Klipschorn as a two-way

Deang

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW Dean... I am heading to Piqua next Wednesday on my first leg towards Indianapolis. Not sure of timing yet but thought I'd offer to buy you lunch (or appropriate meal for time of day I swing through town) if you have the interest & opportunity.

It's a Klipschorn thread, sort of.:)

I'm not talking about a DIY effort, but a Klipsch engineered solution using the K-510 and K-69-A. Klipschorn users could enjoy the benefits of the large format driver while saving for the bottoms. I'm not saying Klipsch is doing this -- I'm just curious if the idea has any appeal.

Dean,

I've wondered about it. Seemed like the possibility was limited by the top end of the Khorn bass bin and capability of the HF driver to pick up at that threshold.

What do you think is the usable range of the Khorn bass bin? What about the driver? How low can it cross?

Anyway, the idea of a two way based on the Khorn is most interesting. I think it could be fun to set up a CW with your HF, since it can be crossed at 800 or so.

DeanG

I'm trying this with a K-510/k-69-a and k-703/k-70-g

The horns fit if you put the k-510 horizontal and the k-703 vertical

That's cheating, it's not a two way.:) But yeah, the K-510 would fit very nicely in a Klipschorn baffle.

What do you think is the usable range of the Khorn bass bin?

It'll do 500Hz.

What about the driver? How low can it cross?

The Jubilee crosses at 550Hz with a 24dB/octave network. So, one might go 36dB/octave at 500Hz. It's possible that 24dB/octave might still work.

post-3205-13819334651818_thumb.jpg

The horns fit if you put the k-510 horizontal and the k-703 vertical

Doing that screws up the polar patterns between the two horns. Way up high you will be nice a wide horizontally and narrower vertically, in the mids you will be narrower horizontally and wider vertically. Ideally polar patterns should match at crossover points.

Shawn

The Jubilee crosses at 550Hz with a 24dB/octave network. So, one might go 36dB/octave at 500Hz. It's possible that 24dB/octave might still work.

Dean,

In a home setup I'd be surprised if the K69 wouldn't be able to handle 500hz fourth order. The 44xt I'm using is rated for 50w continuous (200w peak) power with a second order crossover at 500hz. It has a larger diaphragm though.

Shawn

sfogg

"Doing that screws up the polar patterns between the two horns. Way up high you will be nice a wide horizontally and narrower vertically, in the mids you will be narrower horizontally and wider vertically. Ideally polar patterns should match at crossover points."

Not a problem...I ordered some fuel saver magnets to put on the speaker wires to make the correction.....the show must go on.

post-22082-13819334656548_thumb.jpg

I'm probably not knoweldgable enough about the how or what it is that makes me drool over the the Khorn, but I was wondering why there hasn't been an effort to update the mighty khorn with a tracktrix style horn for the mid and tweeter. Wouldn't the wider dispersion of the tracktrix alleviate some of the issues of widening the sweet spot, or potentially eliminate the toeing in of the speakers ruining the bass because of the poor seal to the back walls?

I'm probably not knoweldgable enough about the how or what it is that makes me drool over the the Khorn, but I was wondering why there hasn't been an effort to update the mighty khorn with a tracktrix style horn for the mid and tweeter. Wouldn't the wider dispersion of the tracktrix alleviate some of the issues of widening the sweet spot, or potentially eliminate the toeing in of the speakers ruining the bass because of the poor seal to the back walls?

I've read some of the purported reasons in here why Klipsch never changed the mid horn and tweeter designs, but since I have no independent basis to confirm anything - I'll just chalk them up to speculation. Those of us who have modded our Klipschorns with Al K's Trachorn and different tweeter designs (e.g. baby cheeks) do not have any problems with the size of our sweet spot. And, I would never think of toeing in my Khorns. Not gonna do it. Not necessary.

That being said, I think there is probably more interest out there in the two-way idea for the Khorns than is reflected so far in this thread - and even from those of us with mods such as Trachorns.

I just think people are being shy.......[:o]

Carl.

Not so much about Khorns, but after 20+ years with 2 ways, when I went to the 3 way Heresy, it took awhile to learn to like the sound of a 3 way. Last week-end I hooked up my KG4's to the Scott, sounded good for awhile, but slowly found myself missing the sound of the 3 way. Funny what time does to one's taste.........I missed the 3 way Heresy's..........probably would apply to Khorns too, but the thought of a 2 way Khorn is interesting, that could be a tough choice............