Need some good wishes for my pup

J.4knee

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to both you and your dog. Being a dog lover (two goldens; one 8 years and one 11 months) and a skin graft patient (2nd and 3rd degree burns to both hands and face) I sympathize with you and your dog. That poor guy is going to be in alot of pain so be gentle with him- you know he would take care of you if he had to.

Hey folks

thanks for all the well wishes for Bodhi n me.  He had his first post

graft bandage change today.  Things look good so far.  It is a swollen

gnarley ugly color purple except for one area about the size of my thumbnail,

and is oozing serum and it is nasty smelly.  That is all good except for

the small area the size of my thumbnail.  That still looks like it did at

post graft, which means it is not adhering as well as the other areas. 

This small section may slough but it is in a spot where it can be removed and

still regrow skin on its own and wont impact him much.  The reason for

the graft was to allow for a stronger healing and closing of the wound

area.  He wears a suspension cast to remove weight bearing from the graft region

that will promote adhesion by preventing slippage result from premature weight bearing.  He has a voracious appetite and is

quite fed up with all this quiet sedate time, he has meds for pain management

and a mild sedative to take the edge off of him so he does not cause more

damage to the leg and he has a host of antibiotics.

This injury

occurred when he tore the shade tarp over his pen and spun it into a tourniquet

on his leg just above the hoc joint, we have no idea how long he was in this state

as we found him like that when we returned home from work and he was in full

blown shock

Good news update, his grafts are healing and adhering very nicely now, new pics are up on the site along with descriptions. The Vet team Dr. Streppa and Dr Serdy have been nothing short of miracle workers IMO. When I look at his condition from the day we found him in distress and where he is at now I'm simply amazed. I also have to give a shout out to our 3 other Malinois who have been really good not disturbing him and allowing this disruption in their lives as well. All in all my outlook has moved from dire straits when we found him, to guarded optimism, to a full fledged sigh of relief, to a fairly comfortable acceptance his recovery is going smoothly and to expect a very full recovery given his is initial injury. As with our other dogs, he is a performance dog and it now seems very likely he will be able to continue forward with that career. I am so thankful for the recovery he is experiencing. I was certain he was going to loose his leg when I first saw his injury. Now he is just going to have to accommodate and adapt to not having the outside toe on that foot, given his young age, 5MO, he should adapt nicely. Again I am so thankful for this. Id also like to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to all of you for your well wishes.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

R/Jim