The Tennis Thread!

boomac

I saw the Rocket play. I even met him once and what a great guy. The Swede has always been my favorite and Ive never forgiven the USTA for changing the US Open to hard courts because of him. He could have won several Grand Slams if not for that. Ive been a student, player and coach for years and I have always hesitated to call any one guy the greatest player of all time. I am now ready to say Roger Federer is Number One. If there are any tennis fans reading this and you didnt see the live Roddick match; make darn sure you dont miss the replay. Its not over yet and Roddick always has a chance but no matter what happens from here, Roger is now the greatest in my book.

Of course..................What if the Rocket and Swede had use of the new racquet technology?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete Sampras, the was so talented, he made it look easy, would get my vote. The hardest working player would be Lendl, not nearly as much talent as the other greats he played with, but he trained like a mad man and was number one for so long. I would agree the game's equipment has changed so much, its a whole new game and not necessarily for the better. I like to hit with a wood racket once and a while.

There were so many great ones that were enjoyable and exciting to watch.

It seems like whoever the next running champ is.....they are a notch above their predecessor. I agree about Roger Federer. That is one fine tuned champ....and he is definitely performing above and beyond what greats like Pete Sampras were able to do.

I also agree the equipment, training, and diets have improved among other things and give the newer players a bigger advantage.

Oldbuckster asked: Does anyone remember, Rod Laver?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Boomac opened the thread with: I saw the Rocket play. I even met him once and what a great guy.

All the players mentioned here were great. That would include Bobby Riggs; although I never saw him play in his prime. BTW, there is no doubt in my mind that he tanked the BJK match.

Watch the replay of last nights Federer / Roddick match and especially the first few games of the second set. UFB

Whoever inferred that Federer and Woods are two of a kind is right on. There is just something special about what they are able to do.

The women? I watch them. The best ever? Martina but I still love Chris!

The "Rocket" has always been my favorite male player and Martina Nav is/was my favorite female and she and I were born on the same day same year[;)]

I could make a nice list of also rans too[:o]

Roger is dominant but he has a few years to go to have the length of time in the sport as Rod! And as they only time will tell[:)]

Just imagine how the Sam's, Ben's, Bobby's of the Golf world might have been with the weapons of today[:|]

Maybe someone will also recognize this name as I'm on my 11 gut sting on this baby right here and even though it's far outdated and over powered with todays technology I just can't bring myself to play with anything else[:D]

image.aspx?name=25695_1.jpg

I was joking about Bobby Riggs................also, I don't remember Rod Laver as the Rocket.......and to be totally honest, I love to watch the Williams sisters play........powerful,strong, well built women.......................EH..........take nothing away from Billie Jean King a great star.........Many say Roger is the best ever, I can not argue that point..............and I won't.....................

Riggs was no joking matter. The guy was a great player and his ability and style did a lot to bring attention to professional tennis. Mr. SET Say if you ever need another racquet like that let me know. I collect and probably have several. Id love to see the kids today flail away at the ball with a racquet like that. Even I gave up wood by the early 80s. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

How about one like this?

post-11564-13819321629896_thumb.jpg

The racquet pictured above is pre 1900. The strings have been replaced but the frame is still solid as a rock.

Did anybody see the Federer / Roddick match yet?

In the mean time here's a few oldies I picked up over the years.

post-11564-13819321630716_thumb.jpg

No doubt Federer is the best of all time. It's not just about how he easily beats everyone; it's about how effortlessly he moves on the court. His efficiency of motion. His perfect backhand and forehand. His ability to volley. He is just simply the most complete player ever. I used to think it was Sampras, but Federer is at an entirely different level. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

When Michael Jordan was still playing basketball, I took every opportunity to watch him play because it was the chance to see greatness in action. Tiger Woods is the same and so is Roger Federer. We're fortunate in our lifetime to be able to witness such outstanding athletes.

No doubt Federer is the best of all time. It's not just about how he easily beats everyone; it's about how effortlessly he moves on the court. His efficiency of motion. His perfect backhand and forehand. His ability to volley. He is just simply the most complete player ever. I used to think it was Sampras, but Federer is at an entirely different level.

I could not agree more. Federer has been to 11 consecutive semis and is in his 7th straight final in Grand Slams. That is just unreal in an era of competetive tennis.

He just finished an absolute thumping of Roddick that was clearly the best tennis I have ever seen played. Barring burnout, he is likely to win 20 majors.

I never saw Laver play, but Federer is clearly the best I have ever seen since watching tennis. I started watching when McEnroe retired Borg.