Ok try again.. How we help each other..

I have no idea what happened in the post (dibs) to get it locked, but this has been pretty much universal on this forum? I feel it still is... or is it not so anymore? Can we have a nice discussion on this topic here?

===================================================================

Colterphoto1 and myself have helped people for years on here to great deals.. Even sold "out of inventory" too, a few times! Although I think Michael seems to want his for his own museum too? hahahahaha

Look, if you ever find something YOU want, be quiet about it.. Go get them, and keep your mouth shut!

Calling it your find or Dibbs only come into play when someone else.. myself or anyone finds a deal someone else may want.. e.g. Say I found a pair opf Scala's for 600 dollars, and I know someone is probably looking for them off for the board. So, I post a link or talk about the find.... (Ususally people say "not for me, but if your looking" .. look here. www.com or here is my address) It is still up to someone else, i.e. YOU, to close the deal.

You might say thanks Roger, or whoever pointed you in the right diection.. and go get them. After you call the source say, OK, I want them, talked to the person agreed on a price, then post on here "I am getting them tomorrow etc., and thanks for the lead." MOST people on here will respect that, leave you and the seller alone etc., to your find.

Afterwards, let us know what you thought, and post pics, give kudos to people involved, (sometimes these things are located across the country,) people store them a few days weeks ..LOL months... or get them to you too! There is an "implied trust" of most of the great people on here too. Oh, one last thing..... enjoy life with them too.

But to post a "find" on something you want, is just plain stupid... Especially if it is a great very low ball $$ wise deal...

I wanna say something here too... and it is a personal pet peve... Those of you who want your "dream speakers" but will not drive a few min to a couple hours hours or more to get them. You just amaze me! Get off of your arse and go get them and enjoy life.. Geeze.. Sometimes the journey to go get them is in part what will make them so special to you too. This comes from a guy that road tripped from Indianapolis, Indiana to Cleveland Ohio and back on one trip, and Indianapolis to MiamiFlorida and back to get a total of 8 identical La Scalas... Was it worth it? You bet! And I found both sets off of this forum board too. No one undercut me.. We helped each other on here. THAT is what it is all about!

There are a few people that abuse his "unwritten trust issue" of helping others on here. They quickly find out no one will help them out later.. Call it moral suasion if you like, but treat others like you would like to be treated, goes a long way on here.... and in real life.

This whole dibs thing implies we are a closed community with control over the market entrees; that is just not true and the dibs system will fail inside and out. It is irrational, unenforcible, anti-market, and quite unfair to those not fast enough to get in their claim.

Maybe that last problem can be solved by letting folks put in their claims in advance? That happens now when some indicates what they are looking for and others keep an eye out for them, but; can one claim dibs on the next pair of perfect Khorns to surface for under $800? No, and it
makes no more sense to claim dibs on a speaker in the open market than
it does to claim dibs for a speaker that has not appeared in the market
yet.

I know Christy, LOL

Maybe I just don't see it as a big deal.. it is a dog eat dog world we live in true Christy. Maybe between us on here, I just expected more is all? I bet none of the "screw the next guy, a deal is a deal" people never went to the Klipsch Weekend or have a clue how passionate and giving some people really are? I have driven, as you have, hours to help someone get a pair of speakers he dreamed of out of being a friend... makes me wonder on here sometimes?

Just maybe as we get bigger in numbers on here.. it loses some of the mystique?

Hey, y'all listen up! (how's that Christy?)

I look at it like a gentlemanly game of tennis, or a bit of Zen if you will. I'll get the deals that are supposed to come my way. Others may get better deals (HarryO) and some may not swing my way, but if I help others, they usually help me in return. I have stepped aside on deals (dtel's Forte II's), made fair swaps (HarryO), been on the road with no direction at all (Thumplestiltskin), arranged crosscountry swaps (BHendrix), made insane road trips to pickup gear (Indy), been involved in some bizarre trades/deals (Dizrotus), had people pick stuff up for me (Dtel, Joe Riff, MikeL), sold a guy his speakers back when he changed his mind (BillH), picked up for others (Doc), held and shipped gear (Richard in NY with CF's), received free repairs (Scott0527), the list goes on and on and on. There is so much good here that it doesn't even pay to dredge up the occasional lapse (see, I can't think of any right now).

