GOOD GOD, SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS ONE....

Gilbert

I understand what most are saying,but you guys are in a minority, most people would not even think about spending that kind of money on audio equipment. It's just audio equipment, the only thing you can do with it, show it off, and listen to it, assuming the power is on.............I should really stop now, because I know I'm going to take some lumps over this.......................I guess in the end, it's only worth what the person buying it is willing to pay, it is not the way I would choose to spend that kind of money..............It's like I have been saying, I am not as deeply committed to this hobby as many of you are................How you choose to spend your money is up to you, and I speak only for myself, I don't agree with such a purchase, am I not entitled to my opinion? I feel $6000. is alot for a whole system, and we are talking just one piece here...............unreal

Ob, they are collectors items. Like a painting. What the hell can you do with a Picasso but stare at it right? Most of the people buying these are collecting vintage hi-fi. I've probably spent a decent amount on some of these types of pieces. They are fun to use and to look at and if treated with respect, will appreciate in value (one would hope). When I kick the bucket, my wife and kids will be able to sell all my stuff and go have some nice vacations, maybe put a downpayment on a house or something. I keep a list of the approximate value for them to keep all you guys from swooping in and stealing them! It's not exactly a wise investment but my amps are more fun to play with than a mutual fund!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those things are gorgeous, they look like they'd put that poor little 8b to shame, and then some. What is so special about the Marantz 9's, why do they command such a price?

How often do they pop up? I think for something like that, I had better start going to some of these estate auctions they have around the old oil barron houses near downtown Tulsa. I've heard stories, and even went to a house, but when I saw the number of cars there, I decided not to bother. Any ideas where to find that kind of gear? I can't imagine someone selling that kind of gear on epay.

Good looking 9's are getting rare. 5 years ago, $10 grand would have bought a pretty decent pair. Now it's $17K to $20K. Back when Allan owned them, he probably sold them for a couple hundred each! I'm on the hunt for some 9's someday. I need a pair to mate up with my audio consolettes. Not that cheapo low budget Marantz Model 7.

Hey! I got TWO GRAND for my pair! And that included a bunch of NOS Mullard ourput tubes--like a dozen of them! That was a PILE of money in those days--the 9's were crazy expensive even then!

NICE! How long have you had the pair of 1's and he 6? BEAUTIFUL! FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!! My all time dream preamp--never even seen the whole package in person. NICE!

You need the model 3 tube crossovers and the model 4 power supplies too! You know, get the whole package!!

But you probably already have them!!

http://classic-audio.com/marantz/0003.html

[Hey! I got TWO GRAND for my pair! And that included a bunch of NOS Mullard ourput tubes--like a dozen of them! That was a PILE of money in those days--the 9's were crazy expensive even then!

NICE! How long have you had the pair of 1's and he 6? BEAUTIFUL! FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!! My all time dream preamp--never even seen the whole package in person. NICE!

You need the model 3 tube crossovers and the model 4 power supplies too! You know, get the whole package!!

But you probably already have them!!

http://classic-audio.com/marantz/0003.htmlhttp://null/pics/0003.jpg''>http://null/pics/0003.jpg' mce_href="http://null/pics/0003.jpg">

Thanks Allan I do have the 4's. These were rebuilt at AudioClassics at an additional healthy sum to the price of acquiring them. I do feel like these are the best sounding preamps I have ever heard. Exactly what that means I do not know for sure. I can't describe it so I've not said much about them. Instruments sound so close and so real it's a little scary. Maybe it's all in my head. I've had them about 6 months and haven't listened to them that much yet. Maybe someday, some forum folks can come listen to them with me and we can decide what it is about them that sounds so wonderful. What did people do with the Model 3 crossover? I've seen them but never investigated what exactly they were supposed to do.

You sold your 9's back in the mid 80's? Two grand was a ton of money back then. You did good. At least you can say you had a pair. Not sure when or if I'll ever be able to get a set of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200048339227&rd=1&rd=1

I, hope you get it I, just sold this one!! If the right person in HK is watching this one will probably bring more!! I, have a pair of MC30s' that I kept over the 8b. I preferred the 30's over the 8b in my system. I paid $1200 for the 8b

