Seeking forgiveness.....

Tom Adams

I come before you a humble, Klipsch loving man seeking your absolution and understanding...

You see, three days ago my wife & I bought a new car. And, well, it came with this stereo you see and ever since then I've been just down right distraught. 'Cause the stereo is a, a, <gulp>...

ged, please don't make me say it.

It's a, ba, ba, ba.....Bose. Eek.gif

Oh woe is me...... Frown.gif

Tom Adams

Tom,

Go sit in the corner and say 10 Hail Mary's ... never mind.

We used to have a Maxima with the same brand (I couldn't type the B word) stereo in it. I must admit for a car stereo it sounded pretty good. I know it was equalized to match that particular car and would probably sound like crap in my Suburban. I missed a chance to hook up the LaScalas while they were in the back of the Sub.

Until Klipsch starts making car stereo speakers, which I wish they would (hint, hint, here's a sales opportunity), we must put up with other brand speakers in our cars and trucks.

Good luck in therapy.

Jim

I recently had the chance to hear the Bose system in a new 911. Buddy bought one. My company is now in liquidation, finacial backers would't come through with required round, Freshnex is in hibernation, I'm unemployed, so this is about as close as I'm gonna get to a new car for some time...

Anywho, it sounds really, really good. I'm serious. Makes me wish that Bose would put the same kind of effort into producing really high quality home audio as they obviously did for this project. Lord knows what a company with the number of good engineers and amount of money that they have to throw at a project could accomplish if they really wanted to.

If you want to see what a Bose can do when they put their engineers' hearts into a project, rather than the marketing geeks, go check this thing out. I promise you you'll be surprized and impressed by what you hear.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray,

Very sorry to hear about your job. Frown.gif I have Bose in my 92 Corvette (that's what Chevrolet puts in all their vettes) and I have to tell you it sucks the big one. I have the upgraded AC Delco/Bose system (a $1700 option) and I can only imagine what I could have done with the same amount of money. I had some Boston Acoustic Pro Series 5.2's and 6.2's in my Prelude, and these speakers just destroyed anything I have ever heard by Bose in a car. BTW, how did the 911 run? I have never had any problem taking a standard 911 but the Turbo's are another story. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Really sorry to read about that Ray Garrison... weren't you the Cheif Technical Officer, guess no one is safe. My cousin's husbands friend who was a fellow VP at compaq was fired... I read about you a looooooooooooooong time ago when you sent me a link to your company... probably don't remember that though Smile.gif good luck!

oh yeah... sorry bout the bose... my grandmother who has a nissan altima or sometihing has, no had a bose speaker system an dit was soooo problematic... she gave up Frown.gif got a Pioneer system put in. haha

------------------

-justin

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 12-18-2001 at 04:47 PM

My Dad has a bose in his '92 vette. It sucks. He had one in his '85 vette, and it sucked worse. You couldn't even hear it unless you cranked it. The Bose manual stated it was such a crafted feat of engineering, and so specific to the car. It had the balls to state that changing the carpet would cause it to perform poorly due to it's tight adjustments to the car. What B.S. How about 1 passenger vs 2, or how about a 200lb passenger vs a 150lb passenger. Carpet....what a joke.

Oh yea, my mom's Acura has a bose with no bass, and my wife's Millenia has a bose, that actually doesn't sound too bad. Not much bass without distortion, though. I actually like the Delco system in my Lumina quite fine.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Ray,

Sorry to hear about the job situation too.

We used to have a Maxima with a B**e stereo and I thought it sounded great. The problem was that speakers would quit, volume control got very scratchy, it finally would only play in mono...sound from R front speaker only. We had it repaired a few times but finally gave up on it.

------------------

Ed W

My Chrysler LHS came with an Infinity "spacial imaging" system which is one of the reasons I bought the car. It was touted as having 11 speakers (they counted both the woofers and tweeters in the rear and side doors) There are 3 small speakers on the dash (left, center, right). The system is equalized specifically for the car interior (car interiors are poor acoustical environments). While it's nowhere near my home system it is quite pleasant and the best I've heard in a car. Sounds like this might be what Bose did in their newer car systems.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

The best sound system i ever had in my car was the 400-watt, 12 speaker plus tube sub A/D/S AM/FM/cassette system with built-in six-disc CD changer and weatherband radio that came with my Land Rover Range Rover... i lost that car when tropical storm Allison hit Houston and took my car into the Buffalo Bayou Frown.gifFrown.gifFrown.gifFrown.gif... one of the worst days in the world of audio and off roading for me... oh well.Frown.gifFrown.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I too am sorry about your web site Ray, I am in the same boat, but it looks like we could both go to work for Justin -

I bet almost anything sounds good in a Porsche at 0 to 60 in less than 8 -

I have never heard a car stereo I liked, something about the narrow soundstage, lack of depth to the image, outside noises and that guy with the red flashing lights outside my window!

Off-topic reply first 'cause it's more important - Ray, I too am sorry to hear of your situation (ged, is "situation" a sorry a** attempt to soften unemployed or what? Frown.gif). Last October my company announced there would be a RIF starting mid November and continuing thru the first of the year. Don't know how you feel, but I think I have a sense. For many of us here it's like being on death row and not knowing when they're coming to take you to the electric chair. From what little I know of you, you seem to be a quality individual with a good sense of humor and marketable skills. I'll say a little prayer for good luck.

