Lasik Corrective Eye Surgery (or similar)??????

meagain

I broke my glasses. I have contacts but they are running out. I've never got the hang of contacts either. It's a PITA and they bother me. I'm also too cheap to throw them away when I'm supposed to.

Thinking of looking into surgery. I was told by an eye doc that surgery screws up your vision for reading. My vision for reading is going a bit downhill (when I wear contacts or glasses for far), so I'm a bit concerned about this. Years back, my husband was up on all the latest trends with lasik, etc. as well as the desired gear. He blew it off and now I want to start some research as to if this will be OK or not. Also need to figure out the costs with 'doing it right'. I hope to live long enough for it to pay for itself vs. the cost of glasses/contacts each year.

Has anyone here done this? Experiences? Price paid? And - has your reading vision deteriorated due to it? TIA!

I can't vouch for the quality of their analysis and no author is cited, but the Spring/Summer issue of the Washington Consumers' Checkbook (https://www.checkbook.org/) has an article that looks interesting -- "Taking a Pass on Glasses: Laser Eye surgery." It looks to be consumer's-guide type writing. While it looks OK on scanning, I wonder how credible it is. The Chicago area has a Checkbook, too.

I myself am not interested because I've lived with glasses and the protection around debris for a long time. Presbyopia is an increasing problem with the passage of "time," and my biggest decision was blended vs. line bifocals. I went with blended, and although there's distortion in the transitional areas, they're more flexible for dealing with intermediate distances and don't have an abrupt shift at the tell-tale line. I didn't do separate reading glasses because it's a heckuva lot easier to deal with only one pair and not losing track of a second.

Yea, my husband wears glasses. He has astigmatism. And his reading sight went downhill with them so he moved to the no line or transitional dealie. He has very small glasses too and it's working fine for him. Gosh, IDK what to do about this cuz I'm worried if I get the surgery for far away vision, that I won't be able to read at some point. This is my research project for the weekend. But ditching the contacts would be such a dream so I might accept the tradeoff. I'm hopeing I'll be surprised and they figured this out.

I went the contacts way and they have worked well for me.  I have one in the left eye for reading and one in the right eye for distance.  I know this sounds nutty for someone who hasn't tried it, but it is amazing how well that works.  I see clearly for reading and really am only using the left eye.  I see clearly distance and am really only using the right eye.  Took about a day for the brain to work that out and it beats the heck out of bi-focals in my opinion.

My wife needed something for reading, but had no trouble with distance vision, so she just wears one reading contact in only the left eye.

Bob

I went the contacts way and they have worked well for me. I have one in the left eye for reading and one in the right eye for distance. I know this sounds nutty for someone who hasn't tried it, but it is amazing how well that works. I see clearly for reading and really am only using the left eye. I see clearly distance and am really only using the right eye. Took about a day for the brain to work that out and it beats the heck out of bi-focals in my opinion.

My wife needed something for reading, but had no trouble with distance vision, so she just wears one reading contact in only the left eye.

Bob

Do you have a problem with headaches with this scenario?

No never had a headache using them.  Really, it is just amazing how the brain just uses the proper eye for everything without me being aware it is happening.  If I close the right eye, everything is fuzzy at distance.  If I close the left eye, everthing is fuzzy up close.  With both open, everything is clear.

Now there was this one time that I accidently got the two lenses switched.  For about 30 minutes, until I figured out what happened, things were definately strange.

Bob

I broke my glasses. I have contacts but they are running out. I've never got the hang of contacts either. It's a PITA and they bother me. I'm also too cheap to throw them away when I'm supposed to.

Thinking of looking into surgery. I was told by an eye doc that surgery screws up your vision for reading. My vision for reading is going a bit downhill (when I wear contacts or glasses for far), so I'm a bit concerned about this. Years back, my husband was up on all the latest trends with lasik, etc. as well as the desired gear. He blew it off and now I want to start some research as to if this will be OK or not. Also need to figure out the costs with 'doing it right'. I hope to live long enough for it to pay for itself vs. the cost of glasses/contacts each year.

Has anyone here done this? Experiences? Price paid? And - has your reading vision deteriorated due to it? TIA!