OB, I am a bit surprised that you are finding that spending a high $ amount on audio gear is done by very few of us. Believe me, there are more of us than you think. Not only is some of this equipment gaining "monetary value", but it all brings closer to us the musicians in out living rooms. When I am out at the pool, the music I am listening to, which is the same as the music I listen to with my "rig", is enjoyable, but at a different level of enjoyment. I do not "place" the localization of the drummer, guitarist, vocalist or whoever, on a stage, in front of me. I also do not listen for the rythm, beat or tempo of what they are playing(not really true). I am just less critical of my musical experience out there as I am with my rig. Every time I listem to my rig, I am amazed at what comes off the vinyl, or, those silvery things. The dvd has brought to us the same experiences for "visual excitation" as the audio part has. You say you do not enjoy driving, but you enjoy driving your Porsch. If you did not enjoy "driving", I do not believe you would aquired the Porsch. It is taking the driving experience to the next level. This is what we are all doing with our audio purchases, tweaks, etc. We enjoy listening, but we want "more" out of the recordings. I know many listeners, maybe like yourself, I do not know, who enjoy their music collection as much as I do, but have only a Bose "radio"(some have cheap boom boxes). They really enjoy the music. Out at the pool, I too, enjoy the music. But it is not the same. Although I enjoy driving, I do not own a Porsch(honestly, I would love to have one, but my income allows me only one "hobby", if you will). I am in no way attacking you. I love your posts and existence here at the forum, and would love to actually meet you and hang with you(at my house to sit and listen to some tunes). There is always a measure of performance and $s spent on this, or any other hobby. I wish you were more understanding. Maybe the "shock" of some of the pricing of this equipment was new to you. How about $3K for a laundry pair(well worth it, as well, in my opinion). We all want to enjoy. We go to great lenghts to achieve that enjoyment. Till next time.

I may have found the answer to my question.

Marantz Price New Price Used

9 Pair Power 1964-1968 828.00 6855.00/17107.00

1200B Integrated 1974-1976 700.00 305.00/312.00

Makes no sense! The 1200B cost in the ballpark of the 9's when it was in production; yet, the 1200B price goes down and the 9's go up - and crazy up! Looking back at cost, it seems someone needs to just buy the same components and make these. You get the same sound for gobs less. It is truly more about the art/look than the sound. That's why all the comments about "Just look at those. I bet they sound great!" One thing's for sure. They look great. And the scarcity of the case is what must be driving the price. You are buying a Picasso - even though many third-graders can paint better than him.

OB, I am a bit surprised that you are finding that spending a high $ amount on audio gear is done by very few of us. Believe me, there are more of us than you think. Not only is some of this equipment gaining "monetary value", but it all brings closer to us the musicians in out living rooms. When I am out at the pool, the music I am listening to, which is the same as the music I listen to with my "rig", is enjoyable, but at a different level of enjoyment. I do not "place" the localization of the drummer, guitarist, vocalist or whoever, on a stage, in front of me. I also do not listen for the rythm, beat or tempo of what they are playing(not really true). I am just less critical of my musical experience out there as I am with my rig. Every time I listem to my rig, I am amazed at what comes off the vinyl, or, those silvery things. The dvd has brought to us the same experiences for "visual excitation" as the audio part has. You say you do not enjoy driving, but you enjoy driving your Porsch. If you did not enjoy "driving", I do not believe you would aquired the Porsch. It is taking the driving experience to the next level. This is what we are all doing with our audio purchases, tweaks, etc. We enjoy listening, but we want "more" out of the recordings. I know many listeners, maybe like yourself, I do not know, who enjoy their music collection as much as I do, but have only a Bose "radio"(some have cheap boom boxes). They really enjoy the music. Out at the pool, I too, enjoy the music. But it is not the same. Although I enjoy driving, I do not own a Porsch(honestly, I would love to have one, but my income allows me only one "hobby", if you will). I am in no way attacking you. I love your posts and existence here at the forum, and would love to actually meet you and hang with you(at my house to sit and listen to some tunes). There is always a measure of performance and $s spent on this, or any other hobby. I wish you were more understanding. Maybe the "shock" of some of the pricing of this equipment was new to you. How about $3K for a laundry pair(well worth it, as well, in my opinion). We all want to enjoy. We go to great lenghts to achieve that enjoyment. Till next time.

Wow Dan, I have been watching this thread, and was going to remain silent,but you made that impossible. To compare my Porsche to Audio equipment, well, I have a hard time with that. I can do much more with a car than you can with Audio Equipment. The amps in question, can drive them to work to make a pay check, or if you need to go to a Doctor, can you hop on them to get you there, if the power goes out, what can you do with them? They are both almost the same as far as investments, they are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Any one who buys a car, or Audio equipment to make money is foolish, and most probably will not make money, some do, most don't. I do not like to drive, the older I get, the less I like to drive, but if I have to drive, which I do because I live out in the country, I have to travel to the store, or the Doctor, or go visit what few friends I have, I might as well drive my Porsche.........EH ? I really don't want to come off as a wise-***, nor do I want to argue, or offend anyone. In my opinion, $6000. for a power amp that needs a pre-amp too is alot of money to spend to listen to music. I think $6000. should and would buy one fine Stereo, not just one piece of the system. Am I not entitled to my opinion????? I don't think I am alone with that view, I'm just the first to express it.

Yes Sir, I would like to meet you, and spend an afternoon with you, hang out , listen to your fine stereo, bounce some chatter back at each other. It would not however change my view, but we would walk away with either a better understanding of each other, or you would throw me out. I tend to think it would be the better understanding of each other..............................but , you never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't want to come off as a wise-***, nor do I want to argue, or offend anyone. In my opinion, $6000. for a power amp that needs a pre-amp too is alot of money to spend to listen to music. I think $6000. should and would buy one fine Stereo, not just one piece of the system. Am I not entitled to my opinion????? I don't think I am alone with that view, I'm just the first to express it.

