pCATS are running

scott0527

Just unpacked mine and they are even more impressive in person. If I lived alone and didnt have a housekeeper or a dog or a vacuum cleaner I would leave them on the floor. Ill fire them up and let you know later today my firs impessions! I will be taking them to our little Bay Area get together on Saturday so a few folks from the forum will get a chance to hear them.

Josh

BTW Mark, they are very easy to upack and set up. Your packing is great. THe skid is really the only way to go for something this big and heavy.

Just unpacked mine and they are even more impressive in person. If I lived alone and didnt have a housekeeper or a dog or a vacuum cleaner I would leave them on the floor. Ill fire them up and let you know later today my firs impessions! I will be taking them to our little Bay Area get together on Saturday so a few folks from the forum will get a chance to hear them.

Josh

It will be good to hear what some of the Bay Area folks think of them. I put my pcats up next to the Blueberry for a better view and picture for you all.

I've had a good couple of hours with them tonight. In those two hours I can tell you they sounded wonderful. "Wow!" is all could get out in an email to Mark. Never have I placed a piece a equipment that I felt easily bested the current gear I was using. The Blueberry did not create as dramatic of an improvement in my system as these seem to have done. What I'm comparing them too are several properly restored vintage tube amplifiers such as the Marantz 8B and McIntosh 240, a Rogue 88 Magnum and a Wright Sound 2a3 have all spent time in my den. Decent amplifiers, not world beaters but I have always liked my restored vintage amps. But in these first couple of hours, I have the feeling my old amps are being easily out performed.

Two hours worth of listening to familiar material for me. Talking Heads, DIre Straights, Wilco, Neil, and the like. Just an all out improvement from what I had going. Scary imaging, wonderful vocals, a real depth to the intstruments. The music would not let me ignore it. It's only two hours but I've seen some calls for first impressions so you're getting one. I kind of hate to give a good first impression since most of you all are probably rolling your eyes.... nobody ever hates thier new amp do they?

To avoid the "you paid for it, it must be good" comments, I'll be brutally honest and say I was kind of hoping I wouldn't like them or at the very least, not be impressed with them. Mark and some of his liberal takes on things political make me want to scream sometimes. I'm sure my takes would make him scream. But thankfully, this is an audio forum, Mark has amps to sell, I have money to buy amps, liberals, conservatives, trading goods and services, just one happy party. Sorry Mark, I hope you can still sleep tonight[:)] Somehow, in a perverted way I am trying to compliment your accomplishment.

post-15692-13819329842188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mark, Scott, Anyone?? Are there any closeup pics of the dial/knob recessed area? What's in there? I see red, yellow, and green lights? And I'm curious as to how the bias thing works.

Congratulations Scott! They're pretty stunning looking for sure.

Scott,

Congrats,these amps look great! And must sound even better.

The new look is a clear step in the right direction,the older versions looked a bit home made IMO with some exposed electronics.Well made no doubt but now ...looking good. From what I can see in the pics.

Scott, thanks for the quick review. Don't think there's much more you can say until you have a lot more time with them, but at least your initial impression are promising. Those of us that are waiting are probably anxious to hear even a little bit. I've also got a Wright 2a3 amp, so there is something for me to compare to.

Regarding the amps, since they are new, is there any break-in time that they require or did they already come "broken-in"? Same question can go with the tubes. Any instructions from Mark on this?

Sorry that my first take evaluation has taken a little longer than anticipated. It really wasnt until tonight that I could spend quality time with the new amps.

Got home on weds afternoon after a business lunch and only had a short period of time before I had to leave to go to the Giants game (they lost) So I was only able to hook them up and audition a couple of quick listens.

I have to say that initially I was not overwhelmingly impressed. Keep in mind it is not as if my current amp is any slouch. Many consider (me included) it to be the most musical and interesting of all the vintage McIntosh tube amps. I know that many will say that honor goes to the MC 30. I have owned both and my preference is for the MC 225 .I find the MC 225s more dynamic than the MC 30s. My initial take on the Pcat was that it sounded more like the MC30. Very musical and warm, but a little lush for my taste. Quite honestly I was thinking that there really wasnt an improvement over my MC 225. Boy was I wrong.

