RF-83's in the house, and...

I bought some RF-83's based on the praise they get on the forums. I listened to them at the local Ultimate store and they sounded okay, but were powered off some 7.1 Pioneer so I figured they would be much better with one of my rigs at home. I unpacked them with great care and marveled at the copper colored wonders for a while then hooked them up. I ran a 30 sine wave through them for about 12 hours to break in the woofers a bit and things got better. I was happy for about a month until I decided to start A-B comparisons with some of my other Klipsch speakers. Well, bad idea the Forte's smoke them, the Cornwalls, smoke them, and the Choruses, smoke them.

What is disappointing is these are a flagship model and they are being bested by 60's and 80's tech speakers. I bought into the whole better newer materials garb and advances in CAD, CAM processes. Bummer...

I am obviously partial to the Heritage speakers myself, the ones that started it all! Never had any real interest in the newer stuff with the exception of the revamped Heresy's, Cornwalls, La Scala's and Klipschorn's of course.

If you want to take your older Heritage to another level rework the crossover networks with some fresh parts and they will get even better!

I bought some RF-83's based on the praise they get on the forums. I listened to them at the local Ultimate store and they sounded okay, but were powered off some 7.1 Pioneer so I figured they would be much better with one of my rigs at home. I unpacked them with great care and marveled at the copper colored wonders for a while then hooked them up. I ran a 30 sine wave through them for about 12 hours to break in the woofers a bit and things got better. I was happy for about a month until I decided to start A-B comparisons with some of my other Klipsch speakers. Well, bad idea the Forte's smoke them, the Cornwalls, smoke them, and the Choruses, smoke them.

What is disappointing is these are a flagship model and they are being bested by 60's and 80's tech speakers. I bought into the whole better newer materials garb and advances in CAD, CAM processes. Bummer...

What a waste of money. Good luck selling them now. Why would you buy anything based on the group opinion of others? We are all unique with unique brains and ears, so if it ain't peachy for you yet 10 people say its nirvana, then why bother?

I agree, thus my frustration. I do not know how anyone could say they are in the same league as any of the above mentioned speakers. My advise, stay away from the RF series and by new heritage series speakers. If the dealer will agree to taking them back, even if I have to pay a "restocking fee" I hope to buy some Cornwall III's. Please wish my luck, I am going down to talk to them now.

This makes me afraid to listen to any Heritage, lest I become unhappy with my RF7 system. [&]

Someday I want some Khorns and a nice tube amp for 2 channel listening. I've already spent too much on my RF system. I'm afraid what I'd do if/when I get hooked on Heritage.

how long have you had the rf 83's ??????? I find it hard to beleive a company like klipsch has been in business as long as it has with a once you buy it your stuck with it attitude. Especially in an industry where the true benefits cannot be realized till they are at your home in your listening room.

i would definately contact roy, trey, amy or any other klipsch rep directly to get there word on this, i would almost bet they have a system where one can return in this situation within a reasonable time frame, (when buers are looking to move up and not get a refund) and if they dont have it i would be very disappointed

i hope you decide to contact someone else and post your findings here, this would speak tons about klipsch as a company and how they feel about customer service

Joe

They will do well in theatre duty. In general I think the more in your face reference line is prefered by the younger set. I bought new 7's, had Dean do the crossovers & they were very nice. Bought heritage & prefered the sound so I made a good deal to a young forum member but I made him come get them. He said my heritage was to "middy" for him. I'm 40 so I think old ears plays a part.

This makes me afraid to listen to any Heritage, lest I become unhappy with my RF7 system. [&]

Someday I want some Khorns and a nice tube amp for 2 channel listening. I've already spent too much on my RF system. I'm afraid what I'd do if/when I get hooked on Heritage.

Replace Khorns with Jubilees & you just described me.[:P]

They will do well in theatre duty. In general I think the more in your face reference line is prefered by the younger set. I bought new 7's, had Dean do the crossovers & they were very nice. Bought heritage & prefered the sound so I made a good deal to a young forum member but I made him come get them. He said my heritage was to "middy" for him. I'm 40 so I think old ears plays a part.

I think you nailed it Arky, my younger brother prefers the RF-7's to my Heritage speakers. It should be a kick butt HT rig however.

I've had a pair of RF-7s pretty much since they were introduced. I had Forte-IIs when I purchased the RF-7s and have since replaced the Forte-IIs with Chorus-II. The 2 and 3 ways are very different, and have different advantages. The RF-7 does go lower than the Chorus-II (not lower that the Forte-II), and the RF-7 has cleaner upper midrange to top end performance. The Chorus-II has better overall dynamic performance and a cleaner lower midrange.

I recommend getting a swept sine wave (20Hz to 20KHz) burn-in source, available on many disks: one that attenuates the signal as it goes up in frequency so it doesn't fry the horn, and run it through your new speakers at a high, but reasonable (so you don't blow a driver winding) volume for a couple of days while you're at work (16+ hours total). Remember, the goal is break-in not break. The RF-7 required substantial break-in.

Second, get over the fact that a 2-way doesn't sound like a 3-way and you might find that there are instances in which a 2-way outperforms the 3-ways. I find that with music that gets very complex or critical in the upper mids and top end (some types of cymbals, pipe organ reeds, and violin harmonics bow and body sounds) is fatiguing on the Chorus-II but not the RF-7 and that I will give up on the Chorus-II and move to the RF-7.

I don't know that the newer Reference speakers are as good as the RF-7, they probably are, so, If you're feeling "stuck" with them you might spend a little time to hear what they can do. If not, I guess you are stuck.

Good luck, Leo

LoverofKlipsch,

Yeh, they will make killer HT elements. It sure does seem odd that the seller won't allow you to swap in to upgrade to CWIII's. That seems most unprofessional and not up to par for someone who is authorized to sell Klipsch, IMO.

I'd like make sure I don't do business with them. Who was that?

I'm a Heritage lover, too.

You have my condolences. I took my RF-7s as far as I could, but I have never regretted moving back to big Heritage. Be careful though because the more that you get addicted to large Heritage the wilder things you do. Oh, well - at least you can use them in HT. I heard the latest Reference series and think that they were a step backwards from the prior versions.

Carl.

This makes me afraid to listen to any Heritage, lest I become unhappy with my RF7 system. [

&]

John, ignorance might be bliss in your case.......[:|] Trust me, you don't want to hear a nice set of Khorns in hard corner, run by tube gear - let alone modded ones......[st]

Although you are welcome to hear mine if you come anywhere near the east coast of Missouri.

Carl.

Where do you live? what are you powering them with?

30 hertz sine wave 12 hours? how loud?

Remember the reference was meant to be WAF friendly........... Cornwalls are not WAF

I live in the Denver area. I am not sure of the loudness, but enough to exercise the cones a bit. I think the problem with bringing them back was based on the time I have had them, just short of two months. They have been powered by many amp including a home brew SET, a Dynaco ST-70, and various SS amps, but now are hooked up to a Hafler 500. They difinately have a higher WAF so they will probably stay around for a bit.

I agree, thus my frustration. I do not know how anyone could say they are in the same league as any of the above mentioned speakers. My advise, stay away from the RF series and by new heritage series speakers.

Well,I suppose one could ? your advise since it didn't work out too well when you followed it ????? You'd be best off making your suggestions based on the model rf you owned,not lumping everything in together.Even at that rate it's only an opinion/preference.I've also never known a Klipsch dealer that would not let you return the product if you weren't 100% happy,all mine will or have.Last,it is a bummer they weren't what you expected but that review falls a few miles short of a real audition,and,for the record,I didn't care too much for the 83's I owned(although nothing real bad) but got all my money back.