Hi,

I had what they call epi lasik My cornea was two thin to be cut and folded back so they just scrap the skin off,epidermal layer, then laser it. This was more painful than regular lasik where they cut the cornea then fold it back then laser under the flap. They then put the flap back down and let it heal. I was near sighted and was needing bifocals to read. I could take off my glasses and read if I held things at the end of my nose. My left eye was corrected to a slightly better than 20/20, My right eye is corrected to about 20/80 or something. I use my right eye to read and my left eye for distance. This is called monovision. Same princeple that BEC is using. It took about a week before I could drive, a couple of months before I stopped seeing halos around all lights at night. The only problems I have with it now is that my eyes get dry at night. Since I'm an old man(51) I have to get up to the bathroom several times a night anyway so I put drops in then. During the day I use some plain drops but that is all. The vision is good for reading and for distance. The only problems Ive had is driving in a snow storm with flat light. My depth of field is slightly screwed up and it was harder to make out tire traacks in the snow. (that is since my right eye doesn't focus at a distance) I snow skied and it was wonderful. My focus was much closer to me. I do have one slighly fuzzy spot about the distance of this computer screen though. I either have to slide closer or farther away and then it comes back in to focus. All in all I think it was worth it. Regular lasik the healing and vision come back much faster.

If you have any more questions just e-mail me meagain. (That me meagain sounds funny)

I am not an eye doctor, but I actually spoke with my collegue recently about this.

The most important part is to have a very exacting preoperative measurement of the eye done by the surgeon. He said that some doctors rush this part.

Also important to have the latest in laser technology.

He suggested that we contact the opthamology dept at the UT med school to ask who does the best at this. Near Chicago, you could contact one of the med schools there to ask about such things. These issues are much more important than price, etc.

Only get one set of eyeballs per life.

Paul

I think you should do a lot of research before doing this. You should not rely only on someone who is going to make money off you.

It is my understanding that Lasik it will correct for your present situation. Then in a few years your eyes will change and you're going to need glasses or contacts anyway.

I rely on glasses and find them acceptable. It is worth taking extra effort and finding someone to work with you. It makes a big difference.

I went through a few optomotrists until I found one who would work with me. I go back to him every time. He is associated with LensCrafters (as you might know, optomotrist are not allowed to sell glasses). But that is not the issue. I have complained about the plastic used. There are many types of course with different index of refraction, some coated. The light weight ones seems to cause color fringing. The point is, when I didn't like the results, he was in the same office space and worked with me on that too.

it is also important to be picky about results. For example, I do use no-line bifocals. Yes, they take a while to get use to.

I also have a set of glasses optimized just for reading and computer screen work. Single focus.

I also go back to Lenscrafters to get the frames adjusted and so the nose pieces are comfortable.

I'm not plugging Lenscrafters. I did have a bad experience with Pearl. But YMMV.

But I would be wary of anyplace which just sets you up with something and pushes you out the door.

The other odd thing is that my insurer (BC-BS) does not pay for glasses or exams. But Lenscrafters gave a big discount to BC-BS insured. Maybe there is some money arrangement.

Bottom line: Do research in any case. Shop around. Ask questions. Work with people (in a nice way).

I do go to an M.D. for other things. I think they don't have time to do a good job on glasses.

Gil

Gil makes some good points. I could argue a few of them, and am tempted to, but let me confine my comments to lasik:

I should mention that my wife and I are both ABO certified opticians, she works for an opthamologist's office, and part of their business is Lasik, as well as other surgeries, such as cataracts, laser surgery for glaucoma, corneal transplants, etc. I have had the procedure done, she has not.

A couple of things to know... First, if your reason for getting Lasik is to save money on glasses, you may never break even (depends how long you live, and how much you spend on eyewear, I guess). Second, if you do decide to get Lasik, you will not be able to wear your contact lenses for a full month prior to the surgery. That means glasses only for at least a month. Third, if you decide not to do the surgery, don't wear your contacts for longer than directed. Being too cheap to throw them out on time is no excuse. Overwear is one of the biggest causes of contact lens related infections, corneal edema, etc.

Now, Lasik does not "mess up" your near vision in any way. Your near vision naturally goes bad, usually in your early forties. There is nothing you can do about that. I had Lasik about 5 years ago, and still don't need glasses, but I am only 36 years old, so I'm sure in a few years, I'll need reading glasses. There are options for people who have already crossed that threshold, as a couple of people already mentioned. You can have Lasik and do Monovision, or you can just get your vision corrected to 20/20 and buy a bunch cheap dime store readers, or you can have some glasses made specifically for your correction. If you do get the Monovision, you can also have some glasses made to correct your distance vision for the eye that is corrected for near, for when you are driving, or vice versa for reading, etc.

