6922/6DJ8 preamp preference?

HarryO

Are you referring specically to a Blueberry? It makes a difference.

It took me about 5 tries but I finally found a quiet Seimans Cca thanks to one of my forum buddies. Just because a 6922 tube is quiet in a different piece of gear does not mean it'll be that way in the BB. They are very sensitive units with regards to the 6DJ8/6922. The Cca is a great sounding tube. The one that finally worked in my BBX was a sealed late 50s Seimans. I also like the Pinch-Waist 6922s but of the 2 I tried, both ended up noisy or microphonic. Didn't start that way.

The one Mark sends with his units are fine and always quiet. If you're mostly using the phono section, the 6DJ8 is not as important as the 12AT7 in the V1 slot IMO. That's where I'd suggest you spend your money. If CDs are your thing, hunt down a nice and quiet Cca.

The linesatge in my Conrad Johnson preamp that I use in my office system uses a pair of 6DJ8s--I have triend the 7308 Amperex, 6DJ8 Bugle Boys (NOISY!) and finally a pair of Valvo E88CC which have proved to be VERY nice--quiet as quiet can be and they have a nice, rich and smooth character--not overly detailed.

But the most important thing is to find a pair that are dead quiet, so I suggest you buy them from a solid tube vendor--on ebay you're liable to get real crap.

Seems like we're all finding out the same thing on the 6DJ8/6922. Noise is a problem with the BBs. Strangely enough I'm already running the Seimans in my CD player. I'm getting tube poor and way too much stock playing the tube game. Looking for good starting points and the help is definitely appreciated.

The application is a Dodd Audio ELP pre.

Thank you,

Harry

I have found the EH tubes to be very good. 6922, 12ax7, 7591

Man, I hate to admit this but I'm no fan of the EH. I'll probably be banished to some distant place like the "Isle of Bose" or somewhere just as unrespectable but they just don't do it for me. I don't have the tube lingo down but to me they have "No Color". My ears say "YUK".

Harry

I have found the EH tubes to be very good. 6922, 12ax7, 7591

Man, I hate to admit this but I'm no fan of the EH. I'll probably be banished to some distant place like the "Isle of Bose" or somewhere just as unrespectable but they just don't do it for me. I don't have the tube lingo down but to me they have "No Color". My ears say "YUK".

Harry

For the first couple of years I was into tubes I hunted and spent a lot of money on the NOS tubes. I definitely hit the nail on the head a few times and obtained some excellent sounding tubes that beat all the current production. But...I also wound up with many duds..noisy and really spent a ton of money. I got tired of getting ripped off and decided to try a few of the current production tubes again. I think many have gotten better. They are still not good NOS sounding I agree. I can absolutely understand someone not liking the sound of certain brands too. I agree they are all different....which is nice. The equipment you use them in will allso matter.

But I did find that in my Jolida JD100, Peach, and old HH Scotts the EH tubes are respectable for sure.....and cheap.....again in MY system. Obviously everyone's mileage will vary.

Mark1101

I am in 100% agreement with you. I don't think one tube brand is a universal fit in ALL equipment. I've been doing the tube thingy on and off for the better part of 40 years now. Some of my equipment I can throw in about any kind of tube and it's great. No problems. Others are very picky about what kind of glass I feed them.

Tweaking out a high end system for the last bit of smile on my face is part of the joy of tube listening. Like the majority of audio geeks I've spent a lot of money on my system. I want the most I can get out of it. Every note reproduced is important. Every piece I own gets a critical listening and Tweaked to max if possible. I take a lot of steps backwards sometimes too.

