OT: Frostproof Hot/Cold faucet

Coytee

I bought this last summer and thought it was cool as beans. We're on a well so our water is cold. We wash our dogs outside and I really wanted some way to get them warm water instead of only cold.

Put this in last summer, forgot about it this winter and left the hose attached (big no-no). one of the pipes burst so I bought a replacement and that's what this is. I'll probably install it this weekend if I can 1. Stay off the forum long enough... 2. Stay away from my Klipsch long enough!!

post-15072-13819326395076_thumb.jpg

First pic was of the box so anyone would have the model number HOWEVER be "forewarned" that I bought the 8" version and you can get it in various lengths. I needed 8" to go through my block wall.

Here it is out of the box

post-15072-13819326395566_thumb.jpg

For the pic, I just shoved it through the wall.

as a second comment, since I was replumbing a lot of stuff, I decided I MIGHT put in a water softener. If I do that, I want THIS faucet "softened" and I don't care about the other two outdoor faucets I have.

Took some thinking & reconfigurating ([:^)]) to get it all laid out but that's how it is now. Once (if) I put a softener in the system, this will get softened water and my others (including my sprinkler system) will NOT be, so I won't waste softened water on the grass, but CAN use it to wash the car or make my dogs all fluffy.

post-15072-13819326396656_thumb.jpg

It gets that cold there that it freezes..............thought you were down South ? You let one freeze already? HOT water plumbed outside for the dogs, what a wonderful man you must be, plumbed HOT water outside..................Hot water freezes faster than cold water, but you probably know that. What happened, you left water in the hose and that water froze back to the faucet?.........................

It gets that cold there that it freezes..............thought you were down South ? You let one freeze already? HOT water plumbed outside for the dogs, what a wonderful man you must be, plumbed HOT water outside..................Hot water freezes faster than cold water, but you probably know that. What happened, you left water in the hose and that water froze back to the faucet?.........................

We had a couple days/nights of actual cold (as in nasty). I have 3 outdoor faucets, 4 if you consider this one has hot AND cold. This is the only one that burst and yes... some dufas left the hose on. I had taken the hoses off the other faucets.

Funny thing is, in hindsight I know exaclty when it happened. I had used the hose the day before. It wasn't so much the hose left on, but leaving the nozzle on the hose which kept all the water backed up. Had I just undone the hose (too lazy cause it was too cold to go back out [:$]) or perhaps taken the nozzel off...I might have been spared the indignity.

Notice what I said though...not only do the dogs get HOT water outside... they will ultimately get softened water! Gots to keep my Chloe, Otis, Hattie, Tubby and sister in laws dog Fanny, all fluffy !! [&]

You know... kinda like what happens when you use Prell? [:o]

Coytee,

I,too,wanted a hot/cold combo faucet and did mine in the summer of '05.Here is the review I did on mine-

http://plumbing.gillroys.com/Kitchen_and_bath_faucets_and_parts/Laundry__and_frost_proof_faucets/Horizontal_Anti-siphon_Frostproof_Hot_and_Cold_Wall_Hydrant-s428629.htm

I looked at the Woodford model but chose a horizontal model Arrowhead Brass faucet.Almost 2 years and no problems.

Jeff

I never heard of Arrowhead...then again... I only 'heard' about what my supply house had I'm sure!

Woodford also makes a traditional left/right.

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Downloads/Catalog.pdf

Page 11 shows both models. I don't recall why I made the choice to go vertical, other than perhaps looks... no real reason for me to be specific to either on.

I will say however, now that I have the vertical... on the inside when I brought my water pipes down, the vertical orientation DID cause me about 5 cents worth of "drats" since I had to supply pipes dropping from the ceiling and competing for the same space. I finally brought the pipes down with a couple inches left/right between them and then mounted them from the side into the faucet, rather than keeping them in a striaght line.

That is about the only reason why I wish in hindsight that I'd gone with the left/right setup. Been easier to bring my lines down and slap a 90 degree street elbow into them.

