Question to Klipsch Heresy enthousiats

kelly001

I think I've narrowed it down to buying a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers to go with an Onix SP3 integrated tube amp.

Does anyone have experience with various models of that line? Heresy, Heresy II and Heresy III. Are there notable differences in sound between the models? Could you define them if so.

Thanks!

Kelly,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with what Arky has said about Heresy and Heresy II relative to Heresy III. There is more difference in Heresy III than H and HII.

The sound of all have that signature Heritage sound, IMO. Many folks find the Heresy to be bass shy, which is just the limitation of the size of the cab. The HIII does have a noticeably more robust bass response. The cab is the same, but different woofer and crossover.

There is a matter of convenience in the vintage Heresy, and even older HII's. Twenty or more years old and their crossovers will have drifted off spec. It's a pretty simply and inexpensive thing to get them restored (essentially) to factory spec. The results of fresh caps in the crossover are well worth the effort.

Considerations for economy favor the Heresy and Heresy II, but if all three are a reasonable option, then HIII would be the champ.

A question often asked is whether the improvement is worth the cost. This is a completely subjective assessment, IMO. My take on the sound is that all are good even excellent in sound. The improvement is a difference of degrees, of course. However, to my ears, the HIII takes the Heresy sound and kicks it up a notch.

The Heresy 3's have more Bass response, smoother all around response, higher SPL level, but don't sell the 1's and 2's short, fine speakers, the Pit-Bulls of the Klipsch Line ............. and Heresy's on Tubes, do not lack bass.............if your not afraid to buy new, buy the 3's, or check around for new leftover 2's someone might have left in stock ...... I got a real good deal on leftover new 2's when the 3's came out ......Scott 299-D + H2's + Sub = [:D]

Thank you very much, that is very helpful. When you talk about an inexpensive fee to get them restore to factory spec, can you elaborate on the price?

I'm kind of capped at $700 for speakers and I'm not sure I'll be able to find a pair of Heresy III's for that price.

Also, the room I am going to have the system in is fairly small (about 14' x 10'). Are Heresy's appropriate for those dimensions?

At your price limit, it would be unlikely that you can find H3s. Basically, they are a newish model that have not been around for very long and not very many have been sold.

However, you could easily get H or H2s. I have owned both and they sound more similar than dis-similar. The caps on the crossover can be inexpensively replaced and many folks would recommend doing this anyway. If diaphragms or the woofer is damaged, they can be replaced at a reasonable cost, but you would be able to identify such a problem before hand. The cost would be roughly & typically be about $300-500. Most of the differential is the cosmetic condition of the cabinet and its finish.

However, at a price cap of $700, you are now certainly in the ballpark of a Cornwall. Cornwalls are readily available (the original and version 2s). These are about 3 times the size, this may be a consideration. It is a vented cabinet with a horn loaded mid and tweeter. The biggest difference is that the bass will definitely be better than the Heresy.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Not sure if he's still wanting to sell them, he's gone back/forth.

I've got a friend who has THREE Heresy's (I do not know if I or II but some research would figure that out)

Anyways, I think he said he wanted $550 for all THREE combined as that's what he has in them. They are black, no risers and I've only heard them once when I was helping him wire them up.

He/they are near Knoxville, TN and I don't know if I'd trust him to ship those. What I mean by that, he's not necessarily aware that sometimes speakers can get damaged so he'd approach shipping from a very naive perspective.

Being one who likes bigger & thinks bigger is better... I'd look for Cornwalls but I just wanted to make this possible opportunity known. I've known for a while but been keeping my mouth shut (that he might want to sell them)

To tell the truth... he had a guy come in & do some work on his house... sad luck story...guy down on cash right now (blah blah blah) "I'll sell you my great HT setup AND include my bose speakers with it..."

Seems my friend is currently biting the bait...I told him to wait and see what it SOUNDED like before he made any rash decision.

I've not heard back from him yet.

I agree with everyone who has given you comments on the Heresy's. As a Heresy owner (like a million of them...[;)]), if you cannot afford the new H-III's, H-I's or H-II's will work very well for you. There are two "camps" on the early models, some like H-I's and some like H-II's. Some dislike the H-II's because the woofer is a different model. It's a "taste" thing more so. H-I's are very desirable because they used the same mid and tweeters as the "big boys".... And, because they are birch plywood, they are much easier to repair, re-veneer, etc. As the entry level Heresy for someone on a budget, especially a "tinkerer", the H-I is, in my opinion, the hands down option.

The key to good vintage Heresy sound (including the bass....) is making sure any pair that you obtain are sealed properly (no leaks...), have good capacitors (easily done), and properly placed. While they look like a big "bookshelf" speaker, they are not really intended for that, and should be placed on the floor. I'll confess that I'm the worst offender on placement, but nevertheless, by making sure everything else is done, I've been able to get away with them up high on bookshelves, on top of Klipschorns, etc. Regardless of placement faults, they have always easily held their own with JBL-4311's, 4312's, etc. (Studio/control room monitors).

But..... if you have enough ($700...) and enough space (footprint...), Cornwalls would be the better idea. They are simply better by nature of their design, size, and driver capability (particularly the woofer).

Hope that is of some assistance.

Re: Cornwalls.

Would those not be overkill in a 14' x 10' room???

Not at all.

You might also look into the Forte and Chorus at that pricepoint. Size wise they are inbetween a Heresy and a Cornwall.

My biggest issue with the Heresy is that it sits so low on the floor, whereas the bigger brothers have the squawkers right up at ear level (when sitting of course). Putting the Heresy on stands is going to lessen it's already weaker bass - well maybe except for the H3 which is quite the thumper.

Find someone in your area that has any of the Heritage line that you can listen to. Your ears will let you know what sounds best to you.

I have had Heresy's since '83, as stated earlier they do not have as much bass as the Cornwall's, LaScala's, or Belle,s but they sound great.

Later Bill

For the money, I too, would buy the Cornwalls ................. but, if you've never heard Heresy's on Tubes, how can people say they lack Bass? Because they've never heard them with Tubes ................... It's what is going to work best for you, bigger isn't always better, let your ears be the judge ............... A better response to your question would be, You'll be happy with any Klipsch speaker you buy, Why? ................. because Klipsch Rules !!!!!!!!!