I'm not complaining about any particular tube brand per se but I'm concentrating on the preamp right now. I find the older NOS(liberal translation) tubes a bit more pleasing to my ears for the most part. I have literally thousands of NEW, NOS and used tubes I've acquired over the years just sitting around collecting dust for the most part. I don't care for the sound of most of them either. If I was running VRDs and JMs only I'm sure it's a well travelled path with well documented solutions. Much easier. Of course I haven't gone this route. Yet. The VRDs are looking good though. So is the JM gear. (MD, BTW, I like silver face. HINT HINT)

I'd love to find a cheaper path of course. Sometimes the cheapest tubes turn into the most expensive by the time I find the sound I'm looking for out of my gear. I understand mass production needs for stock but individualizing or tuning if you may is what I'm trying to accomplish here. Just looking for suggestions from our members here. I TRUST your ears and wallets when it comes to our hobby/passion. I didn't ask anywhere else for this reason. This forum is the best in my opinion. Some smart people here. I feel so inadequate in my audio knowledge at times. Some of our members are very educated in this field. YOUR opinions do matter to me. (except for short pants kids)

I just pulled out the Seimans and put them in the pre. Warming up now. I'll let you know what I find with them.

Any more?

Harry

Well, that being said then if you want the absolute best I would only look at the NOS tubes. I don't believe any of the new production sound as good as as the real NOS. And of course some of those you won't prefer either but you know all that.

For me..I do what you do. Where I know I can get away with a less expensive tube...I do that.

Great!!!,

I'm getting old and my vision is on the downside. I NEED the lighter colors to see. After I get used to something it all comes natural but I switch around quite often with numerous systems and repetition/habit is out the window here. Late at night most of my lighting is by hot glowing tube in the front room anyway. I try to keep a small light handy just to check settings and adjustments. Silvers just make it easier late at night or in low light conditions. I wear tri-focals now when I work on gear. No can do black.

I've got a new preamp on the way as we speak. I bought another McAlister to match my amp. I buy a couple of new pieces every year and I've been looking at yours pretty close the last couple of months. After this system is put together I'm looking at the VRDs and BBX though I'm about through with vinyl (for now anyway I'm keeping lots of vinyl in the closet) and thought about the Peach before I ordered the McAlister New Design.

Juicy Music is well thought of in many circles. I will own one very soon. In silver of course. Hey, I'm not extremely stupid. I love good gear. Yours is a must.

Harry

(MD, BTW, I like silver face. HINT HINT)

===========

All ya gotta do is order one. I'll make it in black, silver, champaign or whatever color you like. Ok, actually, we are ordering up some silver versions for the remote units.

Hey Mark, got a tube question..... Which 12AT7 or variant there of whould you recommend for the Phono stage of the BBX? I know what I've been happy with, but what would you recommend....

thanx

Gilbert--

Electro-Harmonix 12AT7 Gold. $26 bucks.

Thanks, just bought 2 for just $31, delivered to my doorstep. I'll give it an honest work out.

Also, I'm sending you a PM about a custom MR71 cabinet.....

thanks again.

post-12381-13819334755112_thumb.jpg

I really like the Telefunken E88CC/6922. It was the best sounding 6DJ8 in my Airtight ATE-2 preamp. Not as dry sounding as many 6DJ8's. At that time, I only had one NOS Siemens CCa (which I sold to Gary) so I couldn't make a head to head shootout. The Valvo redprint E88CC was close second.

I really like the Telefunken E88CC/6922. It was the best sounding 6DJ8 in my Airtight ATE-2 preamp. Not as dry sounding as many 6DJ8's. At that time, I only had one NOS CCa (which I sold to Gary) so I coundn't make a head to head shootout. The Valvo redprint E88CC was close second.

Guy, I agree completely. I'm currently running some 1960's Telefunken CCa's in the BBX. I have some of nos nib early red print Valvo pinched waist E88CC's, but haven't yet tried them. I think I'll do that later today, but the Telefunken and Seimens are gonna be tough to beat. I've tried Mullards but ditched them, I've tried Bugle Boy's and liked them, but the german tubes sound better to my ears, but think I'm developing a bias towards german tubes, and I don't think that's a good thing. Gotta stay opened minded, but it's hard.