Coytee, Nice move on the h/C frostproof, one thought though. How thick is your block wall, You've only got an 8" frost free hydrant. If the threaded connection is not sufficiently inside the warm area of your home, it may freeze again, only this time without a garden hose connected. If the block wall is only a 4" verneer, your going to be fine, but if my suspicion is correct, you have an 8" block wall there, your not going to be able to keep the heat from the house from freezing the stop valve.

The only fix for this, if this is true, is to purchase the 12" model. The woodford is a good choice as it is easy to maintain.

Although, I've recently been using the MOEN brand Hot and cold frostproof. it is a single handle device that has a mixing valve integrated (Just like modern tub/shower valves). Just pull the knob outward to turn it on then rotate it left or right to adjust temp. I like these as they are ball valve style mechanisim and are about $15 cheaper than the woodford model. Not to mention only one hole to drill.

Coytee, Nice move on the h/C frostproof, one thought though. How thick is your block wall, You've only got an 8" frost free hydrant. If the threaded connection is not sufficiently inside the warm area of your home, it may freeze again, only this time without a garden hose connected. If the block wall is only a 4" verneer, your going to be fine, but if my suspicion is correct, you have an 8" block wall there, your not going to be able to keep the heat from the house from freezing the stop valve.

The only fix for this, if this is true, is to purchase the 12" model. The woodford is a good choice as it is easy to maintain.

Although, I've recently been using the MOEN brand Hot and cold frostproof. it is a single handle device that has a mixing valve integrated (Just like modern tub/shower valves). Just pull the knob outward to turn it on then rotate it left or right to adjust temp. I like these as they are ball valve style mechanisim and are about $15 cheaper than the woodford model. Not to mention only one hole to drill.

My block wall is 8" thick and the SEAT of the unit is at the threaded end inside the house. Meaning, there is an approximate 8" rod from the handle all the way through the copper tube to the seat on the far side. Additionally, (maybe I'm just anal?) I have some ball valves on each line inside the house, about 12" above the spot where they break through the wall. What I usually try to remember to do is shut the ball valve, then drain the line, then close the line. That gives me an empty faucet down to the seat and an air gap between the seat and my ball valve. Water on the other side of my ball valve is clearly inside the house and inside the heated garage.

I saw the Moen as pictured. As much as I like it, my next comment is going to get me into trouble. My wife likes to play dumb to things like this and is always saying how complicated I'm making things (honey... first you turn the preamp on, then active crossover, then the power amps... kinda thing)

Thought it might sound silly... the 2 reasons I got the 2 handle is for simplicity and when I bought it, I had no idea a single handle was available [:P]

Another comment about it freezing, interestingly enough it burst both pipes on the faucet between the seat and the outlet. Meaning, the only time it leaked is when I was using the faucet. With the faucet in the off position (and my interior ball valves open) it still didn't leak. to repeat my mistake, I had left not only the hose connected but had also left my nozzel on the hose which kept the hose full of water.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

I came across this thread searching for hot/cold outdoor frostproof faucets. I had seen the single handled Moen but it is not readily available. One of the local big box home centers does stock the horizontal Woodford model so that's what I went with... it even came with threads soldered on the inside while the Moen model I found just had bare copper tubing somewhat close together. Now I've just got to drill a couple of holes through the outer crawl space wall and get into my crawl space and get it installed.

I hadn't been to the Klipsch website in some time and this time around signed up for the forum as it seems like too much fun. And living only about an hour away from the Klipsch headquarters in Indy, I might be able to make the pilgramage.

So besides the info about hot/cold outdoor faucets, thanks for bring me to the Klipsch forum...

Ben S

Well.. ummmm... technically, hot water will, under the right conditions, freeze faster than cold. It has something to do with the energy loss due to evaporation, or some such thing. Do a web search, I'm sure it's out there.

As a side note, when it's really cold outside here, like 25 below F not including wind chill, if you take a cup of boiling water outside and throw it in the air it will flash freeze and hit the ground as little ice chunks. It's pretty dang cool the first couple times you see it. Cold water won't freeze fast enough for the same effect.

