speaker hanging

woodsman

Hopefully someone here will know what I will try and describe here. There used to be and hopefully still are available, a very cool way of hanging speakers from the ceiling. I have hunted the net but do not come up with anything. Don't know the correct wording of these things.

There was a type of netting, that looks like a fishing net more or less. You would just put your speaker inside this net and then hook it to your ceiling hook. Then you could angle it anyway you desired.

I know they used to sell these because I have seen them in use in bars and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

How about cutting down one of those meshed hammocks. Use some sturdy fishline to tie the ends together and hang it by a hook set into a ceiling stud.

Hey, you could even suspend it using a bungee cord. When you start rockin the speakers will start a rockin! [:D]

Nags Head Hammocks used to sell a small hammock that we used for stuffed animals in the corner of the girls' rooms. Depending on the speaker size, these might do the trick. They might be big enough to hang Heresys, but I'm not quite sure. They are made just like the full-size hammocks (very durable) - probably would hold close to 100#. I'm just not sure if they still make these, though. You might check their website or give them a call. They are very nice and helpful folks down there. Good luck.

Chuck

IMHO a more professional approach would be to hang your Klipsch using sturdy chains and eye hooks, like from this '77 pic from synthesizer virtuoso Wendy Carlos of Switched On Bach fame. Here she had two pairs of Klipsch Cornwalls professionally installed from her studio ceiling. I haven't read any notes about it on her site, but you could check if you'd like on www.wendycarlos.com for any info.

post-11084-13819339834902_thumb.jpg

Straight out of Hell Raiser.....hanging those poor Cornwalls like that...... sick, sick, sick, but I bet it works good though !!!!....They use to sell nets and such to hang speakers from ceiling, not far fetched at all............tried a turntable like that once, worked great, until you bumped into it, not so great after all.................

Thanks for all the input here folks.

dtel's wife, yes I did look into the hammock stuff, great suggestion there.

Jim, thank you for posting your picture. That is the route I am going to take. With the chains I can get the perfect angle. I was thinking the basket hanger as to not have to drill into the speakers. But they are going to be permanent there for a long time. Pretty much bomb proof once they will be situated in place.

Jeff

Glad I was able to help (sort of), Jeff. I just thought the chains looked more secure than hammock material, and if it was used in a professional working studio with excellent results, then there's no reason why it couldn't work well in your own home. Just make sure you have a stud finder so you know where the beams above the ceiling are before you start drilling holes (but you already know that, natch).[:)]

I don't have any pics, but we used large T-hinges before. As long as the pin is strong enough. Then you have a single hole for an S hook. They can be fancy or plain, and painted so they almost disappear. Use bolts, and it the cabs are mdf, use a plate on the inside of the cab to spread the weight. You can stitch fabric tubes to cover the chains.

ADDED: I think I have a great way to hang them, and for many of the designs, would be easy to do, and pretty easy to undo if you took them down... it was an epiphany of sorts... but I need to sleep right now.

Bruce