Finally tonight, I was able to spend some time with the amps. After letting them warm up for a good 10 minutes I started listening to familiar material. I then started to hear and appreciate how wonderful the Pcats are. The grain free smooth vocals, the dynamic highs, realistic musical bass, and pitch-black background combine to make magic. These are clearly the best I have ever heard. At least for my tastes. Maybe its the Peach / Pcat combo but this is freakin amazing. Wow and double wow. Did I say that the vocals are hauntingly realistic and nuanced? I am hearing personality in the voices that I didn't know existed.

For the record the amps that have been in my system are as follows. Scott 299b (nosvalves) Scott 299d (nosvalves) Dynaco St70 (nosvalves), Cary Rocket 88R, Cary SLI 80 (major upgrades) , Parasound and Hafler ss, McIntosh MC30s McIntosh Mc240, McIntosh MA6100, McIntosh MC225 and Fisher 400c. All of these are quality amps and quite honestly I would be happy to listen to any of them but this is really different. Liquid, dynamic and gripping. . Did I mention the vocals?

So far I have listened only to a limited number of CDs and LPs. They are

Neko Case The Tigers Have Spoken

Roseanne Cash Rules of Travel

Eleanor McEvoy Yola

Nina Simone Little Girl Blue

Ray Brown Soular Energy

Madeleine Peroux Half the perfect world

Janis Ian Breaking Silence

Allison Krauss and Union Station Live

Dire Straights Brothers in Arms

As you can see, I really havent tested the heavy rock world or challenging classical music. I have no doubts that they will excel with those genres as well. Particular classical. The feeling and reproduction of acoustic instruments is breathtaking. Piano is incredibly realistic.

So thats my first take.

Josh

Josh

It will be good to hear what some of the Bay Area folks think of them. I put my pcats up next to the Blueberry for a better view and picture for you all.

I've had a good couple of hours with them tonight. In those two hours I can tell you they sounded wonderful. "Wow!" is all could get out in an email to Mark. Never have I placed a piece a equipment that I felt easily bested the current gear I was using. The Blueberry did not create as dramatic of an improvement in my system as these seem to have done. What I'm comparing them too are several properly restored vintage tube amplifiers such as the Marantz 8B and McIntosh 240, a Rogue 88 Magnum and a Wright Sound 2a3 have all spent time in my den. Decent amplifiers, not world beaters but I have always liked my restored vintage amps. But in these first couple of hours, I have the feeling my old amps are being easily out performed.

Two hours worth of listening to familiar material for me. Talking Heads, DIre Straights, Wilco, Neil, and the like. Just an all out improvement from what I had going. Scary imaging, wonderful vocals, a real depth to the intstruments. The music would not let me ignore it. It's only two hours but I've seen some calls for first impressions so you're getting one. I kind of hate to give a good first impression since most of you all are probably rolling your eyes.... nobody ever hates thier new amp do they?

To avoid the "you paid for it, it must be good" comments, I'll be brutally honest and say I was kind of hoping I wouldn't like them or at the very least, not be impressed with them. Mark and some of his liberal takes on things political make me want to scream sometimes. I'm sure my takes would make him scream. But thankfully, this is an audio forum, Mark has amps to sell, I have money to buy amps, liberals, conservatives, trading goods and services, just one happy party. Sorry Mark, I hope you can still sleep tonight[:)] Somehow, in a perverted way I am trying to compliment your accomplishment.

OK where did you put your Turntables? I have to say the reorg on my rack is not fun!

Josh

[:D][:D]I think these are the first pics that really show the size of the amps.

Now that mark has the amps looking like they sound(spectactular I am sure![8][Y]) he should send a pair to the guy who reviewed his preamp. In fact Mark should send the Blueberry with the PCats!

First of all congrats Scott and Josh[:D]

I second Max's sentiments on the look of these and I'm sure the sound is right there with the looks and build Mark, just super[;)]

Scott, your rack is a thing of beauty buddy! Makes me want to come over and play at your house for a few days, possibly weeks[:D] Some of the finest looking vintage pieces I've seen in one corrall in a long time[:P]

They sure do look purty! And I'll bet they sound even better than they look! Just wish I had the money for a pair, but I think I'm gonna figure out how to put a pair of jubs in my family room before I do anything else. Also gotta save up for them. :)

Congrats, Mark!

Mike