It's kind of like the 'you want a friend, be a friend' give and take. I've been the recipient of more than a few offers and instances where a man I never even met (henceforth known as 'Brother') did me a Klipsch favor. These get 'paid forward' and good stuff just seems to happen- a lot. This was taught to me early in this Forum and I'm glad I paid attention. Yes there's always the struggles with the 'public' and you never know who will grab a deal that you thought was yours. They must have wanted it more if they pay more. Let it go people. You'll get yours, just be patient. In my experience, a better and closer deal usually shows its face soon enough.

To me it's not a competition, just an obsession. Seriously, this collection has been a chance to own some wonderful products, fill a home with music, get out a lot, make new friends, and enlarge my circle of Klipsch fans. I've even gotten a job out of this journey. I've stayed at many of y'uns houses and you've stayed at mine. I've met wives, kids, pets, family. I kid people that I can go anywhere east of the Mississippi and find a place to lie my head before nightfall. Maybe I'm just on a pink cloud after the Pilgrimage- no, that's pretty much whats been happening over the past three years for me.

We are pen pals, we are nuts with a peculiar hobby, we are scientists and we are artists. It's a grown up game.

I love this gang.

Michael

Hey, y'all listen up! (how's that Christy?)

I look at it like a gentlemanly game of tennis, or a bit of Zen if you will. I'll get the deals that are supposed to come my way. Others may get better deals (HarryO) and some may not swing my way, but if I help others, they usually help me in return. I have stepped aside on deals (dtel's Forte II's), made fair swaps (HarryO), been on the road with no direction at all (Thumplestiltskin), arranged crosscountry swaps (BHendrix), made insane road trips to pickup gear (Indy), been involved in some bizarre trades/deals (Dizrotus), had people pick stuff up for me (Dtel, Joe Riff, MikeL), sold a guy his speakers back when he changed his mind (BillH), picked up for others (Doc), held and shipped gear (Richard in NY with CF's), received free repairs (Scott0527), the list goes on and on and on. There is so much good here that it doesn't even pay to dredge up the occasional lapse (see, I can't think of any right now).

It's kind of like the 'you want a friend, be a friend' give and take. I've been the recipient of more than a few offers and instances where a man I never even met (henceforth known as 'Brother') did me a Klipsch favor. These get 'paid forward' and good stuff just seems to happen- a lot. This was taught to me early in this Forum and I'm glad I paid attention. Yes there's always the struggles with the 'public' and you never know who will grab a deal that you thought was yours. They must have wanted it more if they pay more. Let it go people. You'll get yours, just be patient. In my experience, a better and closer deal usually shows its face soon enough.

To me it's not a competition, just an obsession. Seriously, this collection has been a chance to own some wonderful products, fill a home with music, get out a lot, make new friends, and enlarge my circle of Klipsch fans. I've even gotten a job out of this journey. I've stayed at many of y'uns houses and you've stayed at mine. I've met wives, kids, pets, family. I kid people that I can go anywhere east of the Mississippi and find a place to lie my head before nightfall. Maybe I'm just on a pink cloud after the Pilgrimage- no, that's pretty much whats been happening over the past three years for me.

We are pen pals, we are nuts with a peculiar hobby, we are scientists and we are artists. It's a grown up game.

I love this gang.

Michael

I believe Michael has put it best. I have only been around this forum for a little over a year and have read a lot of the threads,(mostly 2-channel). I have asked for help in making decisions on equipment and speakers and am very pleased with the responses I have received. I am not as familiar with audio as I believe the rest of you might be. I just know there is a "brotherhood", if you will, and a willingness to help others that have similar interests. It is touching to see that some of you have become friends, possibly, great friends, due to this medium. There is comedy, drama, and some very intelligent and artistic minds at work here. I feel very fortunate and very grateful to be able to participate on this forum and hope that one day I too may be able to meet some of you. And, yes, this can certainly turn into an obsession.

