Sputnik's 50th anniversary

sputnik

The really sad part was we had a rocket with a satellite on the pad ready to go the year before, but Eisenhower nixed it because the Air Force got into a "who's gonna be in charge of space" pissin contest with the Army (Werner von Braun worked for the Army) over the Redstone program. Result a delay... and the rest is history....

The really sad part was we had a rocket with a satellite on the pad ready to go the year before, but Eisenhower nixed it because the Air Force got into a "who's gonna be in charge of space" pissin contest with the Army (Werner von Braun worked for the Army) over the Redstone program. Result a delay... and the rest is history....

Now that I'm older and wiser,...............What's the point of going into space? We're not doing such a great job here on Earth, do we want to screw-up space too ?????

Please don't even tell me it's about Jobs, and the economy.......................

Now that I'm older and wiser,...............What's the point of going into space? We're not doing such a great job here on Earth, do we want to screw-up space too ?????

Please don't even tell me it's about Jobs, and the economy.......................

OB, we have not done THAT great of a job screwing up earth. I think we have the potential to REALLY screw up space in a much more effecient manner! Additionally in the mean time we could screw up earth also I.E. raining space junk!

PS: I am into space exploration. I wouldn't say jobs (it does create them) or economy (where does the money go that the government wastes) but the strongler arguement for me is research and development of new technologies for humanity.

The really sad part was we had a rocket with a satellite on the pad ready to go the year before, but Eisenhower nixed it because the Air Force got into a "who's gonna be in charge of space" pissin contest with the Army (Werner von Braun worked for the Army) over the Redstone program. Result a delay... and the rest is history....

It's so we can relocate to a new planet once we're done screwing up this one. 

Hey Buckster, remember this one?

He was a good man, he meant no harm.
A victim of life, possessor of charm.
In a time when no man
Could just do alright and get by.
To make way for the new the old had to die
The old had to die - it was crazy.
They needed a change - no man would try.
He did understand, but he didn't know why, no.
So he left himself in the hands of the power
And locked up his questions in the people's tower
The people's tower. He was crazy.
Don't think twice - spaceage sacrifice
Well, let's go back when it all was starting
A man on the moon and people were starving.
Everyone knew, but most didn't care.
Well, everyone thought they were going somewhere
They were going somewhere
There was nowhere, it was nowhere!
Don't think twice - spaceage sacrifice
It was a spaceage sacrifice.

Yeah, that be me !.................. Would seem like a David Bowie song to me, altough I don't really know !!!!!!! Just seems useless to go somewhere where you can't live anyway ..................... We don't need to go to space to defend ourselves ............ I just don't see the point of going in to space anymore .......... like I wrote, I'm a dreamer sometimes..... and others things more pressing to me ............ like electricity in my cave !!!!!!!!! ........... Still hard to believe Sputnik was 50 years ago..Yikes !!!