People aren't buying a pair of Marantz Model 2's just to listen to music. (ok, that's the second time I told you that!)

I really don't want to come off as a wise-***, nor do I want to argue, or offend anyone. In my opinion, $6000. for a power amp that needs a pre-amp too is alot of money to spend to listen to music. I think $6000. should and would buy one fine Stereo, not just one piece of the system. Am I not entitled to my opinion????? I don't think I am alone with that view, I'm just the first to express it.

People aren't buying a pair of Marantz Model 2's just to listen to music. (ok, that's the second time I told you that!)

Like I wrote to Dan, People who buy cars and audio equipment to make money are foolish, most don't, a very few do. Cars and equipment are only worth what the BUYER is willing to pay................... (ok, that's the second time I wrote that!) I can't believe that ANY piece of Audio Equipment is worth that money..............PERIOD.......unless you have so much money it doesn't matter to you. It is only a small percentage of people who would even consider buying that equipment........................You are in a MINORITY on this one...............Do you think anyone on this thread is going to buy that equipment? Are You ? You are entitled to your opinion................let me have mine.

I may have found the answer to my question.

Marantz Price New Price Used

9 Pair Power 1964-1968 828.00 6855.00/17107.00

1200B Integrated 1974-1976 700.00 305.00/312.00

Makes no sense! The 1200B cost in the ballpark of the 9's when it was in production; yet, the 1200B price goes down and the 9's go up - and crazy up! Looking back at cost, it seems someone needs to just buy the same components and make these. You get the same sound for gobs less. It is truly more about the art/look than the sound. That's why all the comments about "Just look at those. I bet they sound great!" One thing's for sure. They look great. And the scarcity of the case is what must be driving the price. You are buying a Picasso - even though many third-graders can paint better than him.

Your example compares apples and oranges - an average Marantz solid state integrated amplifier with one of the all-time classic Marantz tube amps. Different topology and there are plenty of people out there that would dispute your assertion "you get the same sound for gobs less." Sure, scarity plays a part in the overall market price for some of the vintage tube gear (and nostalgia), but as the owner of one of the vintage pieces, I can tell you that there are some differences in sound quality as well. Whether or not the sonic benefits are worth it may be disputed - when you inflate the current market price with scarcity and nostalgia, but many of these pieces are more than just a pretty face.

Maybe a better analogy may be a comparison within the same topology - e.g. the classic Marantz 9 Pair and the 8B, previously discussed in the thread. The 9 Pair is the more highly sought after of the two and may fetch two to three times as much, but beyond scarity, is it worth it to pay twice to three times as much for a somewhat similar application? I'm not sure.

Carl.

This is collector world. Don't even bother trying to relate it to audiophile hobbies. Sound quality is excellent with these pieces but it has little to do with the actual value of the gear. Most folks that collect this gear (Marantz 9's) might fire it up once a year on a variac just to keep the caps from going completely bad.

This is no different then collecting any vintage item. Cars, Radio's, Watches ...................

I know if money was no issue I would own a pair of 2's. 5's an 8B and a pair of 9's. Maybe I'll win the lotto someday.

I would also own a number of vintage autos also. Look at the worth of a Yenko Camaro from 68 or 69.. Cost original $3500 worth $350,000.00 now. A brand new 2000 SS Camaro would whip the pants off the car stock to stock in the 1/4 mile, on a road track, gas milleage, Air conditioning, stereo system you name it. Brand new a decked out 2000 Camaro costs $30k

Craig

This is collector world. Don't even bother trying to relate it to audiophile hobbies. Sound quality is excellent with these pieces but it has little to do with the actual value of the gear. Most folks that collect this gear (Marantz 9's) might fire it up once a year on a variac just to keep the caps from going completely bad.

This is no different then collecting any vintage item. Cars, Radio's, Watches ...................

I know if money was no issue I would own a pair of 2's. 5's an 8B and a pair of 9's. Maybe I'll win the lotto someday.

I would also own a number of vintage autos also. Look at the worth of a Yenko Camaro from 68 or 69.. Cost original $3500 worth $350,000.00 now. A brand new 2000 SS Camaro would whip the pants off the car stock to stock in the 1/4 mile, on a road track, gas milleage, Air conditioning, stereo system you name it. Brand new a decked out 2000 Camaro costs $30k

Craig

I was trying to think of a great car analogy, and that one fits the bill.

Carl.

Everytime I see a vintage Marantz amp I get sick to my stomach. 10 years ago when I was a bit of a wanderer, a guy gave me a Marantz amp he had garbage picked but I sold it because I did not have a pre-amp and my receiver was not able to do both. I think I sold it for $20.00. It worked fine, but I did not have a whole lot of audio knowledge at the time and figured a new pioneer receiver would work better anyhow. To this day I list that as one of the stupidest things I have ever done. Its so nice to have the internet more easily accesible to learn from.