CONVINCE ME ON KLIPSCH

russ69

"or see if I can source some different diaphragms for my Altecs."

Why diaphragms? You using Symbiotics? 808s?

Edgar saladbowls sound very nice though I went back to 511s from them. One never knows.

Yup, 808 8a's. I recall my 802's being much less harsh. Maybe the 808's are just older or brittle (???). Beats me, but they're listenable to a point, just ringy on most rock after a certain volume.

I found a pair of the older Edgar trachorns (pre-salad bowls) to try out. What drivers did you use? I would like to find D-54's, but they are spendy. If I can budget them, that's my first choice.

Thanks for the input, by the way!

CS----Yeah, I think 802s are a little smoother and they have more extended highs too.

And Shawn has reported and documented better performence just going from old to new diaphragms, in 288s as I recall.

GPA sells new 802 diaphragms for $90 each, I recently bought some and put them in some 808s and they sound nice. I was also gonna buy some 16 ohm GPA diaphragms for the 806s in my 1961 Heathkit AS-21s but I popped the whole $400 for new 902-16s instead. The 806 greenies make nice paperweights and coffee table pieces, really. ;-)

I used my saladbowls with various drivers---Altec 802s, 806s and 902s and JBL 2420s and 2426s. Very nice sounding horns. Maybe I should'a kept them. ;-)

post-6913-13819321395984_thumb.jpg

I am in Riverside, not too far from Palmdale eh? I am running a pair of CWII through a VTL Ultamate pre and a Sonic Frontiers power 1 tube amps. I would be happy to have you over to take a listen. The room is small and has not been tweaked in any way but I do like what I listen to. I can't talk "audio snob" but I am very fluent in good sound. There are several other Klipsch owners here in So Cal.

I'd take Cal up on his offer to go listen to his CWII(s), I think once you hear them, you'll be convinced. From what I've seen on EPAY you are in a good spot to pick up some decent used speakers. Don't let us tell you what to get, let your ears.

mdeneen,

I've heard systems that were VERY "accurate/critical". So much so that every flaw in the recording is laid bare and easily heard. Maybe analytical is a better word but that means sterile or dry to me. Critical for me means the sheets of music are shuffling, toe tapping is booming, sound suppression is pumping on and off, you can hear the tape splices and things like that on almost every record. So bad that only a very few of the very best recordings are listenable. I'm not trying to get into the discussion of musical vs. accurate but I was trying to explain the kind of sound I find pleasing for those that know what I'm talking about. Can you make an accurate-musical system? I think that's what we are all trying to do. Maybe someday we'll get there but we have a long way to go yet.

Thanx, Russ

However, if a system wasn't musical sounding, why would anyone listen to it?

In my case, I would listen to it because on certain styles it sounds fantastic, and on others... not so much. See my examples above. My setup now is perfect for folk, jazz, classical, and the like, but throw rock (or trumpet-heavy overtures, etc...) in the mix and the horns can make me cringe if cranked up.

That's always been my quest -- the system that sounds great no matter what's playing. Of course, bad recordings are bad recordings, but the Pretenders' "Pirate Radio" box set sounds great on headphones and even on the Polks in the TV room. On the horns, yowza, RINGY when it's cranked up! I have tried just about every kind of speaker out there (within reason): horns of all types and vintages, planars, transmission lines, full range, monitors, etc... Each has strong points and each weaknesses, so the best I can hope to do is find the best compromise. Trouble is, when I listen to Dead Can Dance on the current setup, I can't help but wish for the same spine-tingling sensation I got with my Magnepans. But if I had Magnepans I'd wish for the same "upright-bass-in-the-gut" punch the Klipsch have when I tossed a jazz LP on.

What a quandry!

OIC, critical meant accurate, or perhaps too accurate. Thanks for the clarification. I think Heritage can sound either way based on setup and gear. Took me awhile, but I think my Belles now sound very musical - (even when I hear the baton taps or music sheets shuffling in the background.) :-) Fun speakers that allow for a lot of easy experimentation. Give them a whirl.

Is there a thread to detail the mods you made to your Belles? Or did they just grow on you? I'd be curious... always looking for new things to try! Thanks!!!

Kev313,

Yes, I've been moving away from the more sterile equipment and leaning towards a more musical sound. The Cary headed me in that direction. That being said, it's a good match with the Triangles because they can be a little lean at times and helped balance the system. But I'm ready for a bigger sweeter sound. Sweet lush tube sound.............. Thanx, your input was excellent.

Thanx,Russ

Oooohooo, youre im Palmdale. Nice place, I've got a couple of buildings there. You're also relatively close to Wayne, give him look up, and I'm sure he'll let you listen to his Heritage.

Guys,

I would like to know if I'll be satisfied with a pair or Cornwalls or LaScala II's?

Thanx,

Russ

i don't think you will be satisfied with a PAIR of cornwalls. once you get a pair you will want to get another pair, and then another pair, and another pair, and so on like i did and quite a few forum members have done the same.

Lately I've been more and more interested in less critical systems that are able to play all my music well rather than have a system that just plays a few recordings extremely well. I'd love your input. Maybe someone that had critical systems and has switched to the more musical side of things.

We have both here. If I were on a desert island forced to choose between LaScala & Cornwall as my one and only speaker - I'd choose Cornwall.

Lately I've been more and more interested in less critical systems that are able to play all my music well rather than have a system that just plays a few recordings extremely well. I'd love your input. Maybe someone that had critical systems and has switched to the more musical side of things.

We have both here. If I were on a desert island forced to choose between LaScala & Cornwall as my one and only speaker - I'd choose Cornwall.

Well give me a sub and I would choose a LaScala, but on a deserted Island I would make it into a boat, as with out electricity what would it do.

Nice JB[:o]

Welcome aboard Russ, with 35 years of listening under your belt and asking the proverbial SET question I would have to say SET is not what would be my first choice for all around or full range but I would say the LaScalla's would be a better choice if you do decide to go SET!

Do take up the offers in your area to listen and if they will allow it bring that Cary along[;)]

Best of luck to you on your mission Russ, this tape will self destruct in 30 seconds[:|]

Cornwalls by themselves...La Scalas with a sub...your choice. Either would do nicely IMHO.

And I dove into SET head first with no prior listening experience; don't regret it one bit! 300B output tubes drive RB-75s sweetly as well as my old Cornwalls. Sometimes you just gotta take a chance and run with it. Worked for me.[Y]

I have both (CW II's and La Scala's) and I prefer the horn loaded bass of the La Scala's. Those that claim you need a sub with the La Scala's are not running them with the proper amplification. Yes, you lose the bottom octave with them, but you won't miss anything unless you are listening to pipe organs and rap/hip hop imho. YMMV...

Mike

I have owned Cornwalls and now have LSs, and agree with Mike L. There is a naturalness to the bass, that I feel the Cornwalls cannot touch. I am in no way saying the CWs are not livable. I am also not talking about the low end extension of the bass. The mid horns of the LSs are also a better "synergy" with the bass horns than that of the CWs. ( please CW owners, this is just my opinion). CWs are great. Rooms, equipment, listening distance between listener/speakers, etc. can also make one or the other more "enjoyable". I found it very difficult to mate subs with the LSs(just me). The CWs do go a bit "lower". It is, of course, based on listening, what one is looking for, and all else. Going from an "Audiophile" type speaker to a horn is a big transition to most listeneners. Something called dynamic compression(again IMO) is a quality that differs between most other brands and the Klipsch Heritage. Just need to listen and judge for yourself.