GOOD GOD, SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS ONE....

Gilbert

I am not telling anyone not to buy it...............It is not my place to tell you how or where to spend your money...........Nor will I tell you how much to spend for a stereo, I'm only saying that I would not get that deep into a stereo..............I think that is alot of money for old,used equipment, with no warranty, as-is terms, and I really question how much better that equipment can sound? If I had the means to afford such gear, maybe I would buy it, but that is not the case. Wow, I'm shell shocked at those prices.............Gee, I thought new Khorns were expensive, they are cheap next to that power amp, that still needs a pre-amp................I guess I need to get out of my house more often, and see what's going on. Is that why SET amps are so popular here, because they are less expensive than units like that? I'll bet before this thread is done, someone will step forward and say that is cheap for that unit......................unbelievable

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8b's have been ranging from $2000 to $2500 lately. 7c's are going in the $3500 range. I think the Monos go above ten grand.

Craig had my 8b in his hands and was very, very
impressed. I do believe Maron and Cigari both have 7c and 8b
setups and love them.

GaryMD sold his 7c and bought the Blueberry Extreme and likes it over the 7c.

I run mine with a 7T (ss) and you can hear the grain from the pre, but
still a sweet combo. Thanks to a tip from Guy Landau, I got the
7T for $300 and they now go for around $450 to $550.

OB, you have to realize that in this particular instance these are as
collectable as fine art and will never depreciate. It's an
investment that you can listen to. How cool is that!.

Investment
wise I've had the 8b for probably less then two years and in that time
it's average ebay price has gone up $500 or $600, in other words at
least 25%. Where else can you can that kind of return on your
money while using the asset.

Of course I only paid $50 for my one
owner amp (yes I had to sneak that in) so the return on investment is
at least 40 times what I paid for it. Have no idea what that
percentage is.

My opinion is that if you've got the extra
dough, go for it, you certainly won't lose any money. If you've
really got the dough grab the monos, they will appreciate even more.

I may buy a complete vintage Marantz set just for fun, provided this email I just received is legitimate. I don't care what they cost!

Dear One,

I am Eric Banna and My sister is Stella Banna.,we are from Ivory coast.Our parents Mr and Mrs John Banna.were assassinated by the rebels following the political uprising. My father was a serving director of the Cocoa exporting board. Before his death he had a foreign account here in Ivory Coast up to the tune of $18.5 Million which he told the bank that it was for the importation of cocoa processing machine. I want you to do me a favour to receive these funds to a safe account in your country or any safer place as the beneficiary.

I have plans to do investment in your country, like real estate and industrial production. This is my reason for writing to you. Please if you are willing to assist me and my only sister, indicate your interest in replying, a handsome reward awaits you as you consider to assist us transfer this money for investment, your percentage would be discussed on your positive response to this request.

I await anxiously to hear from you so that we will discuss
the modalities of this transaction.

THANKS AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

YOURS SINCERELY,
Eric Banna.

I may buy a complete vintage Marantz set just for fun, provided this email I just received is legitimate. I don't care what they cost!

Dear One,

I am Eric Banna and My sister is Stella Banna.,we are from Ivory coast.Our parents Mr and Mrs John Banna.were assassinated by the rebels following the political uprising. My father was a serving director of the Cocoa exporting board. Before his death he had a foreign account here in Ivory Coast up to the tune of $18.5 Million which he told the bank that it was for the importation of cocoa processing machine. I want you to do me a favour to receive these funds to a safe account in your country or any safer place as the beneficiary.

I have plans to do investment in your country, like real estate and industrial production. This is my reason for writing to you. Please if you are willing to assist me and my only sister, indicate your interest in replying, a handsome reward awaits you as you consider to assist us transfer this money for investment, your percentage would be discussed on your positive response to this request.

YOURS SINCERELY,

Eric Banna.

Parrot, try selling a Corvette, or any car online and you will get 3 or 4 a day of those things................I will never try to sell a car over the internet again, NEVER, just because of that....................or the old three party pay plan..................so many scammers online, it's sickening

Dear One,

YOURS SINCERELY,

Eric Banna.

LOLOLOLOL [:D]

PS> To the OP- The 8B is a steal for less than a grand

The 2's will go for 5 figures IMO

WopOnTour

"I run mine with a 7T (ss) and you can hear the grain from the pre, but still a sweet combo. Thanks to a tip from Guy Landau, I got the 7T for $300 and they now go for around $450 to $550.

