My ears hurt!

oldslow

Hi folks,

I'm new here and I'm looking for advice. I've just upgraded my speakers system to the RF-15 and rc25 center.

I also udated my amp to the Onkyo 805.

I played Transformers HD version to kinda test things out and within minutes my ears were hurting.

I turned it down as much as possible but while the pain lessened it was not removed.

My daughter who is 20 yrs old never had any issues...

I am wondering what if anything I can do?

thnx

I didn't realize it at the time but when I demoed the speakers they were all running thru Onkyo amps.Four types of Klipsch Floor standers and 4 different amps.

We were only using music at the time. My ears hurt pretty badly then and I got very agitated but didnt know why till after.

I thought it was cause the music is too loud....crap. I thought the Onkyo is a great receiver!?

I'm bustin' on ya'................ try a different power source just to find out. I'm not a fan of Onkyo, many use them on here, it's not fair of me to impose my opinion on you, but maybe it's too bright for the speakers............ Maybe a real onkyo owner will jump in here and help you out ..............

• Moderators

I don't like Onkyo either but that's just my opinion !

You said your ears hurt ? How was the sound, did it sound very bright or was it OK but just made your ears hurt ?

How loud was it ?

What did you upgrade from, and did they make your ears hurt, or did you not listen at that volume?

Can't compare your ears to a 20 year old ear, the 20 year old ear still thinks in invincible ! That's why the 50 year old says " what" alot, or is it just me? [:|]

dtel,....................HUH ?.......What did you say ? Hard to figure out what he means, by Ears Hurt ............. disortion makes my ears hurt, real loud volume for long periods bothers my ears, but doesn't make them hurt ............... they hurt when people talk bad about me ........ or maybe he should try a pair of foam ear plugs, just to see if they help .............. or, quit playin' that RAP Music so loud !!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............. HUH, you talkin' to me ??????????

I have a Yamaha RX V540 hooked up to Klipsch quintets rsx3? and a rc25 center.

Never had an issue.

This new stuff is setup for a PJ and while the volume may have been a bit loud to start I turned it down.

Not sure what to think. Hard for me to swallow that the amp can cause my ears to hurt tho!

Not every piece of equipment works well with Klipsch speakers ............... try the Yamaha ..... What do you have to lose, you already have it, won't cost you a cent, and just maybe you'll find your answer ............... just try 2 channel to start ......... Your right, your ears shouldn't hurt !!!!!!!!!!! Hey Bud, what's a PJ ?

I didn't realize it at the time but when I demoed the speakers they were all running thru Onkyo amps.Four types of Klipsch Floor standers and 4 different amps.

We were only using music at the time. My ears hurt pretty badly then and I got very agitated but didnt know why till after.

I thought it was cause the music is too loud....crap. I thought the Onkyo is a great receiver!?

I can't imagine you bought the speakers you listened to in this scenario. [^o)]

Insofar as a 20 year old compared to a 40+ year old's hearing--The high frequencies are the first to go. If the speakers were overly bright your daughter would recognize it before you would, unless you have nerve damage (which could be a real possibility).

My first thought is to go back to the dealer and listen to the same speakers on a different AVR and see if your ears still hurt. If so, I suggest taking the who shebang back and finding a combination that doesn't make your ears hurt (Klipsch or not). If the symptoms persist, I honestly would check with your doctor.

Fwiw, room treatment and speaker placement could be an issue but I would do the above first before you go to anymore trouble. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I guess I'm not too bright when it comes to audio equipment.Honestly unless it's real bad it all sounds good to me. I've had Klipsch computer speakers and quintets and now Floor standing...never heard of speakers hurting ears till now.

I'm gonna give it a little more time.

My room is typical for a living space.

Coouch, loveseat, carpet,pictures. couple windows(albeit covered)

PJ is short for Projector...thought you all would figured that out!

I will go back and try the speakers on a different AVR. I am curious!

Again, try your Yamaha .................... if they still hurt your ears, take the speakers back and buy BOSE ............ Never heard anyone say Klipsch hurt their ears, unless the were too loud, and I doubt the Oinkyo can play that loud ............... do yourself a favor and try your Yamaha, what do you have to lose, alittle time switching them around, that's all ..................

OR..... possibly the source material is causing the amp(s) to clip, gets bad Inter -Modulation Distortion (IMD), but the amp re-stabilizes before it goes into protect mode. IMD can be a source of headaches and general "can't put my finger on it" sound problems. The "down home" IMD test. Turn it up reasonably loud (not too loud), and see if you can "talk through the music". If you have trouble doing that, then you've probably got an amp issue. If not, check speaker connections and make sure that you have + to +, etc. Out of phase can cause a "headache". Also, use the amp(s) in tone defeat mode, or no bass, treble, etc. Set tone at "0". By the way, DVD's and CD's have a higher imput voltage and you should make sure that the source is connected to the proper amp input. If not... clipping can occur by about volume 4 out of 10 on some amps. Hope that is of some assistance.