Battle of the TV's

fathered5

I've been reading more and more about tv's and all the new tvs coming out. I'm not impressed with the technical specs that I am reading. You may get a 65" plasma tv with 1080p for nearly $10,000 but with contrast ratio of 3000:1. Or you can get a 63" plasma tv with 720p and a10000:1 contrast ratio for only $5000. Am I losing it or am I wrong on this. Pricing aside on this. But it seems to me Your going to get better picture with the 720p. The line resolution is not there but the human won't be able to detect the differance. And the colors are going to be promonant with the 720p.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this I'm trying to make the final decisions on the components for my theater room and I don't want to waste money.

I did decide on speakers rf-52, rc-52, rs-42, rb-51, and 2-rw-10d backed by a yamaha rx-v2700.

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma that I bought within the past year. I absolutely love it and the colors on plasma screens are far more rich than those on LCD panels. With regard to the contrast ratio I wouldn't pay much attention. It is akin to amplifiers that are rated at 1,000 watts but are actually more like 100 watts RMS. Truth of the matter is, the contrast ratio that is actually achieved is hardly ever more than 2000:1.

I haven't seen a 1080p screen next to a 720p (or 1080i) whereby I can truly see the difference, but I do think there is actually something to this and it should not be discounted. In sum, I'd be much more focused on the native resolution of the screen than the contrast ratio.

• Like 1

I could be wrong about this but someone I trust told me that 720p native was truly 720 whereas 1080 was 540 doubled...I really enjoy my 720p Sony rear projection TV...good luck with the search...it is mind blowing

Bill

There is truth to this. Most 1080p TVs do take the cheap route and double a 540 signal but good ones do not(p. 39 of Home Theater Magazine, November Issue). I also second the point about ignoring the contrast ratio, it isn't measured as a standard. The 1080p TV is going to look the same as a 720 if fed 720 but as soon as you hook them both up to 1080i/p then that 1080p will pull ahead because the 720 will still only be showing that much info but the 1080p will be showing much more. 
This is only a real issue on bigger TV's, though (Again, check out HT magazine). As far as buying a 60", I would go rear projection because you can get a really big TV for alot less and if you really want a flat panel go Plasma and 720p. If you get a good 720p TV, like a pioneer, you will be set. 1080p is cool and all, but it isn't the end all do all. The 720 sets still look great, just make sure to buy a good TV, check out deinterlacing and bandwidth tests. What is the point of paying extra for a 1080p set that doesn't even convert 1080i signals to 1080p correctly or doesn't get all the info to the screen.

If you're going for a 60" plasma go for the Pioneer. That display is really fantastic in terms of image reproduction. Truthfully, I prefer that display to either the JVC HD-ILA and the Sony SXRD (which I think look the best as far as RPTVs go). I'd say if you're looking for the best of the best, the 1080 Pioneer plasma is fantastic... Just make sure you get a 1080p source to go with it (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray). Now, the other option is to hang tight for about two more months because Pioneer is about to release what they have dubbed as plasma 2.0. Basically it has contrast ratios of over 1,000,000:1 (yes, that is not a typo) and has received fantastic industry buzz from the people who saw the current Pioneer plasma side by side with the new Pioneer plasma 2.0. Just some food for thought.

Very complicated,not really.I had most all technology in my house for a week or two to audition.You just set your budget and buy a tv you like that fits it.Plasma is great but glare and heat ain't,rp lcd look good,cheap and little glare but bulbs(not an issue for me)dlp look fine,spinning wheels inside?bulbs?have they solved the rainbow effect? Flat panel lcd,I like but waiting on price to continue dropping.There still is no perfect display,there is very good for pretty cheap and better for more.I bought a new 55 inch Sony lcd for $1285.00 for my 2nd room,that put an end to my hunt since I use it about once or twice per week when friends come over with beer.

Also, I have no idea if this is still running but I read that if you bought a 50" pioneer 1080p plasma from Magnolia you got a free Pioneer 50" 720p plasma. Not sure if it is still going on though.

Here is a link for this offer.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_3450_396920404,00.html

I just wish the Sony SXRD tv would be on sale when I am in Virginia. I got home on Saturday night and went to best buy on sunday to get the TV and the sale ended Saturday. AAUURRGGHH

Steve

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma that I bought within the past year. I absolutely love it and the colors on plasma screens are far more rich than those on LCD panels. With regard to the contrast ratio I wouldn't pay much attention. It is akin to amplifiers that are rated at 1,000 watts but are actually more like 100 watts RMS. Truth of the matter is, the contrast ratio that is actually achieved is hardly ever more than 2000:1.

I haven't seen a 1080p screen next to a 720p (or 1080i) whereby I can truly see the difference, but I do think there is actually something to this and it should not be discounted. In sum, I'd be much more focused on the native resolution of the screen than the contrast ratio.

I second the love for the 50" Panny!

Fish is right, set yourself a budget, and find what best suits your needs..............I bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV......not the best, but works great for me......that was a year and a half ago, and the price of those have dropped alot.........See them around here for $1,300 now..well worth that...doesn't matter what you buy, 6 months from now it's obsolete anyway...............

Well, I was faced with budget and WAF. I won WAF first by taking the wife to show her this

http://www.bassettfurniture.com/ProductShowroom/Items/ENTERTAINMENTCENTERS/tabid/321/ctl/EditItemSelection/mid/657/Productid/2885/iCollectionID/41/ProducttypeID/22/Mode/Product/Default.aspx

and guess what, The Samsung 56 inch inch DLP 1080 (purchsed through Amazon for 1700 , no tax and no shipping charge) fits perfect. I wanted the 60 inch but it was one half inch too big. Picture and entire setup look great. I have Cornwalls to the side with an Academy on top (placed on a dish drainer board for a downward angle).

i think the sheer resolution aspect to buying a tv should be the least of your concerns. the primary things that should matter are budget, viewing distance, and picture quality. Resolution doesnt really fit into this equation, not in realistic terms anyway. We recently upgraded our family room plasma from a 42" ED (480p) to a 1080p 65". Now, watching from 20 feet away, does the added resolution help? not really. I can only see the screen door from like 3 inches from the screen, if that. But when we got it, there wasnt a price difference between the 1080p and the 720p models. Anyway, do I regret getting the 1080p model? not at all. We got it in our family room because the room was simply overpowering the 42" and the 65" fits quite nicely in such a large space. I also get excited sometimes when I watch some sports (like the NFL playoffs) and I find myself unable to sit in the couch, and constantly hovering around the screen from a few feet away. In this case, not being distracted by the screendoor effect sure does help. If you can chart out exactly what you watch on tv, and how you watch it, and your distance, then i think you'd have a good place to start with that.

I went to the store several times to look at various sizes with a measuring tape of sorts to try and imagine exactly how a display of x size would look in our room. I never really looked at resolution. I really dont think that should be a major concern for you. If you have a bit of patience though, I do think that prices of 1080p displays should be dropping precipitously as the year progresses.

Your comparing resolution and contrast. On an old TV it would be the difference between the Sharpness and the Contrast. They are both important. Most of the TV's that brag of super high contrast ratios are just able to artificially darken the blacks. This technically increases the contrast between the blacks, whites and other colors as a ratio. It does not look 2 to 3x better because of it though. The Panasonic 42 inch plasma is what i own. I love it and I have compared it to many others.