My Start in Audio

boom3

I hope this picture makes it, I haven't posted a graphic in a while...this is me, circa 1957, "adjusting" the family console, which I think was an HMV from England. It did not fare well at the hands of toddler and was replaced by a Grundig that had nice sturdy plastic knobs and pushbuttons and a BSR changer that was very robust. It had a 7 x 10 inch woofer and two single-ended electrostatic tweeters, one each side (this was mono).

post-16206-13819354034312_thumb.jpg

Ah Yes, our mis-spent childhood ............ Black and White TV's, if you had one ..... not the choices that kids have today .... Wow, we've come a long way, really we have ............ just think of the camera that took that picture ....phones that take pictures today, phones, anyway remember having a "Party Line"?, no, not that kinda' party...............

Yes we had a party line.... The second party would listen in on my conversation....I woud delibratly say some thing off color to hear her breath heavier. And some times talk about her to P**s her off. (some thing like this open line on this forum)

We were living in France when this was taken, we had no phone at home.

The camera that took this was a 1950 Canon IIE, made in occupied Japan, a 35 mm rangefinder.

My first discovery in audio was that if you moved the changer "overarm" back over the tone arm, Purple People Eater would repeat until some adult lost their mind and grabbed the record and hid it.

Gosh, my start was in '62, I was 4 years old, my mom, like any good Carlsbad housewife and wife of a USN Captain, had a pair of Klipshorns, Heresy center channel and McIntosh power equipment, since then I have progressed to a pair of Heresy II;s and a pair of RF 52's and a RC-52(just traded up). Not sure which I like better yet, the RF series is smooth and efficient, but the Heritage series just has a sonic characteristic that is unbeatable.

Fact is the Heresy II's have a unique sonic quality, and I will not part with them.

Back then if you wanted a remote for the TV , you had to have kids !

I can remember listening to fights on the radio with my dad.

I listened to Gunsmole on the radio, whenever I visited my grandparent's home. Even though the tv serires was already airing. He used to listen to the fights, which I never liked as a kid. I am thinking mid '50s.

My parents are still on a "party line" although no one shares it with us. Yes, you read that, we still have a party line, and Bell Telephone is constantly trying to get us switched to a "better" service.... so they can collect more money.

I recall stories of the old biddy next door picking up the phone and saying it is an emergency so she can have a conversation with her friends, that lasted hours.

On the nostalgia track, here is an ad from October, 1962. One of those formats lost to something better (the Philips cassette that arrived two years later).

Who remembers the Sony Elcassette? Done in, IMO, by the popularity of car players playing Philips-style cassettes.

B&O, in a catalog I saw in the late 60s, had a single-reel recorder that feed the tape back in at the hub.

post-16206-13819354108982_thumb.jpg