On properly sealing the Khorn bass bin...or how I have been missing out

Rudy81

Indy:

It sure did make me do quite a bit of thinking. I am no expert on horn technology, but from a basic perspective it stands to reason that if you have air leaks, you will loose some performance. Thanks for posting your thread. Since I have a dedicated room I opted for the simpler solution I put up a few years ago. What did come of this is that I realized I did not have a good seal on my Khorns. Boy am I glad I took a second look at this.

Thank you for all the information. I just got my K Horns 2 days ago and I can't get my horns tight into the corners. I picked up the false corners from the seller and they make quite a differance. They are made of 2 x 4's and dry wall. They are very ugly and dont come close to making a tight seal. I think I will build a base with castor wheels so I can move them around. My thought is to attack 3/4 plywood to the base to seal the bins. I dont really want to put screws into my K horns but I havent ruled it out. I was very impressed with how Indy sealed his up. I have to give this a very hard think before I do anything.

Thank you for all the information. I just got my K Horns 2 days ago and I can't get my horns tight into the corners. I picked up the false corners from the seller and they make quite a differance. They are made of 2 x 4's and dry wall. They are very ugly and dont come close to making a tight seal. I think I will build a base with castor wheels so I can move them around. My thought is to attack 3/4 plywood to the base to seal the bins. I dont really want to put screws into my K horns but I havent ruled it out. I was very impressed with how Indy sealed his up. I have to give this a very hard think before I do anything.

Congratualtions on the Klipschorns. I understand your reluctance to modify the cabiniets. Here is an option that I came up with that has minimal impact on the cabinet. Perhaps it will be useful in your application.

I also whole-heartedly agree that a good seal to the corner is critical.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/516341/516341/ShowThread.aspx#516341

Good Luck,

-Tom

rudy81,

you feel like trying another experiment?  on your false corners, put a top on them and have that it seal up to the bottom of the hf......

have a blessed night,

roy delgado

Do you mean like this?

WOW THAT IS AMAZING! 

Is that an industrial Khorn revamped for home use ?

Wow. I pop in here once in a while because I don't have the time I once did. Andy gave some good advice on horn dampening. Unfortunately I missed that thread from a few years ago and am guilty of having just covered my horns with Dynamat and rope caulk. I don't think I'm missing any highs, and I thought I remember liking the tweak after I did it some years ago. The tweaks which worked best for me were replacing the crossovers with ALKs- that was a big improvement to my ears, even though many say the original should sound better. The next (chronologically) best thing was when we moved from my condo into a home. The Khorns are still quite far apart, and I again have a window which prevents a good seal of one of the horns. But overall, there was a marked improvement of sound in the newer, bigger room with a sloped ceiling. Reading this thread has made me curious about the gains I might realize by sealing, but I never felt there was a lack in bass response- though I think I did hear more peaks and valleys in the bass, which may be what a good seal will correct. Now that I've seen the pics, I have a better idea of how to do it. Thanks to all who posted pics!