It must be Steve's day,I just watched Steve play Mr Fantasy live at Bonnaroo 2004(dvd).He's lookin a little old(like everyone else)but played a very respectable lead gutiar for what I always considered a keyboard man.

Funny you bring that up......................I personally never cared for Steve's guitar playing.........I'm not saying he can't play, I just liked him better at the keyboards.................He always struck me as straining to play guitar...............Steve and Dave missed a great chance to get Traffic back together, not really sure what happened, Rock Star Ego maybe, but it's too late now...............It's like Van Halen...25 year anniverary....No tour.....Dumb, they should have had Dave and Sammy together on the same stage.................Dave and Sammy had already toured together...................and they could have done it, those two aren't stupid when it comes to money..................Instead, they all missed out..........would have been SOLD OUT everywhere......Rock Star Ego's..........................EH......