Jazz reccommendations please

Arky

I don't know enough to ask this intelligently but:

I don't like all horn bands i've heard in N.O. & Memphis.

I do like sax & other horns mixed with piano, guitar etc. That's probably not pure jazz.

Any starter ideas for me? I've read the jazz threads but don't know what's what.

You might try some Brubeck. Take Five is a classic most everyone likes and is very accessible, lots of good tunes. Oscar Peterson Trio (piano,bass,drums) has plenty of good albums you would probably like. Try some bebop, look for Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker for something a little (well maybe a lot) more adventurous. Get started with something you like and then keep expanding your jazz universe.

I too am wanting good recomendations for jazz. A few weeks ago while traveling to Tampa I was listening to a jazz station over there and I was hooked. Most of what they played was very relaxing and sounded very good to my ears. I was a little disapointed when the station faded out. Anyway a few C.D.'s I just got that I really like are Chuck Loeb The Moon, The Stars and the Setting Sun. Soothing guitar with some horns, very relaxing. and a recomendation from the manager at Borders was Chris Botti " To Love Again" I bought it and I like it. I really don't much care for Jazz that is not musical or sounds to me that it's just thrown together. I like a nice melodeous sound. I typically listen to classic rock, but enjoy many different varieties except rap or elevator music. Good luck in your search! If you find something that you really like let us know.

• Moderators

Try these two threads out:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/166766.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/220849.aspx

A ton of recommendations and information from Klipsch Forum Jazz experts. If you see something specific that interests you I am sure they can give you some specific information. I know that if you can tell someone like Allan what you like he can give you a 25 more titles you will love. But you have to find that first one you really enjoy.

Travis

Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Theolonius Monk, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Roosevelt "Baby Face" Willette....are my favorites. Mapleshade has a lot of jazz cds for $9.60 if you buy 4 or more....most of it recorded in their studio with tube mikes and no mixing.

Let me start off by saying that I do not profess to be a jazz expert by any means. However, if you like Saxophone, you can't leave out Roland Kirk. Several of his records are very accessible to music fans that may not be huge jazz fans. We free Kings, The Inflated Tear, and Blacknuss (contains several Soul/Motown covers) are all a good bet.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks to Allan Songer's recommendations on a discount CD purchase a while back,I have been really digging the Modern Jazz Quartet/Quintet, various combinations. Centered around a tight rhythm section and Milt Jackson's superb vibes, there are a variety of horn players that sit in and the MJQ recordings seem to be quintessential jazz to me.

To me, Miles is THE trumpet player, I care less for his electric offerings, but his posthumous Doo-Bop is uber cool, Tutu is electro-funk and The best of the Capitol/Blue Note Years presents a nice package of hits. Sketches of Spain and Collector's Items are also some old faves.

John Coltrane- Blue Train. Just get it.

If you enjoy a nice full-bodied acoustic jazz guitar, Indiana native Wes Montgomery is the man!

Let us know what you turn up in your search. I'm on the same trail

Michael

Pandora's Box on internet is a good way to expand musical horizons. You start with a couple of fave bands and create a 'station', then their computer of musics picks similar compositions/band that you might be interested in. It has some great logic and as you accept/reject and rate various songs, it's like a very knowledgable friend showing off their record collection to you.

'If you liked THAT, wait until you hear THIS' kind of thing.

dig it.

M

Not "all-horn":

The Squirrel Nut Zippers-especially "Hot", well known for the hit song "Hell" also, the album "Bedlam Ballroom"

The soundtrack of The Aviator-be sure it's the musical selections sound track and not the music-written-for-the-film soundtrack

Anything by Cab Calloway

New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars; Dixieland meets traditional Jewish folk melodies

Louis Armstrong and His Hot Fives and Sevens-on JSP records, a 4 CD set. Columbia has a similar product but the JSP transfers are much better. The number is JSPLOUISBOX 100 and I think it's on Amazon.

Jazz is more complicated than most women.

You don't just go around asking - "Hey, well, I'm looking for a woman, please recommend one, don't know much 'bout 'em, so...please."

Unless you do go around asking something like that. In that case you need Yanni, Kenny G and a box of Almaden Golden Chablis.

Jazz is more complicated than most women.

You don't just go around asking - "Hey, well, I'm looking for a woman, please recommend one, don't know much 'bout 'em, so...please."

Unless you do go around asking something like that. In that case you need Yanni, Kenny G and a box of Almaden Golden Chablis.

LOL! That & Colter's pandora's box (enticing), should fix me right up.

I bought these not too long ago. Never really found the time to listen. Most are unopened. I will sell them all for $105 plus shipping.

Invoice

Order #6010 Date: 07/21/2006 10:14:12 CDT

Thank you for your order. Please keep this invoice for your records.

We make every attempt to have all items in stock. However, please note that there will be times when products are not available and we do not accept back-orders. We also cannot guarantee when any product will be placed back in stock. You will only be billed and/or charged for the items that are actually shipped. Should you have any questions regarding your order, please contact Customer Service at 800-551-JAZZ (5299) info@concordrecords.com.

Ship To: Bill To:

XXXXXXXX

Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total

RCD-9433-2 Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean?

1 $2.98 $2.98

CCD-14074-2 Teddy Edwards Octet - Back To Avalon

1 $2.98 $2.98

OJCCD-073-2 Red Garland - Red Garland's Piano

1 $2.98 $2.98

PRCD-7130-2 Red Garland Quintet - All Mornin' Long

1 $2.98 $2.98

OJCCD-1894-2 Benny Golson - Stockholm Sojourn

1 $2.98 $2.98

CCD-14072-2 Hampton Hawes - Something Special

1 $2.98 $2.98

CCD-3523-2 Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes/The Trio: Vol. 3

1 $2.98 $2.98

OJCCD-1705-2 Hampton Hawes Quartet - Piano: East/West

1 $2.98 $2.98

CCD-3505-2 Hampton Hawes Trio - Hampton Hawes Trio, Vol. 1

1 $2.98 $2.98

RCD-9407-2 Milt Jackson/Wes Montgomery - Bags Meets Wes!

1 $2.98 $2.98

CCD-7527-2 Shelly Manne - My Fair Lady

1 $2.98 $2.98

PRCD-7005-2 Modern Jazz Quartet - Concorde

1 $2.98 $2.98

OJCCD-057-2 Modern Jazz Quartet - Django

1 $2.98 $2.98

RCD-1169-2 Wes Montgomery - Incredible Jazz Guitar

1 $2.98 $2.98

RCD-1106-2 Gerry Mulligan/Thelonious Monk - Mulligan Meets Monk

1 $2.98 $2.98

GXTB-5140-2 Art Pepper - Winter Moon