On topic - FWIW the car we bought is an Acura 3.2 TL-S and actually that B*se system doesn't sound too bad as long as it's not pushed. But then I get in my Chebby pickemup truck and realize how "soft" that B*se system is. I mean, I don't have a killer system in the truck, but it ain't shabby either. The big difference I notice is in the quality of bass. The B*se is boomy and mushy whereas in my truck it's solid, has punch and deepness without the boom (10" sub in ported custom box driven by 100W RMS mono amp). It's as though the general populace is being tricked into thinking that just because they're hearing this sonic "booming", that means their XYZ speaker is making a lot of bass. Anyhow, the system in the Acura is passable (for now) and its deficiencies are more than made up by the car's ability to haul booty-butt!! Smile.gif

Tom Adams

Ack sorry to hear about the job Ray. My company just RIF'd more people too for a total of 47% since June. The rest of us lost our pension and took a 15% cut (which I guess is better than a 100% one). Times are just tough out there.

However the best sound system for any car is........

the motorcwm1.gif

My hopped up 'stang and a free flowing exhaust is all the sound I need. Humm now maybe if I shoehorn the Cornwalls in there.

Oh and to Tom you have sinned....hand over your sockcwm20.gif

Laters,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 12-19-2001 at 10:20 PM

Ray,

Let me add my condolences.

Some years ago I resisted going to the unemployment office to apply for the remarkably small check. Shame, horror, etc.

When I eventually got there, it was like sitting on the Group W bench. And I realized I was in the company of some very hard working people who got canned for no good reason.

I dunno what it is with Bose. They really seem devoted to making small speakers, no matter how much it compromises performance. No wonder they make things work in a small enclosure like a car.

One of the better car stereos I had was back in the '70s with an 8 track Pioneer with an FM stereo plug in cartridge. No, no, wait and read the rest.

I bought some oddball 3 inch speakers in little plastic cabinets which were prism shaped so that when mounted on the doors, the speakers actually faced toward the listener. This was augmented by some 6 x 9 in the rear. Crude by today's standards. Yet I think there is something to be said for being on axis to the drivers.

Gil

Sorry to here about your job Ray,

Anyways,Bose makes LOTS of factory stereos for cars. However, for me, I like my stereo to be VERY loud in a car. It needs to hurt the chest, and shake the windows out of the car. Rockford fosgate is my hero in cars, as Klipsch is my hero in home audio. A car stereo for me needs notonly to be loud, but to sound cool. Not like music, but like cool speakers, that sound cool..Not breathtaking dynamics and other such stuff..But PURE SPL, with tons of un-called-for Boomy, get arrested for bass..

But thats just me. Car audio will never sound GOOD in a practicle way.

Anyone agree with me??

------------------

Matthew

Gatta' love klipsch

I don't think Mark Levinson or Lexus will agree. Mark Levinson has been producing an optional audio system for some of the 2002 Lexus models. My in-laws just got a new LS430, but opted not to get the $8000 stereo upgrade. However, they commented that it sure as hell sounded good. From what I have read and been told, this might be one of the best stereo systems ever available in a production car with a price tag of $75,000 or less. It is also Mark Levinson's first car attempt. It sounds like Lexus had to practically beg them to do the project as ML didn't want to tarnish their name with some Blose like system. I just want to test drive the audio system, not the car. The car is great, but I drive that often enough.

My friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee... nearly the whole back cargo area is full of amps and subs... He has an amazing JBL system in it, it rocks not only his car but the vehicle 5 cars up! LoL! I also have a friend with a Lexus RX300 (spoiled...) and did the same and it is amazing... weird part is that the owner is a she, not to be sexist AT ALL but it is a rare sight to meet a girl who knows as much about audio as yourself, and even more about car audio. I envy not only her car but her ears. These are both the best car systems that I ever have heard, minus my A/D/S system that is no more ------ whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ------ Now i will be getting a Honda Civic coupe, in February, any ideas on what i should put in it? Wanted to try and do some modding and put in some SCR's in but not looking like that will happen LoL!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Justin-

Did anyone mention that McIntosh makes car stereo equipment? Some problems that arise may be that their best amp probably will not fit in trunk width-wise but maybe sideways (front to back). The other problem is that you may have to hitch a ride to work with one your friends because car payments would almost be out of the question! LOL

Good luck,

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Monster Power HTS-5000

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Vibrapods

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Well...IMHO, I think a car audio system can be made to sound quite good. As for whether it sounds as good or better than a home system is apples & oranges as far as I'm concerned. I mean, comparing the sound of a car audio system to a home system is like comparing a home system to a pair of headphones. Both have their own sonic traits.

To me, the trick is matching various drivers so they work together in the various places they have to be installed. The second important piece is an active equalizer for it's the only way to tame the car's interior. This is where very good car audio becomes a black art. I have very inexpensive drivers and amps in my pickemup, but they work very well together. And while my system can't generate huge SPL's, it wasn't designed for that. Mine was designed for moderate sound levels with tight accurate bass, vocals that were pronounced without harshness and crisp highs that didn't feel like your ears were being pierced with an ice pick. A RTA was used to achieve a flat response at both driver & passenger ear levels. From there, the system was tweaked a bit more to please my ears and not just the RTA's mic. I bet you'd be shocked to hear what my pickemup sounds like and even more shocked at how little I really spent.

Tom Adams