Wonder if that applies to women as well. Will a hot woman freeze faster than a cold one? And what about temperment? Does that affect the equation? IOW, will a mean woman freeze before a more accomadating woman, or is it just the other way around?

I wonder about things like this sometimes.

Keith

Gentlemen,

I came across this thread searching for hot/cold outdoor frostproof faucets. I had seen the single handled Moen but it is not readily available. One of the local big box home centers does stock the horizontal Woodford model so that's what I went with... it even came with threads soldered on the inside while the Moen model I found just had bare copper tubing somewhat close together. Now I've just got to drill a couple of holes through the outer crawl space wall and get into my crawl space and get it installed.

I hadn't been to the Klipsch website in some time and this time around signed up for the forum as it seems like too much fun. And living only about an hour away from the Klipsch headquarters in Indy, I might be able to make the pilgramage.

So besides the info about hot/cold outdoor faucets, thanks for bring me to the Klipsch forum...

Ben S

Welcome to the forum Ben....if things get slow over here come on up a few topics and talk BBQ with us. I think there is a guy from your neck of the woods posting there as well.

Chuck

... technically, hot water will, under the right conditions, freeze faster than cold.

As a side note, when it's really cold outside here, like 25 below F not including wind chill, if you take a cup of boiling water outside and throw it in the air it will flash freeze and hit the ground as little ice chunks. It's pretty dang cool the first couple times you see it. Cold water won't freeze fast enough for the same effect.

Nope.

The same amount of energy is required to change a given unit of water 1 degree from say 90C to 89C as from 10C to 9C!

The energy required to cause the change of state from a liquid to a solid, or visa versa, is referred to as the heat of fusion.

Water is a bit unique in that as it freezes the diatomic molecular structure undergoes a slight reorganization with the 2 oxygen atoms becoming oriented a bit 'wider' - thus the reason ice expands.

But the amount of energy to cause the change is exactly the same. And 1 calorie is defined as the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C at STP (standard temperature and pressure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_fusion

... technically, hot water will, under the right conditions, freeze faster than cold.

Nope.

The same amount of energy is required to change a given unit of water 1 degree from say 90C to 89C as from 10C to 9C!

The energy required to cause the change of state from a liquid to a solid, or visa versa, is referred to as the heat of fusion.

Water is a bit unique in that as it freezes the diatomic molecular structure undergoes a slight reorganization with the 2 oxygen atoms becoming oriented a bit 'wider' - thus the reason ice expands.

But the amount of energy to cause the change is exactly the same. And 1 calorie is defined as the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C at STP (standard temperature and pressure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthalpy_of_fusion

Well, CTBB is right as he said "under the right conditions." Generally, cooler water will freeze faster than warmer water but if the water is very hot, it can freeze faster. It's called the "Mpemba effect." One of the reasons (paraphrasing from ScientificAmerican.com) may be that the vaporization of each gram water above 80 degrees C wiil draw at least 500 cal of heat from the remaining volume of water. This is a lot of heat loss compared to the one cal per degree by thermal conduction. Also, there will be less water to freeze since some of it vaporized. Decreased convection due to thermal layering may also play a part.

Ask Scientific American

Water is a bit unique in that as it freezes the

diatomic molecular structure undergoes a slight reorganization with the

2 oxygen atoms becoming oriented a bit 'wider' - thus the reason ice

expands.

Water isn't a diatomic molecule and I think you meant the two hydrogen atoms. The H-O-H angle of the covalent bonds is about 105 degrees and does not become wider as water freezes. As water freezes, each molecule forms four hydrogen bonds with it's nearest neighbors forming a tetrahedron where the angle of the oxygen atoms (O-O-O) in the bonded molecules is 109 degrees. The tetrahedral structure can result in a variety of crystal forms but the hexagonal form is the only one we see at normal temperatures and pressures. The hexagonal crystal structure is quite open with lots of "empty space" which increases the volume of the lattice. This is the reason ice expands.