Tractrix on the cheap!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, It was from an old thread I think ALK and a few others contributed to. I did up my templates based on them. Originally it came out of Bruce Edgars calcs and ideas for a 2" lens. Al has some pics on his website. Also recently there was a thread on a magnificent pair being built...I can't remember who it was I'll have to do a search. My system recently died and I lost a lot of info and am now using Open Source (Suse) rather than Windows and just starting to find my way around.

Cheers

I really like SuSE great Linux distro.

I built these 2" 300 hz. horns using 3/8" bendable plywood. Not bad stuff, but next time I will probably laminate two sheets of 1/8" Russian Birch or 1/8" MDF. Those materials just finish better if you are going with paint.

post-9114-13819334014694_thumb.jpg

Lisa,

I tried several different materials to see how far they would bend to determine what types of materials might be used. I did not have any luck with Luan. The radius is tighter than it looks. Luan and Masonite cracked/broke under this kind of pressure. Russian/Finnish/Baltic Birch can be used at 1/8" or thinner to conform/bend to this radius. Tried soaking and steaming, did not work. Did'nt really expect it to with this kind of ply.

Anyway, my point is, a curve this tight obviously greatly reduces the types of materials available for the application. The bendable materials(like the 3/8" that I used)with exceptions of course, seem somewhat delicate to me. That is why I will most likely laminate two layers of 1/8" Birch Ply next time I make horns of this type construction. The strength, rigidity and non-ringing properties of this approach just seem to make sense.

I'm surprised it wouldn't work if wet. Hmmm.....

Well, what about veneer? IDK what thicknesses veneer comes in but if these horns don't have to be super thick (or one can dampen/support the non-visible parts with something over it)..... then one can get a pretty wooden horn look as a bonus?

Thanks for the website. I have seen this material before, but have not used it. Looks like nice stuff, eh?

Definitely looks interesting.  Note that Outwater recommends laminating two sheets with the cuts on the inside.  That would be a whole lot more stable than a single sheet.

Greg

Beautiful work Jordan. I caught your full thread and you have a gift.

By the way I have now done some A/B testing 401 v tractrix in my system, while there are certainly some irritations with the AK4 crossover using the tractrix, the result is cleaner and more defined than the 401. The sweet spot is also bigger and better.

Cheers

Steve