La Scalla or Cornwall??

JSP

I need your opinion on this topic again. I have narrowed my selection for a pair of

Klipsch speakers to either Cornwalls or La Scallas. The cost will be about equal when I add the

extra to travel for the Cornwalls.

I will not be able to compare the two speaker types so I must

rely on those who are familiar with the line.

You suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

JP

It all depends on your sonic goals, musical preferences, equipment to be used etc. Lots of variables here, one is fully horn loaded the other is a bass reflex design. Are you going to be using a subwoofer? 2-channel listening?

You are not giving us much to work with here in order to help you, they each have their merits and excel in different areas.

I have both, and use my La Scala's as mains and the CW's as surrounds. My La Scala's are modded with Altec 511B's, BEC tweets and ALK networks, so it's probably not a fair comparison, but to my ears I prefer the La Scala's. I also prefer horn loaded bass as it sounds much more natural to me, even though the LS bass is not as loud or as deep as the CW. YMMV...

Mike

They will be the front speakers for my HT. I do have a sub. however, I listen to alot of music (jazz, rock, classical) in 2 channel also.

marantz SR7200 5.1

marantz 2238b 2 channel

rear KG4

center infinity

• Moderators

This is just my personal opinion here ! And you know what they say about opinions. [:|]

If you plan on using a sub I would say the LaScala, If no sub I would use the Cornwall.

It would be hard to beat LaScalas and a sub !

To me the LaScala had a much better Mid range but much less on the bottom end. The Cornwall had much better bass but not as much in the Mid range, probably a better all around sound if no sub is used.

Edit, I type slow, your post of how you would use them and you do have a sub was not there when I started.

But same answer for me. [Y] It's hard to get past that clear clean Khorn mid range horn, how can you beat that sound ?

couple of things you need to consider:

1. scalas are 24" deep where the corns are only 15 1/2" deep

2. scalas usually have no grill cloth, some have the top section covered

3. cornwalls have full grill cloth ( except the decorators ) WAF

as michael colter would say Get the cornwalls

At my first listening, I preferred the Cornwalls, as the seller had both for me to compare; I purchased the Cornwalls. Soon after, I had another opportunity to purchase La Scalas, at a price which I could not refuse. Rock and Roll sounds best on the Cornwalls, but voices and acoustic guitars sound better on the La Scalas. My amplifier has an A/B speaker switch which allows me to use and love each pair individually.

If I could only have one pair it would be Cornwalls, however, I have not heard La Scalas with a subwoofer; that may be a marriage which would never end up in divorce.

I own both using mac gear. I prefer the cornwall just a slight bit. But you can't go wrong with either one of them How big is your room? Seems to me that the lascalas prefer a larger room than the cornwalls and they like to be opened up just a bit more. I don't use a sub, so I can't comment on the las/sub combo. Just seems to me that the cornwalls are a little more balanced and sound just a bit better at lower volumes...

La Scala's do not need a sub if you are driving them with proper amplification. In my room there is no comparison between the La Scala's and CW's. The mids/highs on the La Scala's are much more open and detailed, and play louder without any strain, and the bottom end is still plentiful. Most here have always preferred the CW, but I think it has to do with their amplification more than anything.

Mike

Tomorrow evening, I am meeting with a group from North Carolina and we are going to compare the two. I just sold the La Scala's (to a new forum member) and am dropping them off in NC for pick-up at a later date.

I am bringing a MC-275 and C-220 with me. I am not sure what sources we are using as far as CD, TT, etc. but at least we can get other opinions on this debate.

My thought is they are both excellent and it really depends on your listening preferences.

Will check back in after the comparison and post the thoughts of this small group.

La Scala's do not need a sub if you are driving them with proper amplification. In my room there is no comparison between the La Scala's and CW's. The mids/highs on the La Scala's are much more open and detailed, and play louder without any strain, and the bottom end is still plentiful. Most here have always preferred the CW, but I think it has to do with their amplification more than anything.

Mike

Yea, but that's not a fair fight with the 511s. [H] I agree, however, upper end of the La Scalas is preferable even in stock form to that of the CWs.

My take is that it depends on whether you plan on any mods. If you plan on keeping the speakers stock, I would choose CWs. In stock form, the CW's sound like a more balanced speaker, top to bottom, and they sound great until you start pushing the volume - and then you run into the limitations of the top end. In comparison, most of the older La Scalas are top heavy. I think that they solved that some with eq with the new La Scalas II but that's only based on what others have said - I have not heard the new models.

If you plan mods such as aftermarket crossovers that offer you the option of bringing the midrange level down and add a tweeter attentuator of some sort - to bring the tweeters down (and in effect balancing the speakers) , then I prefer the sound of La Scalas. Tighter bass but could use a sub to compliment.

Carl.

Mike, I agree proper pre amp / amplification to a point too.

Cornwalls will sound good with just about anything you throw at them. A great rock n roll speaker, if you can take a older beat up pair to college, I would say maybe the ultimate dorm/ apartment/ whatever place you live at party speakers. You can play em soft or loud and after college re finish em to look nice for your house too! hahahaha

The La Scalas depending on your music and taste do or do not need help on the bottom end. They are a little more tricky to getting the proper pre amp / amp set up, but as many will attest too.... when you do get it right, they will reward you with a big open effortless fantastic sound! There is no comparison to the Cornwalls your dealing with the same larger mid horn speaker that is in the K horn too. It is a HUGE difference!

I am not talking about a "boom box" to add to your La Scala's, but I know with the Klipsch THX KA 1000 amp, and the (2) 120 THX subs, it is a great marriage. I have two settings to my sub amp. One for movies.. (I did with a radio shack meter..) and another for 2 channel. I do this through the SMS unit, so at 30 for movies at 20 for music. This way, the subs are just up enough for personal taste. You might be surprised at what your missing out on Mike?

But for live music on MOST PA systems your looking at a low end of 50 at the most at high SPL's we all grew up with, so depending on source material what you said is a true statement. And some music, say a Jazz Quartet, a live recording, etc., you might feel you never need it as well. On some of those Vinyl and CD's today, you get a real appreciation maybe of what you missed without a sub. Others you will never miss it.

You might be surprised at what your missing out on Mike.

Indy, I have an SVS sub hooked up to the La Scala's when playing movies, multi-channel concerts, DVD-A and SACD's, and know full well that it makes a huge difference on the lower registers. However, for most 2-channel music, and specifically the kind of music I listen to, I find a sub is not necessary. The VRD's, BBX w/Cream and TD-124 generate all the bass I need. To be honest, I have always lived in the midrange anyway.

Mike

Mike

Yea, but that's not a fair fight with the 511s.

Hi Carl,

Yeah, I agree it's not a fair fight, but like you I prefer the mids/highs with the stock K400. And also agree the ALK networks were able to balance the La Scala (and open them up) and even out the advantage the CW had in this regard. Don't get me wrong I love my CW's, and hope one day I can have a separate room for them (maybe even build a HT with 5 of them).

Mike

OK, at least you can appreciate it for movies....

I have only heard the SVS sub systems so far in my life two times. They are incredible for explosions, maybe a great fit for movies.. Hehehe maybe too much punch, bang, whiz, thump, too? I am just not so sure how MUSICAL the big tube is? (Your opinions?) I am not slamming SVS here, I want your opinion?

The THX system is very musical with the "in your face" Scala's. That is what I was trying to point out. Just about everyone that heard them at the pilgrimage or here is just in awe. (And I do not think they are just being polite because that is what I have? LOL)