Somebody recommend a turntable...

popbumper

I guess it needs to happen - I have a small but "cherished" vinyl collection (read, "mostly scratched but I'd sure like to hear them again) that has been sitting unloved since, well, about 1985.

I have a Dual 506 belt drive table with a Grado FTE cartridge, but the table no longer keeps speed, and I really don't want to fart around with fixing it (I could, but why)?

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced used rig, or is it even worth investigating a new TT? I do not want to spend big $$, I never did - I'm not exactly a "vinylphile", but I would love to resurrect some old favorites. Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

For about $100 you can find a nice Thorens TD165 or similiar model with the stock arm. Add a Shure M97E for about $60 and you have a really nice, musical sounding vinyl setup. They are a little bouncy so make sure you have a good sturdy place that doesn't giggle too much. I had this setup with a Shure V15 and it sounded better than the Music Hall MMF5 I had in the same room and way better than my old 1976 Technics with lots of different carts (I thought it was the cart that sounded thin and lifeless....duh!).

Sure, there are better setups but for under $200, it's a great option IMO.

I'm sure others will chime in with their inexpensive favorites but that's my two cents. Good luck!

- Gary

Not to be contra to Gary's opinion (he's way more experienced than I) but I'm still having trouble with the Thorens 125 I purchased some time ago. I'd go any other route if I had it to do over. Plasticy gimball and very loose suspension. My Technics SL1700 direct drive does a better job of it, at least the tonearm doesn't destroy my vinyl by dancing all over the place.

I have two Thorens TD 125s, a Mark I and a Mark II. Both have SME 3009 II tonearms, cost about $400.00 used and are excellent tables--built like a tank. I have been very satisfied with them. I also had a TD 160 with the stock Thorens arm--very nice table. I think the AR turntable with the Sumiko tonearm is also very good. I use a Shure V15VmxMR cartridge which to my ear is very neutral, tracks very well and is highly detailed.

Good luck with your search for vinyl heaven!

George

Not to be contra to Gary's opinion (he's way more experienced than I) but I'm still having trouble with the Thorens 125 I purchased some time ago. I'd go any other route if I had it to do over. Plasticy gimball and very loose suspension. My Technics SL1700 direct drive does a better job of it, at least the tonearm doesn't destroy my vinyl by dancing all over the place.

Michael,

Did you get my email about me not getting your email?

Michael,

Did you get my email about me not getting your email?

Yes Scott, but I'd typed it in Forum so couldn't resend. Check 'House of Klipsch 2 ch' for my new setup. I'm moving rooms and cabinets in hopes of getting the Thorens up and running.

I like my technics sl 1600 MKII as good as any table I have ever owned. Its not as pretty as some but it sure is funtional and built like a tank. I like not having to lift the dust cover to access the touch buttons. I really like the quartz lock speed and strobe. green LCD light when its dead on, red if its to fast or to slow.but the thing I like most about it is the touch button start/stop and the touch button cueing. No more broken vn35e stylus's. I havn't had a stylus mishap since I have been using the sl1600 MKII's. I have the shure m97e for albums that are less than perfect. the shure V15 type III with vn35he stylus for nice albums. I have had the thorens TD124, TD160, and TD165. the Dual 1229, 1229Q, and cs7000. Marantz 6300's. I admit my hearing isnt the greatest but my used 200.00 technics sl1600 MKII sound as good if not better than any of the rest of them.

The recommendations for the Technics are good. I have had a number of various Thorens in the last century..., and all of them eventually had problems of one sort or another. I finally sold them all and bought a Technics SL-1200-MK2 (built like a tank, weighs the same as a tank, direct drive, no vibration problems, etc.) put a M-97Xe on it and it has worked perfectly for the last 7 years.