San Diego Fires

J.4knee

Things are getting pretty dicey out here. I am off work today as my routes to my office were blocked and the City and County Governments has asked people not evacuating or not involved in firefighting activities to stay off the roads. There are 8 fires burning throughout San Diego County. Two in my town San Marcos but they are not an immediate threat to my development and surrounding area. We are in severe Santa Anna conditions with no break in the weather anticipated for at least a couple days. The current assessment of these fires, is combined they have the potential to be the worst the area has ever seen. These types of fires thrive in these types of conditions, extreme winds, and humidity below 10%. They are often preceded by extreme dry periods and there is an abundant fuel source. Once the fires start they feed themselves creating their own wind sources and extreme oxygen supply. The current fires are spewing flames up to 200 ft high and the fires are leaping over entire highway systems

i work in santa ana and the wind is really blowing hard here. the sky to the east is smokey. feels like we're surrounded--go one direction and malibu is on fire, go the other santa clarita, go another san diego county. there is one pleasant alternative--the remaining direction is the pacific ocean--anyone got a boat?

Some things are going better than our Cedar fire 5 years ago. Our county wide reverse 911 system is making calls by the 100K's to keep people up to date on fire and evacuation status as they are affected. The problem with these fires is they not contained at all, the fire fighting resources cannot stop them and most of the effort is saving structures where they can and ensuring people get safely evacuated. They cannot fly fixed wing assets to drop fire retardant but they do have a couple rotary wing assets in the air but the winds and visibility limit their effectiveness. With the wind unpredictability the current assessment is the Witch Creek fire will likely reach the coast.

Jim, I wish you the best of luck.

Lake Arrowhead is now on fire now and a lot of their resources are down the hill fighting the other So Cal fires. Man, oh man it sure is smokey around here with all these fires. It's been raining ash. I am very thankful that my house is not currently threatened, but I'm extremely concerned for all my family and friends whose homes are. There's a new fire which just broke out in Devore near the I-15/215 split. This is a really horrible situation for many Southern Californians, and it appears to be getting worse. [:(] My family and friends could use a bit of luck over the next few days. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

NOT GOOD NEWS FOR THE FIREFIGHTERS...From the weather service

STRONG SANTA ANA WINDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY AND INTO TUESDAY. AREAS OF NORTHEAST WINDS 25 TO 35 MPH WITH STRONGEST GUSTS TO AROUND 85 MPH WILL OCCUR NEAR AND BELOW PASSES AND CANYONS. THE STRONGEST WINDS AND WIND GUSTS WILL BE BELOW THE CAJON PASS AND NEAR THE COASTAL FOOTHILLS OF THE SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS. WINDS WILL REMAIN STRONG AND GUSTY BUT ARE EXPECTED TO BE SLIGHTLY WEAKER FOR TUESDAY...AND THEN WEAKEN RATHER SIGNIFICANTLY ON WEDNESDAY.

Here on Vancouver Island we have the two Martin Mars flying boat water bombers, the world's largest. The owner of the planes is in hourly communication with the California authorities and one is ready to lift off almost immediately when the call comes. Hopefully the fires will be brought under control soon.

http://www.orpheusweb.co.uk/vicsmith/mars.html

http://www.gotofino.com/sproatlakemarsbombers.html

http://www.martinmars.com/

It's one of those times where I wish we could send them the rain we've been getting the last couple weeks. I was watching it a litle bit on CNN this morning. Bad scene, very dangerous. I guess we should all make a prayer that the damage is limited to things not people.

JB: Did they evacuate your sister and her family yet?

NEWS UPDATE: just announced on CBC Radio a few minutes ago: one of the Martin Mars water bombers will be in San Diego tomorrow. Its support crew left Vancouver Island a while ago and has already crossed the border. Hopefully, this will be a big help to the hard-working fire crews already onsite.