Thorens TT

jcmusic

Not a thing Jay....my second table is a Thorens TD-165. Is there something specific you need to know? Man...my question was answered promptly on my tt post and I sure feel better. Maybe Max will respond...he is something of an encyclopedia on tts and a very good resource.

Chuck

How do I put this? Not!

Please dispose of this item carefully. The best way to ensure someone gets many thousands of happy hours of listening to music through your sacrifice is to run over this TT with a large SUV whilst uttering the words "be gone fowl odour that doeth destroy the music".

How they ever dared to sell this POS (and the 170 and the 190) with a Thorens badge on it is a total mystery to me.

Due apologies to anyone who will now write a reply extoling this things virtures and telling my they have had thousands of hours of happy listening to this bargain table....blah .....blah.....blah......buy a CD player (and you may never again see that advice from me).

td180.jpg

You have me on the floor Max, I thought this was one of those models however as you said someone may just love it[:o]

I have always felt they had to have a fast food audio chain special in their lineup and you are correct the 170, 180 and 190 models seem to fit that bill[;)]

I really liked the SUV backing over it[:P]

Max, as you know from this thread I am no fan of idler TT's. OTOH, there is NO way I'd believe this or any other idler TT of reasonable engineering and in good condition is inferior to a CD.

Perhaps this one was an exception? Not having heard one, no way for me to comment...but I have heard many fine idler driven TT's, though the best were very expensive broadcast machines from the old days. The Technics 1200 series effectively ended that race with a cheap direct drive that would come to speed in a 1/3 rev or less, which was what the big old jobs were all about.

Dave

Max I am LaughingMy #$% Off, dude your are funny SOB. BTW thats what two other friends of mine said about it almost quoteing what you said. Anyway I am happy to find out exactly what it is, it just happened to come with some other audio stuff I got today at an estate sale. How bad can it be. Thanks for you imput, now if I can just figure out a way to get rid of it. LOL.

Jay

Max, as you know from this thread I am no fan of idler TT's. OTOH, there is NO way I'd believe this or any other idler TT of reasonable engineering and in good condition is inferior to a CD.

Perhaps this one was an exception? Not having heard one, no way for me to comment...but I have heard many fine idler driven TT's, though the best were very expensive broadcast machines from the old days. The Technics 1200 series effectively ended that race with a cheap direct drive that would come to speed in a 1/3 rev or less, which was what the big old jobs were all about.

Dave

Idler TT? This is a really REALLY cheap belt drive TT. Not bad for $50 if you want to hook up a little rig, but Max is right, it's crap.

Chuck i picked one of these up today at an estate sale with some other audio stuff, didn't know if it's a keeper or not.

Jay

What, you gonna take it back to the estate sale? What did you pay, Jay?

Max, you nut!

Dave

Dave,

This is exactly why I responded as I did. THIS IS NOT AN IDLER TT. It has NOTHING to do with the legendary Thorens tables - NOTHING!!!

You see Thorens TD1XX and you think idler wheel, quality of build, legendary tables.

I have nothing against cheap belt drive tables persay - I had one for years - but this table is not only a particularly poor example (you have to see the insides) it is also something designed by marketing entirely to fool people. How the Thorens reputation survived this seriously nasty, underhanded, mutton dressed as lamb abomination is beyond me.

What is worse - it continues to this day, fooling buyers all over the world again and again.

However - Rick is right - it is not worth risking an SUV tire over - which is probably why most SUV's come with a decent tire iron. That is perfect for the job.

Allan thanks for you imput.

Fini no I am not going to take it back, I paid $50.00 for it and a complete Yamaha suround sound system. All of it like brand new. I almost forgot like it really matters, it came with Staton cart. I think the one they sold it with. V500 MK III or something like that.

Jay

How do I put this? Not!

Please dispose of this item carefully. The best way to ensure someone gets many thousands of happy hours of listening to music through your sacrifice is to run over this TT with a large SUV whilst uttering the words "be gone fowl odour that doeth destroy the music".

How they ever dared to sell this POS (and the 170 and the 190) with a Thorens badge on it is a total mystery to me.

Due apologies to anyone who will now write a reply extoling this things virtures and telling my they have had thousands of hours of happy listening to this bargain table....blah .....blah.....blah......buy a CD player (and you may never again see that advice from me).

Maxy, please dispense with the rip-a-maroe and tell us how you reeeeeelly feel about this POS TT.

Thanks for the explanation, Max. It is to your credit that I knew when I read your post that there was more to it than many on this Forum have to pass as "TRVTH." I am not at all familiar with that table and certainly could not see the insides...but if Max says "stay away, far away..." that's pretty much good enough for me.

Dave