I had my hearing tested today...

RFP

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think hearing loss is fully understood. My hearing isn't the best - I've had over 20 years of living and working in environments where firearms have been discharged on a regular basis (no... the cops haven't caught me yet! LOL!). Yet I can still hear the differences in how cymbal is struck etc...

My uncles hearing (78 years old) has deteriorated now for years because of some nerve damage starting with the Korean War and he also played bass in a band. His bandwidth as measured with my system cranked to 85 db spl is 600hz to 800 hz and if you try to force anything else with volume it creates pain. This is with a cochlear implant on one ear from the Cleveland Clinic at a cost of $100,000.00 plus. He said the implant was a total bust. All it did was create noise. Now I can't imagine trying to hear anything with this restrictive a bandwidth. The cochlear implant is a probe inserted into a hole drilled in the head near the nerve pack and they hope that the nerves will heal and make contact with the probe. There is a half dollar sized piece of metal permantly mounted on his head to make connections and a kind of amplifier package that he puts in his pocket. His sister had the same operation and it did help her a lot. He constantly tells me they (the people who tweek the amplifier at the Clinic) never listen to what he tells them to do that they know better. So it is a good idea to protect your hearing or else you might just wind up like my uncle.

JJK

• Moderators

This is a great site and will give you some idea what areas you may have loss in: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

As the site suggests, use the best ear phones that you have, in as quiet a room as possible. It is NOT a substitute for getting a professional hearing test from a qualified professional

Travis

Not that anyone cares, or that this is related in any way but I had my vision checked yesterday.

I need to renew my driver's license and while I was taking my wife to her opthomologist (sp?) appointment, he kindly gave me a vision test so I could avoid the DMV lines.

I know my eyesight isn't as good as it was 5 years ago but I still wear no glasses or contacts. Strange because both my parents and all my siblings have been wearing glasses since childhood.

My right eye is 20/20, left eye 20/15, both eyes 20/15. Not bad for someone who has been starring at a computer screen for 25+ years. It must have been 20/10 years ago. I was shocked to say the least!

Unfortunately, my wife's test didn't go so well. With glasses her left eye was 20/60, right eye, 20/400. MS hasn't been kind to her eyesight. I wish I could pass some of my good vision to her.[8-|]

Not that anyone cares, or that this is related in any way but I had my vision checked yesterday.

I need to renew my driver's license and while I was taking my wife to her opthomologist (sp?) appointment, he kindly gave me a vision test so I could avoid the DMV lines.

I know my eyesight isn't as good as it was 5 years ago but I still wear no glasses or contacts. Strange because both my parents and all my siblings have been wearing glasses since childhood.

My right eye is 20/20, left eye 20/15, both eyes 20/15. Not bad for someone who has been starring at a computer screen for 25+ years. It must have been 20/10 years ago. I was shocked to say the least!

Unfortunately, my wife's test didn't go so well. With glasses her left eye was 20/60, right eye, 20/400. MS hasn't been kind to her eyesight. I wish I could pass some of my good vision to her.[8-|]

Now how are your eyes for reading! I can read a street sign from a mile away but a newspaper two feet is not possible! I am completely lost without reading glasses. Have to say its not a good look.

Josh

• Moderators

Ok,

Here is the list, if you are over 40, but now is not too soon.

1. Get your hearing checked, even if you are young, so you have a base line.

2. Get PSA level checked, again for a base line, AND there is no substitute for the annual digial exam and a colonoscopy doesn't hurt (well a little) either

3. Cholestoral check annualy, remember the ratio is as important, if not more so, then the numbers

4. Eyes checked

5. Quit or don't smoke (do as I say, not as I do)

6. Get stress test EKG, again for a base line

7. They have heart ultrasounds offered here that are truely remarkable, had to pay cash but it was worth it, lot of heart disease in my family, and I smoke

8. Drink at least one cocktail or glass of fine a night (at least the wine part is documented to be of benefit, and there has to be some light at the end of the tunnel)

9. Take one asprin per day

10. Something about exercise should go here but I am too worn out to keep going.

Travis

Not that anyone cares but I tested a couple tubes yesterday..........

My reading vision still seems good although I have no idea what is considered "good." Words come into focus about 8 inches from my face.

Thanks for the smarta$$ comments guys. I guess I walked right into it. Didn't see it coming ;)

I still think a hearing response avatar or maybe even a computerized function of an amplifier to install a customized response curve for your measured hearing loss would be real neat.

JJK

Yes.....anytime you posted any sound impressions it included your hearing test curve. That would help all of us. [:D]

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect that back when great numbers of men (and much more rarely, women) worked (at the job or at home) with noisy tools and in noisy environments without ear protectors, and smoked like chimneys, their hearing fell off much more rapidly relative to that of women. Harry F. Olsen's book was published in 1972, only a blink of an eye after ear protectors became commonplace on job sites and in home workshops, probably too soon for the benefit to show up in the charts (which are probably considerably older than the book).

Now that ear protection is common, and the frequency of smoking is more nearly equal across the genders, I would expect hearing loss to be less related to gender. I doubt that biology explains all of the variance.

Of course, our infamous Testosterone Toughness might make our hearing apparatus more inflexible and crusty -- like the rest of our bodies.

Does anyone have more recent charts?

People exposed to high levels of organic solvents also have a much higher level of hearing loss.... why that is so far not fully inderstood. I wear hearing protection doing a lot of things, especially welding, grinding and hammering. My brothers are always teasing me..... but I tell them I don't want to end up half deaf like them and they shut up pretty fast. Listening to unmuffled 2 stroke diesels did most of them in, and also firearms and every other injurious thing known to man.

Surprised no one has piped up that they have had their sperm count tested.....[:|]

People exposed to high levels of organic solvents also have a much higher level of hearing loss.... why that is so far not fully inderstood. I wear hearing protection doing a lot of things, especially welding, grinding and hammering. My brothers are always teasing me..... but I tell them I don't want to end up half deaf like them and they shut up pretty fast. Listening to unmuffled 2 stroke diesels did most of them in, and also firearms and every other injurious thing known to man.

Surprised no one has piped up that they have had their sperm count tested.....[:|]

You just did.

You just did again.