Springtime In MD - Large Pics!

garymd

Thanks folks. The picture really doesn't do them justice.

Michael - The red one has almost been completely taken over by the surrounding pinks. Same variety though. My wife trims the runaway branches every year. It kills me to see people taking electric trimmers to their azaleas. They're not meant to be sawed off like a boxwood!!

The dogwood is only about 5 years old and replaced a huge maple that we took down. Unfortunately, deer ate the main branch on one side when the tree was a baby and the view from the house isn't as good. Damn critters![:@]

Mark - That's the fireplace in our new dining room. It was just converted to gas which is why the top is capped off. We'll be converting the family room fireplace also. As much as I love a wood fire, gas is just too easy and way more efficient.

Craig - What's FF???? - Nevermind.[;)]

I had to trim the picture. It wouldn't load on the forum in its original size of about 4.6.

• Moderators

Michael that is a Formosa Azalea they come on pink, white, red, and purple. If left to get out of control they would get 10' to 12' tall., the way his wife trims them is what you need to do to keep them in shape or they get much bigger and not as full.

• Moderators

Michael that is a Formosa Azalea they come on pink, white, red, and purple. If left to get out of control they would get 10' to 12' tall., the way his wife trims them is what you need to do to keep them in shape or they get much bigger and not as full.

Michael,

Formosa Azaleas do grow rather large (as Gary's pic shows) however there are numerous smaller varieties of azaleas that bloom just as profusely as the Formosa. The smaller varieties also require less pruning.

Gary, good job with the pruning, I also hate "Boxwood Azaleas". Planting the larger growing Formosa varieties is a very common landscape mistake, to compensate for the folks try to "box" the Formosas into the smaller area.

We use azaleas extensively in our landscape designs. The red varieties are beautiful when planted with Bridal Wreath Spirea which blooms all white. Daylillies are another favorite of mine.

I'm taking in all of the suggestions but REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE some help in my yard! You would think with parents that are LANDSCAPERS my garden would be beautiful but I don't even have a green dot on my thumb much less a green thumb! I guess once I get you hooked on with this construction company maybe I can call in a favor huh mom??? [*-)]

I have no idea Lisa. Whatever zone Baltimore falls under I suppose.

Thanks for the info Dtel & Co. My wife watches a lot of those home & garden shows and uses the internet to figure out how to prune correctly. With azaleas, branches begin to sprout about 6-8 inches beyond the rest of the bush toward the end of the season. Those are the ones you need to snip back to keep the fullness. It takes a while (and a ladder in our case) but works like a charm. We have a really nice one in our back yard under the kitchen window that's just beginning to bloom. I think it's a different variety. Although we cut it way back every year to keep it under the window, it stays beautiful. I'll snap a picture of it in a week or two when it's in full bloom. Maybe you'll be able to tell me if it's the same variety or something different. One of our neighbors has azaleas covering their entire front yard. I drove by today and it was jaw dropping!

• Moderators

I'm taking in all of the suggestions but REALLY WOULD APPRECIATE some help in my yard! You would think with parents that are LANDSCAPERS my garden would be beautiful but I don't even have a green dot on my thumb much less a green thumb! I guess once I get you hooked on with this construction company maybe I can call in a favor huh mom??? [*-)]

All you have to do is ask, you know your dad and I would give you advice, we would probably even come do the work, with you and Zack's help, of course.[:^)]

• Moderators

Thanks folks. The picture really doesn't do them justice.

Michael - The red one has almost been completely taken over by the surrounding pinks. Same variety though. My wife trims the runaway branches every year. It kills me to see people taking electric trimmers to their azaleas. They're not meant to be sawed off like a boxwood!!

The dogwood is only about 5 years old and replaced a huge maple that we took down. Unfortunately, deer ate the main branch on one side when the tree was a baby and the view from the house isn't as good. Damn critters![:@]

Mark - That's the fireplace in our new dining room. It was just converted to gas which is why the top is capped off. We'll be converting the family room fireplace also. As much as I love a wood fire, gas is just too easy and way more efficient.

Craig - What's FF???? - Nevermind.[;)]

I had to trim the picture. It wouldn't load on the forum in its original size of about 4.6.

Gary,

If you want, I'll bring my bow in October and you won't have any more deer problems.[^o)]