Thanks again - Maron, Rob, Sheltie Dave, and Fish

cjgeraci

As everyone knows, this is a community in here, and it is with the graciousness and help of others that we prosper in the quest for musical nirvana.

I just wanted to again thanks a number of people for helping me get my system where it needs to be. Especially since things have been reassembled, calibrated, listened to, etc. - and we have very, very nice synergy again!! Thanks to Maron for offering me his extra set of Klipschorn bass bins that have a nice historical past. Also, thanks to Rob who sold me his excess Khorn tophat parts to that I could assemble my modded Klipschorn. Of course, thanks to Sheltie Dave who remains one of my greatest friends (and my partner in crime - audiowise). And finally, thanks to Fish - who early on imparted some words of wisdom about sounds and audio - and pointed me dow the right path). For those who do not know, I run a fairly complicated system that includes 7.1 as well as two-channel front and rear.

Anyway, enough babbling.......on to the revised pics.

Carl.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great looking system Carl....I don't even need to ask how it sounds though I would love to hear trachorns one day. As far as community goes.... you have helped as many forum members as anyone I know and have responded to a lot of my questions with clear, well thought out replies. Thank you for that.

Chuck

Nice pics Carl,I'd love to hear that set up someday.Thanks also for the honorable mention,if I said even one word that contributed to a system like that I'd be proud.As was mention above,you've helped many members and visitors with very thoughtful,well written replies.You're a valuable member and a heck of nice guy to boot,long may you run.

Carl, what are those large panels on top of the Klipschorns (looks like another one off the right next the left Klipschorn). I'm not going to accept 'large panels' as the answer.:)

I experimented with sitting 2'X4' 4" acoustic panel (no backing) on top of my K-horns, long way up. I could not measure nor hear any difference. My ceiling is 18' high. Curious about your experience.

Carl, what are those large panels on top of the Klipschorns (looks like another one off the right next the left Klipschorn). I'm not going to accept 'large panels' as the answer.:)

I also express my thanks to you, Dean - for making so much of this journey fun and for providing your expertise along the way. For gosh sakes, I would not have necessarily tried Trachorns or QSC PLX amps without your input as well as the fact that Dean built over eight crossovers for me at various times. He is truly an asset to this forum and a heck of a guy. Thanks also goes to Al Klappenberger who makes fine products and who has provided great assistance during the journey.

Dean, they are Real Traps - the bass traps versions that help disperse bass and mid waves (and keep them out of corners) throughout the room. Our own Colin favorably reviewed a set.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0204/realtraps.htm

Eventually, I will get around to hanging the traps higher above the Klipschorns.

Carl.

Carl, I need to hear the full Monty when we have time...in, say, maybe five months. Right now I am running out to pick up the final parts for Liam's swing, and then off to Chitown.

Your golden child is packed in the back, wrapped in a parka. Hope you are having fun at the Barkus, and peace...

I experimented with sitting 2'X4' 4" acoustic panel (no backing) on top of my K-horns, long way up. I could not measure nor hear any difference. My ceiling is 18' high. Curious about your experience.

Ron, I have noticed a difference with placing RealTraps in the corners - and above the subwoofer. The bass response is more even and not quite as bloated in the room. I have found that a RealTrap bass panel above a subwoofer also really helps tighten up the response.

RealTraps bass panels are mainly only in the corners and above the sub. The remainder of the panels in the room are fiberglass panels used to either absorb or spread out the higher frequency waves.

Carl.

Jeepers, 'fairly complicated', yeah I'll say- That's two racks full of some very impressive electronics, to say nothing of the Massive Klipsch collection. Exactly how big is that room, and can you provide pix of the seating area?

Michael

The basement in its entirety is 24 feet by 24 feet. The Klipschorns are about 24 feet apart, and the listening position is 11 feet back from the front wall. The rear Belles are about a 45 degree angle behind the seating area, and the Fortes are to the side. Not as perfect as I would like, but we also have a HVAC in the center of the basement, and the five year old also gets part of the basement as well. It will do until our next house.

Carl.