Turntable Advice

InnerTuber

Finally drug out all the vinyl and now feel I need a bit of an upgrade to the turntable (old Technics). Like to not go too crazy in case the passion fades or goes digital, so I'd hope to be in the under $500 range and have eyeballed a few - Thorens TD158, MH MMF2.1, Rega P1 and Pro-Ject Debuts. Any advice on these or other/better selections would be most appreciated. Currently spinning Jeff Beck.
Thanks

Wired, but I think There and Back might be my favorite.

I don't have There and Back, but Wired is one of my favorites. My absolute favorite is Blow By Blow, and if you can find an original pressing of this (Orange Epic label) prepare to be blown away by it!

As for Turntables... there have been some good suggestions here, but you might also want to consider a nice Dual CS-5000. This TT can normally be had with a Shure V15 III or IV for under $500. These come up on eBay quite frequently.

Good luck,

Mike

If you can find a Technics SL 1200 maybe a used one, I think that would be in your budget. Good reviews. Jay

I finally gave up on Thorens, had a boat load of them over the years, but was tired of the little problems that just kept cropping up.... So sold them all a couple years ago and got a SL-1200 MK-II and use a Shure M-97Xe cartridge, never looked back. Very reliable, heavy duty, and dead quiet (dependent of course on the LP...). Their primary claim to fame is as a DJ turntable that can stand the abuse without failure. Very heavy platter, brushless direct drive motor, very wide range of pitch adjustment, very stable plinth and "feet" system, etc.

Which Beck are you spinning? Just curious. If you ever make it over to Orlando you can stop in and listen to my TD-124/SME 3009/Denon DL-103. I'll provide the beer and wine. :) Mike

Sounds like a road trip for the Innertuber!!! After swinging by Mike's, then head on down to the swamp (Okeechobee) and do a "comparison listen" to the Technics and get more free beer....[:P]

The Technics SL-1200 was created for home use but was latched onto by the DJ's because of its nearly indestructible build quality. Do a search for KAB USA, there are all kinds of upgrades that can be done to these tables. I sold an expensive high mass table and am quite pleased with the performance of my 1200. Put the table on a butcher block with sorbothane pucks under the block, have Kevin at KAB USA rewire the arm with Cardas, install a good cartridge and you will have a very good table. There is not much that will compete with it at this price range. "Musicians Freind" sells these for around $400.00 with free shipping I believe. This is not a tweaky table and provides for many adjustments to get the best sound out of it. Good luck.

Phill

Which model is your Technics deck? If it's in decent shape and working properly, maybe a cartridge upgrade will give you the improvement you're looking for. On my SL-1400MK2, going from a low-end Audiotechnica to a Shure M97xE transformed it and showed me how good vinyl can sound.

Hi there and welcome! My choice would be a 2nd hand rega. I personally don't like Dual tables except for some older types like the 704 and I think it was the 1012. I had a cs5000 and was not impressed. Did not like the build quality (pressed wood stuff), nor the arm. Did not sound great either. I did have the 704 afterwards and was very impressed. Only let it go for a much higher priced Vyger table... MHO. Tim.

• 1 month later...