OB, you have to realize that in this particular instance these are as collectable as fine art and will never depreciate. It's an investment that you can listen to. How cool is that!.

Investment wise I've had the 8b for probably less then two years and in that time it's average ebay price has gone up $500 or $600, in other words at least 25%. Where else can you can that kind of return on your money while using the asset."

Thebes accurately paints the picture. These amps do hold their value and are appreciated like fine art. My Marantz 8B is glorious, and especially run by my Peach preamp. I've also saved my 7T and am contemplating moving the 8B to another portion of the house and going with a 7T/8B setup. Of course, those speakers will likely be Klipsch of some vintage.

Carl.

I understand what most are saying,but you guys are in a minority, most people would not even think about spending that kind of money on audio equipment. It's just audio equipment, the only thing you can do with it, show it off, and listen to it, assuming the power is on.............I should really stop now, because I know I'm going to take some lumps over this.......................I guess in the end, it's only worth what the person buying it is willing to pay, it is not the way I would choose to spend that kind of money..............It's like I have been saying, I am not as deeply committed to this hobby as many of you are................How you choose to spend your money is up to you, and I speak only for myself, I don't agree with such a purchase, am I not entitled to my opinion? I feel $6000. is alot for a whole system, and we are talking just one piece here...............unreal

From my limited knowledge of these things, I have discovered that the Marantz 9 mono blocks are the babys to get. But what do these buggers sell for. Consider a pair in excellent to pristine condition.

Figure $20,000 if truly mint. You might be able to find a nice set for $15,000, but I doubt it . . . .

Back when you could buy MC-30s all day long for $250/pair, the 9s were ten times that.

9sa1.JPG

From my limited knowledge of these things, I have discovered that the Marantz 9 mono blocks are the babys to get. But what do these buggers sell for. Consider a pair in excellent to pristine condition.

Figure $20,000 if truly mint. You might be able to find a nice set for $15,000, but I doubt it . . . .

Back when you could buy MC-30s all day long for $250/pair, the 9s were ten times that.

9sa1.JPG

Wholly cow! Those things are gorgeous, they look like they'd put that poor little 8b to shame, and then some. What is so special about the Marantz 9's, why do they command such a price?

How often do they pop up? I think for something like that, I had better start going to some of these estate auctions they have around the old oil barron houses near downtown Tulsa. I've heard stories, and even went to a house, but when I saw the number of cars there, I decided not to bother. Any ideas where to find that kind of gear? I can't imagine someone selling that kind of gear on epay.

Well, Gil, after a day or so of thinking of a way to talk you out of the 8B I have only one answer: to get Marantz monoblocks. That's the best acceptable attempt I can come up with.

For mere mortal wallets like mine, the MC30s will probably have to do (not that this is a bad thing, hehehe)...especially given that they are in hand. I doubt that I could even afford MC30s such as I have now if I were just now setting out to purchase them - the value on all of these vintage gears just goes up, up, up!!

But if one has the $$ to obtain an amp like this 8B, I would have a helluva time talking them out of it. If there were ANY amplifier I would like to own besides the MC30s and the VRDs it would be the 8B. And unlike the Marantz 9s, they are realistically obtainable pricewise - $2500-3000ish isn't out of hand for any quality two channels of amplification.....and certainly not out of hand for the 8B, which will appreciate in value even more. An 8B is always welcome in a good vintage collection, so I say go for it!

Those things are gorgeous, they look like they'd put that poor little 8b to shame, and then some. What is so special about the Marantz 9's, why do they command such a price?

How often do they pop up? I think for something like that, I had better start going to some of these estate auctions they have around the old oil barron houses near downtown Tulsa. I've heard stories, and even went to a house, but when I saw the number of cars there, I decided not to bother. Any ideas where to find that kind of gear? I can't imagine someone selling that kind of gear on epay.

Good looking 9's are getting rare. 5 years ago, $10 grand would have bought a pretty decent pair. Now it's $17K to $20K. Back when Allan owned them, he probably sold them for a couple hundred each! I'm on the hunt for some 9's someday. I need a pair to mate up with my audio consolettes. Not that cheapo low budget Marantz Model 7.

post-15692-13819321186196_thumb.jpg