When lookng for a doctor to do the surgery, don't look based on price. I would never go to the bargain Lasik center because as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. That is not to say that people don't go there and get good results, but why go to a cookie cutter, in and out center, when you can go somewhere that is going to give you specialized service? I'd much rather have a Surgeon that has done lots of procedures, Lasik and otherwise, that someone who only does Lasik. I suppose you could argue the opposite, but I think when you look at their records, the Lasik centers are going to have a much higher percentage of "enhancements," which is a nice way of saying do-overs.

My surgery cost me $2600 for both eyes (no I did not get a discount even though my wife works for the doctors) and was worth every penny. Was it that a big deal for me to put on glasses or contacts every morning? No. But still, now I don't have to think about it at all. When I used to go on trips, I'd have to pack, Glasses, Prescription Sunglasses, Contacts, Spare Contacts, Case, Cleaning Solution, and Non-Rx sunglasses. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can go about freely in my house without having to fumble for my glasses. I can also see the alarm clock, so I know how much time I have left before I have to get up.

My experience with the surgery itself was relatively painless. It was a bit scary when they were doing the procedure, but it was quick. I was gripping the arm rests on the chair pretty tight, and the doctor said my pulse rate went up to about 130! One thing that I'd have to caution you about, and someone already mentioned, is that after the surgery, your eyes get very dry. They will mention that to you when they are first educating you about the procedure, but they don't really stress just how dry your eyes will get. For the first few days, I was wishing I never got the surgery, because I was miserable with the dry eyes. But after a week or two, no problem. I stopped using drops after a few weeks, because I didn't need them any more. YMMV.

There are some exciting new technologies out there in corrective surgery, and things will only get better. For example, people who get cataracts removed now have the option to get a multifocal lens implant instead of a traditional implant. I can see that becoming an elective surgery down the road, although for now, it's a bit too invasive for me. The reason my wife hasn't had lasik is that for her Rx and Corneal topography, they don't have the technology perfected. She could have had the surgery years ago, but decided to wait for the technology to catch up. You could wait forever though, sooner or later you just gotta bite the bullet...

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Todd, do recent advances in Lasik surgery reduce or eliminate the change in contrast? I was under the impression that there was something in the procedure that reduced the contrast of our vision. That is one reason I have been waiting.

Think of contrast as the 'dynamic range' of sight. To a photographer, contrast is very important and I would not do anything to reduce it.

Michael

I've never heard of the contrast thing. I've heard of dry eyes, issues with seeing good at night, halos with lights at night. It's really hard to judge by reading forums, etc. because often people won't say which method they used, what machines were involved, the state of their vision before surgery, and when they got it done. My husband found a list of when the FDA? approved various machines so one can glean which machines are the lastest most improved, etc.

We have a popular place here in Chicago. Kraff. Unfortunately, I think the avg price is around $4k? That's rough. I could get a host of other procedures to refurb myself for that price. [:P] I might just cave and go get my exam, cool glasses, and switch to daily contacts instead of the 2-week type. IDK, if it was $1500-2k, I could stomach this cuz right now with exam, frames, contacts, I'm looking at what? $500? The glasses will last a few years though but still, those yearly exams to keep me in contacts add up.... But $4k? sheesh. I wonder if it's cheaper if one has not too bad of vision. Like, I'm -1.25 to -1.50, so I wonder if someone who's -3.80 would cost more?

I think more than anything, it has to be someone reputable. Rumours abound of places which tell you that it will be great for you, when in fact, it may not be. They are only doing it for the money.

A coworker of mine had this done a few years ago, and has loved it. He traveled to Atlanta to get his done, and has been very satisfied with it. He also gets to go back to do corrective touch ups (enhancements as Todd mentioned, but in a more positive light), because your eyes will still change over time. I think he is in his mid 50s. He spends all day working on a PC, dealing with spreadsheets, etc. I don't think he has has a problems with his surgery at all.

I am currently using trifocals, and find them to just be awkward, no matter which lens I am using. We have insurance that will cover most of the cost of glasses and exams, so I can get a new pair every two years. My out of pocket expense is pretty low, but I am still considering having the procedure done.

Bruce

Now, Lasik does not "mess up" your near vision in any way. Your near vision naturally goes bad, usually in your early forties. There is nothing you can do about that. I had Lasik about 5 years ago, and still don't need glasses, but I am only 36 years old, so I'm sure in a few years, I'll need reading glasses. There are options for people who have already crossed that threshold, as a couple of people already mentioned. You can have Lasik and do Monovision, or you can just get your vision corrected to 20/20 and buy a bunch cheap dime store readers, or you can have some glasses made specifically for your correction. If you do get the Monovision, you can also have some glasses made to correct your distance vision for the eye that is corrected for near, for when you are driving, or vice versa for reading, etc.

