la-scala bass bin, to port or not to port that is the question ?????????????????

joessportster

i know this has been batted around here in the past, but im not to lucky with looking up the old threads, and i would also like some input from folks that have actually used them,

i am using la-scala bass bins now and i really like the tight controlled bass and to be quite honest i think they are plenty deep, BUT i have an insatiable upgrade bug that tells me there is always something a little better,

i took off the bottom of 1 speaker and had it setting on wheels about 4 inches off the floor and i didnt like what i heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bass seemed distorted/ fuzzy somehow and a little boomy for my tastes..................my delima is i am in the midst of upgrading the bins for example i have added a center brace at the mouth of the horn , and i plan to take 3/4" oak and wrap the 2 sides, the top and the back to further brace the cabinet and control any resonance, so if it is a general consensus that the ports are better it would be best if i try it now and this way when i do wrap the cabinets i can incorporate the port section and have seamless sides

BEFOR IT STARTS LET ME ALSO SAY I ALREADY KNOW TO LISTEN FOR MYSELF AND LET MY EARS DECIDE, i am looking for opinions here of others impressions of this modification to see if i even think it worth my effort to do a temporary set up and get a flavor of how they would sound, or just forego the idea and move along with my cabinets as threy are

Joe

Joe - All you need is 200 solid state watts on those JBL's, blankets stapled to your walls and a pair of safety glasses!

Good luck with the LaScala, thoough, I was always interested in using those bins with the Oris.

hey kev, right now i am in the living room with my system, and as you may well imagine the jbl,s are rather large for that room, presently i dont know when i will find the time to get my room in the basement done, so for now i am using the la-scala bins, i did see another guy on bd design using the same jbl bins but he had them laying on there sides, if i ever get my room done i will be giving them another shot, as far as 200 watts goes im waiting on someone to decide to sell a cary amp so i can see if i can afford it (hint hint !!!!!!!!!!!!! )[:$]

Joe

thanks for the links dean when i get home i will peruse those a bit

Joe

Joe - All you need is 200 solid state watts on those JBL's, blankets stapled to your walls and a pair of safety glasses!

Good luck with the LaScala, thoough, I was always interested in using those bins with the Oris.

hey kev, right now i am in the living room with my system, and as you may well imagine the jbl,s are rather large for that room, presently i dont know when i will find the time to get my room in the basement done, so for now i am using the la-scala bins, i did see another guy on bd design using the same jbl bins but he had them laying on there sides, if i ever get my room done i will be giving them another shot, as far as 200 watts goes im waiting on someone to decide to sell a cary amp so i can see if i can afford it (hint hint !!!!!!!!!!!!! )[:$]

Joe

thanks for the links dean when i get home i will peruse those a bit

Joe

i took off the bottom of 1 speaker and had it setting on wheels about 4 inches off the floor and i didnt like what i heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bass seemed distorted/ fuzzy somehow and a little boomy for my tastes..................my delima is i am in the midst of upgrading the bins for example i have added a center brace at the mouth of the horn , and i plan to take 3/4" oak and wrap the 2 sides, the top and the back to further brace the cabinet and control any resonance, so if it is a general consensus that the ports are better it would be best if i try it now and this way when i do wrap the cabinets i can incorporate the port section and have seamless sides

I'd suggest doing the changes one at a time, so you know which change makes which difference, if any. Can you tell if the braces on the horn mouths have made any difference? Doubling the thickness of the sides makes sense, but the bottom is well braced by the woofer doghouse, so that may be unnecessary. Looking forward to hearing and seeing how your project works out.

yea pete i know, i ordered a saphire and am awaiting notification of ststus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "customer service anymore" i swear [:-*],

hows that thorens of yours doing, did you ever get your new plinth ?????????????? are you ever going to give me your thoughts as to how it compares to the newer style tables

Joe

"i took off the bottom of 1 speaker and had it setting on wheels about 4 inches off the floor and i didnt like what i heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bass seemed distorted/ fuzzy somehow and a little boomy for my tastes..............."

And what does that have to do with the mod?

If you can't follow instructions, just leave them alone. Besides, you like the bass as it is.

"i took off the bottom of 1 speaker and had it setting on wheels about 4 inches off the floor and i didnt like what i heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bass seemed distorted/ fuzzy somehow and a little boomy for my tastes..............."

