Crites tweeters?

gonzp

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me right there were mixed reactions after we put CT125's in Meloves K-Horns in Hope but after about 30 minutes I could I could hear a crisper top end or not quite as warm as the 77's that came out! A couple fella's spoke up that they thought the 77's sounded more natural but I did not hear that[*-)]

Larry C. heard them both ways in that big old room maybe he can comment to what he thought[^o)] Mark, it seems like you sold all your CT125's for the opposite reason of most! I know I picked up a pair from Daddy Dee[;)]

Coytee! Oh wouldn't that be deliciously interesting!!??!! I'd love to take you up on that but off the top of my head, aren't sure if they'd work with what I have here as far as x-overs stock squawks and such? But I'd Love to take you up on your generous offer of a listen. Are they for sale as well in case they make me keel over with goodness? Too fun!

I don't know what you're networks are and how they'd work although I'd guess they'd work fine?

As for the stock squawker, I had stock in MINE and it sounded fine. I've (passively) thought about selling them. At least one person (speakerfritz) has expressed a passing interest. Don't know if he still has it. I ALSO have brand new (in the box) 8 ohm diaphrams to go with them. These are genuine JBL and not 'aftermarket' versions

The new diaphragms alone cost something like $180. I wanted to be sure to have 8 ohm, JBL brand avaialbe to me so I ordered them.

You can email me, pm me, or call me at 888-531-0715. If I'm here at work, I'll answer if not, it'll ring off hook lol.

:)

Larry C. heard them both ways in that big old room maybe he can comment to what he thought[^o)] Mark, it seems like you sold all your CT125's for the opposite reason of most! I know I picked up a pair from Daddy Dee[;)]

Tim, I don't remember carefully comparing them in Paul's K-horns, so can't comment other than I think they did improve over the next hour or so (no surprise to this believer in break-in).

I switched back for one of Mark's reasons, that they didn't "match the Heritage sound" -- the character of their sound differed from that of my mid and bass horns, although they were plainly clearer. That may be one reason they were always jumping out at me.

I would think you would need some type of cab mod for those baby cheeks! The EV's look to have the same screw pattern/locations[:|]

I have heard that several times now Larry so I feel very safe that CT's do change the sound characteristics of the original K-77 cofig. I may come to the same determination after I try some SET's on my Indy's[;)] I think Bob's tweets are fine just not going to be everyones cup of tea our here[:D]

Lisa,

In my opinion, they will not need those replacement diaphragms put into them. I bought them 'working' but he didn't know if they had 8 or 16 ohm diaphragms in them. I also knew since I was buying them sight/sound unseen, I only has his word that they were working fine (they were). I bought the 8 ohm versions 'just in case' even though by ear, they worked and sounded PERFECTLY fine in my system.

I recall reading somewhere that they've discontinued the 2404 and my peabrain said if they've stopped making the drivers, then after a while, they'll stop making factory diaphragms. I remember reading that the JBL brand (supposedly) sound better so I just figured I'd get them and put them in. I never got that far.

Also, if in fact I've got after markets in there, I can't imagine the factory brand sounding TOO much better as these tweets sounded pretty nice as it was. They have clearly been replaced at least once though. The rear cover is gone.

I had Al's extreme slope crossovers and I have zero idea where I had these set. Memory tells me I had them on the same setting that I used for the Klipsch tweeter because I had a spade connector there and I'd simply swap back/forth every now & then to get a side by side comparison.

For ME (and I'm no where near as critical listener as you might be) the JBL's won hands down.

The only reason I mention I've got the replacements is *in case* I were to part with them and someone were to find an interest in them, they might want the replacements too (for possible future use). I had no idea the replacement diaphragms were as expensive as they turned out to be.

I bought Allan Songer's CT125s and compared them to K-77s and K-77Ms in the pair of Heresy speakers recently purchased by Michael Colter. I found the differences between the three to be subtle, but my high frequency hearing loss is substantial.[1] <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Nevertheless, I kept the CT125s and sold the K-77s and K-77Ms to Bob Crites. Now Michael Colter can offer his opinion as he will undoubtedly swap them into and out of his flock.

[1] Two years (mid 70s) of 4 Speakerlab Skhorns driven by 600 watts of SS power in a DJ business will do that.

I like very much the CT-125 in my LaScala's. I could not get the CT-125's to mount inside of my K-Horn's though I did set them up on top of the k-horns, and listenes to them that way. They were mounted higher than the stock location of the tweets so I had to adjust my listening position. I put the round magnet K-77's back in. I think that I am going to go back and start playing with my ALK Jr. settings. Only problem, this takes weeks to get a good impression of each setting.

Gonzp - What is the reason you couldn't get them into the khorns? Did you take the top plate off? I believe that's only 6 easy to reach screws. All my top plates are merely resting on the khorns so I can just grab a lid, place it to the side, and swap anything I want without even pulling the speaks out. Or do you have some oddball type of wood configuration in there?

Rather fantastic. I startet a conversation with Bob 02 14 ; 02:15, PM with a simular direction.

How to improve the treble in my Khorns ?? Iv'e now tryed to replace the original fitted tweeters in my Khorns 1994 with JBL 2204 / O75. Works well but need to be att. some db:s.

I will follow this conversation from Sweden ,Therefore excuse the spelling and so on.....

CRW_0142.jpg

Lech

Gonzp - What is the reason you couldn't get them into the khorns? Did you take the top plate off? I believe that's only 6 easy to reach screws. All my top plates are merely resting on the khorns so I can just grab a lid, place it to the side, and swap anything I want without even pulling the speaks out. Or do you have some oddball type of wood configuration in there?

Lisa,

I just went in from the back. The magnet on the CT-125 was too thick to fit between the squaker and the verticle piece of wood trim.