I = 1970

N = 1975

U = 1980

E = 1966

J = 1971

P = 1976

W = 1981

NOTES

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

DOY= day of the year
YY=year (i.e. 99,00)
Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year
WW=week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example - 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

First, let me preface my comments but saying I'm no authority on sound or a self styled audiophile. This is the first Klipsch speakers I have ever owned and my first impression is that they sound so different than my Infinity rs3b's. Something about the speakers make you want to pay attention to the music and focus in, that is interesting. I have mixed feeling about them, however. Maybe it's just that I have to get used to them, but they kind of sound like I am listening to an over sized transistor radio. I can't put my finger on it. The bass guitar sounds not accurate, nor do the drums. When I listen to Black Cow or Aja by Steely Dan it does not seem like it is accurate with the drums or bass guitar. Do drums really sound that dull or thuddy. It does the vocals, piano, and horns exceptionally well, so that is why I am torn. They sound wonderful and strange all at the same time. I would be interested to hear what other's think about the Heresy 2's strengths and weaknesses are.

For the person who asked, I paid $100 them, with damaged finishes from water stains.

Of the various Klipsch speakers that I have, my 89 Heresy's don't sound all that great either. Once I added a subwoofer, the sound was much more pleasing, and seemed to have a better balance in my 11 x 18 carpeted basement room. I've had them in corners, up on stands, tilted up, pointed in, but found that I needed the sub for them to perform. Unfortunately, poor recordings often sound much worse on Klipsch speakers, probably because they are so efficient and reveal warts in the performance.

You got a great deal @ $100, and hope you can make them work for you, as they can sound good, as many will attest.

NP - Scatterbrain - Here Comes Trouble

For the person who asked, I paid $100 them, with damaged finishes from water stains.

Garrgh, knew it.

lol. [;)]

I'm going to have to stop some of these yard sales and see what's there. Sounds like you can "hit the lottery" once in a while.

• Moderators

Upstart said: "For the person who asked, I paid $100 them, with damaged finishes from water stains"

Aren't ya'll glad he told us.....great deal Upstart....I am sure after some "tweaking" and following some of the suggestions in this thread you will love the Heresies....if not....please consider the folks on this forum when offering them for sale....although I don't think it will come to that.

Just continue listening and making adjustments....you will grow to love them![:P]

As others have said Heresies do benefit from a subwoofer. The sound of horns are amazing on Klipsch speakers so if you can tweak the bass you will be very happy!

What kind of receiver are you using?

Hey Upstart. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the cheap find. Not sure this will be of any help, but just in case.....

I bought a H2 for a center channel and in the process of refinishing it to match my other 4 Heresys, I trashed the stock crossover and created a new one from after market components. Personally, I thought the H2 sounded better after the crossover update. Probably just a placebo effect, but I'm convinced it sounded better. Less "tinny" and a bit more defined in the midrange. The bottom is was the same and as others have said, Heresys need a sub to make them sound fuller. My preference is a Klipsch Sub-12. Anywho.......some pics of my crossover update.

This is a before shot.

post-4338-13819343953548_thumb.jpg