And what does that have to do with the mod?

If you can't follow instructions, just leave them alone. Besides, you like the bass as it is.

first off djk whoever you are what instruction am i supposed to be following, i must have missed the memo that made you speaker god, im sure you were born with a perfect idea of how to persue everything you ever did, me im here on planet earth and i choose to experiment a bit, tell you what jerk, email me direct and i will tell you exactly what i think of your post, and you

Joe

I'm a little confused about your experiment as well. I would expect the bass response to be terrible with the bottom removed. The doghouse should be sealed in order to properly load the back of the driver. Am I missing something?

it was terriable as i said, thus the question here asking for opinions from people that have actually tried the mod. i took the bottom off simply to hear what it would sound like you know "experiment" . I learn different things by experimenting not necessarily by reading or going to school.

i simply remembered something about a thread discussing a mod and decided to ask about it to see if it was something i thought i may be interested in. i have looked over the past threads that dean posted links to and it does sound interesting, but i didnt see anything like a review from someone that actually had listened to a pair, just passing comments about how they felt they were deeper, and they didnt perceive any loss of detail

Joe

"and i plan to take 3/4" oak and wrap the 2 sides, the top and the back to further brace the cabinet and control any resonance, so if it is a general consensus that the ports are better it would be best if i try it now and this way when i do wrap the cabinets i can incorporate the port section and have seamless sides"

Might be better to get the bass bin mods you want to make out of the way first and then do the above. As I recall there are 2 possible mods - the first is to build a bottom box for the Scala's that merely increases the sealed enclosure. This will also raise the speaker of course - which will also affect the sound. Probably best to try it like that first - then port and see what difference that makes.

For each step you should see an increase in the range of bass frequencies that can be played - along with other effects concommitent with a raising of the speaker and dependent on your room.

I'd guess it should be possible to re-plug the holes if you don't like the ported version but do like the additional sealed volume.

Once you have all of that out of the way you can proceed with the mod you mentioned above in the knowledge that it fits whatever speaker you end up with.

Be interesting to see you results / observations......

For some reason this reminds me of the guy in high school that took off his mufflers and took out the air cleaner element.

I had no air filter and no mufflers, but my main jets had been changed from 85 to 435, and the exhast and transfer ports raised.

The guy's bike wouldn't even move!

"first off djk whoever you are what instruction am i supposed to be following, i must have missed the memo that made you speaker god, im sure you were born with a perfect idea of how to persue everything you ever did, me im here on planet earth and i choose to experiment a bit, tell you what jerk, email me direct and i will tell you exactly what i think of your post, and you

Joe"

If you continue to let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird *** no one around here is going to help you with anything, didn't I ask you to get on your motorbike and peddle your ugly *** out of here once already when you whined and cried and then dragged Mdeenen's name into the forum because you did not get the latest and greatest Blueberry for the same deal awhile back instead of handling it like a man.

DJK is a speaker god of sorts (especially when it comes to the very modification you are considering) too bad you chose to chastize him when he commented on your incredibly silly experiment, can't you handle a little critisizm without going into defense/threat mode?

Perhaps you should take up another hobby.

this ported mod is djk's invention...

talk about biting the hand that's feeding you [:o]

DJK's hand doesnt feed me, he had an idea that he carried out, it doesnt give him or anyone the right to act like a jerk

charles :

i tell you what i really try to follow the rules of this forum, and i keep foul language out of it, this is why i offer people like yourself to e-mail me direct, i assure you my a$$ can back every word my mouth utters, and in the rare case it cannot well thats life win some lose some, i get quite the kick out of you internet bully types i guess that you cant be a bully to anyone in person so you get on here from the safty of your keyboard hiding in the dark and try to start a fight................i do not post on this forum for you or any other bullys entertainment, i am trying to learn something (as i have in the past) if my retort hurts take a look at your post and you will see why you garnered a particular response from me. i dont care if you bully types never respond to my posts because you offer no information that even pertains to the subject i am enquireing about, djk may be a speaker god in your mind i dont work that way i offer only the respect i receive, silly experiment (maybe) but why should it bother you or anyone else for that matter how i experiment with my property, i will peddle off when i feel the need not at you request, my offer for you to email still stands

Joe