Tom

One problem with this theory..........any Tom, Dick, sally, Rachel or Harry can read this forum. Posting Dibs will mean zero to those folks. You find a deal I say keep it private until you have the gear in your possesion. Find a deal you know is great but you not interested then post away and let the person with a fast trigger finger make the score.

I was alerted to a set of mint 94 Lascalas last year on this forum and instantly emailed the semi local seller saying I would take them no questions asked sight unseen while many others asked for pictures and reassurance of condition. Also others on this forum tried to out bid me after the sale was agreed upon and I was on the way to pick the speakers up. While we may have a nice small trust worthy active group here on the forum this is just a very small reflection of the membership and readers on this forum. No way can a first dibs really work.

Craig

• Moderators

Ironically, that thread was locked because this is an OPEN forum (within the policies, of course). If someone wants to blow everything by calling DIBS and alerting every Tom, Dick and Harry to a great deal that they've found, that's their choice (and their problem). But no one needs to be chastised for doing so.

Thanks

• Moderators

We have had a lot of help from forum members, and I have seen many others in the same position. Whenever something is sold by a forum member it always works out where the first person who calls that they are interested gets the first shot and if it doesnt work out second in line gets his shot.

It appears that it somewhat works out that way with ads from different places, but that's different, you can't tell whats going on behind the scenes. Then you throw in the fact that the general public could care less about people on this forum or what they are selling, except that it will bring them money.

All you can do is try to treat forum members (and the public) how you would like to be treated, when it don't work out move on there are enough people and deals to go around if you wait long enough. They may not be dirt cheap, oh wait have you priced dirt lately, it's not even cheap anymore ![:|]

Even Roc found some speakers when he waited long enough, and he had most of the forum looking for him.

Maby it's easy for me to say this because no one has went behind my back after something I wanted, yet, and what I did get was because someone helped me find it.

Just try to not take it personal even if it is, I always say if someone treats me wrong I don't want revenge, but I will not forget ethier.

Business is business and a hobby is a hobby, where people fall between the two is how they will act, the hard part is if it is both to you.

I will not enter into the issue about what is correct and what should and should not be.

However, it is probably a good time to remember some good that came out of this forum. A kind soul, who is a forum regular, had gotten into the habit of scanning craigslist and classifieds throughout the US. He would then post possible Heritage finds.

Long story short. Because of his efforts and kindness I was able to get a pair of Cornwall's for $400. An incredible value and they are playing happily in my den.

Maybe it is best not focus on the lurkers and opportunists. Maybe we should focus on the good guys in this forum.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I will not enter into the issue about what is correct and what should and should not be.

However, it is probably a good time to remember some good that came out of this forum. A kind soul, who is a forum regular, had gotten into the habit of scanning craigslist and classifieds throughout the US. He would then post possible Heritage finds.

Long story short. Because of his efforts and kindness I was able to get a pair of Cornwall's for $400. An incredible value and they are playing happily in my den.

Maybe it is best not focus on the lurkers and opportunists. Maybe we should focus on the good guys in this forum.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I agree with Tom. The LaScalas I bought were found by another forum member and brought to my attention on this forum. I even had another forum member go with me to audition them. And at the time I had not yet met either of the two gentlemen.

This forum is just an amazing place

Steve

I have led a great number of people on this forum to many a Klipsch speaker including at least 4 sets of Klipschorn's. Most recently a pair of Speakerlab horns to a fellow looking for La Scala's. The problem is the lurkers and non-posters, use email and PM's whenever necessary. Never, ever come on here and blow your own horn you are sure to miss out on a deal that way.

You did not see me running to the forum to call dibs on the Walnut Lacquer Cornwalls that were about 10 miles from me and on eBay, I got them for $510 primarily since they were a pickup only.

I think that for the most part the regular's on here respect one another enough to back off when they are serious about bidding or acquiring items on AudioGon or Craigslist.

Bottom line there are NO guarantee's here folks.