I have gone through the Lasik procedure myself about year and half ago, and I don't regret it the least bit.

I concur with just about everything "toddvj" wrote in his post above, especially the part I quoted above.

Unless you are buying some super-duper expensive glasses, Lasik is not ment for somebody who is just looking to save money on not having to buy glasses. I went through it because I am pretty active outdoors and having to deal with glasses was just becoming to much of a pain for me. I've never wore contacts though, and never wanted to hassle with the bother, thus it was alway glasses for me. Again, being pretty active outdoors, it seems I was always busting up a pair (every try to look for a lens that popped out of your glasses in the snow on the ski slope, especially during night skiing hours? Was interesting driving back home that night with only one good lense in my eye-glasses. Also broke a pair when I face-planted into a mogul while skiing the mogul run there at Massanutten as well). Also, nothing like having your glasses fog up behind your goggles while trying to ski something like "pav" over at A-basin in Colorado (an extremely steep, moguled run, peppered with trees)? It is not pretty - got annoying having to stop to clean the fog out every so much. Also, can't count how many times I nearly lost a pair in the river while kayaking or swimming (I had them sitting on a nearby rock on my shirt, only to have the wind blow my shirt into the water, with the glasses! Luckily, they landed in a shallow spot near the rock shielded from the current so I was able to find them.) Finally, when the technology was "good enough" for me, and the price was right, I said "enough is enough" and went and got my eyes zapped!

Yes, I experienced the halos at night and the dry eye problem. However, as far as I can tell, I've never had a problem with contrast, through. I am 37 now and I can read perfectly without needing any type of glasses. If in the future I do need glasses, I have a life-time of free followup procedures in case my vision needs to be restored. Probably will by time I hit 45.

I went and had it done at a LasikPlus center in Richmond, VA. They did a thorough eye exam. I was in there for a good solid hour plus for the eye exam. The actual procedure, although a bit intimidating at first, was actually relatively painless. Dr. Neil Wills did the procedure, and he did an excellent job. He was talking me through it, letting me know exactly what was going on and what to expect. The procedure was done using a Bausch & Lomb Flying Spot excimer laser, which was a very new piece of equipment at the time. They also have these "Custom LASIK" using this "WaveFront" technology that is supposed to really help with reducing problems with halos and other such "aberrations". I asked about that, which is more expensive than the procedure I went through, but the doctor told me that I really did not need that with my particular condition. I could do it if I wanted, but it was not necessary, so I opted to save the $1,500 or so that it would've cost me and went with the "standard LASIK" procedure. However, there was no way I was able to drive immediately after the procedure, thus I ended up staying in Richmond at a nearby hotel that night (plus they wanted a follow-up that following morning to make sure everything was starting to heal correctly, so no point driving back to Fredericksburg, a good hour away, and then again that morning). However, I was still able to make that Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert that following evening! Total out-of-pocket cost of the procedure for me was around $2,500 - and that was after the $500 that my insurance covered (total cost around $3,000). I don't know what I was actually more nervous about - the actual procedure or stroking that $2,500 check! In the end, I am so glad I went through with this. My vision was friggan bad - coke-bottle bad. Sitting at normal reading distance from my monitor, I would've not even been able to read that huge "Reply to Existing Message" text at the top of this reply page I am typing this on, now, I can read that tiny print way at the top upper-right corner with ease! Later, this past summer, I went to my regular eye-doctor for an annual eye exam, and he was impressed with the results. Yeah, he did write me a very mild prescription as my vision did settle a bit since I originally did the LASIK, but told me that if I wanted to fill it, it is my option, as I really did not need to. I may go and get my eye-glasses that I used to have remade into sunglasses using that prescription to make it a little nicer to drive on sunny days, especially as those were practically brand-new $300 frames that I'd hate to go to waste!

In the end, I am very glad I went through with this and would recommend it to anybody that is considering. But as is already said, definitely do your research and find a reputable doctor/center. Many of the good ones, such as that LasikPlus center I went to, will offer a free exam to determine if you are indeed a candidate and if so, what type of laser correction procedure would best work for your particular condition. I know for a fact they won't take anybody, as a co-worker went down there and they determine that he really did not need it yet. I also agree this is not something to go "bargain shopping" on, but at the same time, there is no reason to need to pay some ungodly amount either. I figure anything over $4,500 is probably to much, but to have a good procedure done by a reputable doctor/center, be prepared to pay at least a good $2,500 out of pocket. Hopefully your insurance will cover part of it.