Need some good wishes for my pup

J.4knee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are progressing extremely well. There are new pics posted for those who wish to follow this. The procedure he had done to save his foot and leg was fascinating (a virtual miracle IMO) and if youve seen the pics from when I first posted you can see how this is progressing. As long as we can keep him quiet enough this should be a very successful recovery. Although they are not for those who tend to be squeamish, this stuff is worth a look to see how multiple graft surgerys like this progress. Again thanks for all the well wishes Bodhi appreciates ....as does his Dad[:D]

Quick updateBodhi had another bandage today and his suspension cast has been removed in favor of one that will facilitate his walking close to normal soon. His grafts are adhering very nicely now. His pad grafts continue to expand and he continues to improve. He is now at our house all the time now except for bandage changes, my wife is off work for a couple weeks and can take him in to get this done. Prior to this we were driving all over creation a coupe times a day to either visit him or take him to our friends house so she could take him into work the next AM. She is a Vet tech and has been a Godsend in this situation. She is the one doing the updates and description on the website. Once again thanks for all the well wishes, looks like by the end of August he will be back in action.

Jim, I am delighted that your pup is doing so much better!

Dogs are amazing creatures, they can bounce back from really bad situations and still be just as happy as they were before. Our oldest dog (nearly 13 years old from what we can figure) is at the end of her normal life span, her rear knees have lost the cartalige and they are bone on bone. It must be extremely painful for her (even with the med) but she just keeps on going, not letting on that she is having much of a problem, other than she is a good bit slower than she used to be and hasn't run in a while.

Your pup should come out of all of this just fine!!

I continue to be amazed at this recovery process.  While no new pictures are posted I was a pariticipant in his bandage change tonight.  His big pad which was nearly debrided away now looks like a big center foot pad, it is healthy and turning back to a healthy black color.  His toes where the pad grafts were taken from are nearly closed and healed.  The skin is stretching and the graft area is nearly closed, you can actualy touch parts of it and it feels like normal skin.  I am just amazed at how well this is turning out.  I think I am now more intrigued in the entire process and how well it worked than I ever was.  I cannot say enough about the extaordinary vets who provided this care.  If you ever were wondering how much a process like this cost on face value...think new car, actually a very nice new car.  I am fortunate to have an arrangement that afforded me a very significant discount for this, a lot of pro bono work was done.

Jim,

I am glad to hear the all is going so well. I would bet that your pup is really getting bonded to yall and will really prove himself in training.

We have a cat that is 18 years old now, when he was a kitten Caroline thinks he was hit by a car and came home with a busted up leg. She hauled him to the vet and they kept him for over a month, removed all the broken bones (knee joint) and put him back together. All Caroline paid was about $100.00 and supplied his food for the month. It is amaising how some vets will work with ya in times like this.

Only if some doctors could do the same.......[:o] I bet that same proceedure on a person would cost the price of a nice house.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Ain't he a handsome little fella, obviously the first pic is the now nearly closed graft site, hair is startgin to grow in the form of fuzz on the graft, # 2 is the other side of his foot where the bandages rubbed some. And this last pic is a view not seen before.....his face as his leg grabbed all the attention to this point.

post-14277-13819343825526_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Update......Well he is doing pretty good at this point.  The foot has healed extremely well, save for one minor set back where he got bored in his crate while we were out and he chewed some of the graft off one of his toes.  No permanent damage was done but we found out he could defeat the Elizabethan collar by mashing it into his leg until he could get his snout where he could chew the foot, most probably because it itched and he was bored.  Anyway they put a muzzle on him but he had a problem with excess saliva being produced as a result of the sedative he was administered.  The saliva buit up inside the muzzle as really irritated is neck so he now has a shaved bald hot spot under his chin.  His tendons and muscles are beginning to rebuild from the atrophy brought on by the lack of use of the leg.  He is now going on "trot paced" walks to rehab his leg.  So all things considered, set backs and all, he is well on his way to a full recovery.