My "new" Scott 299 amplifier/Questions and observations.

brian berube

I just received my "new" Scott 299 amplifier yesterday, hooked it up to my '72 Cornwalls and have enjoyed listening to it. I wrote extensively in the spring about finally jumping into the tube fray. I had been skeptical, but I purchased a Sansui 1000 MPX receiver and loved it, and became a convert to the tube phenomenon. I kept reading about Scott's and the love affair that Klipsch owners have with them. I decided I needed to find out for myself. A couple of observations and a question. I I have '64 Khorns and the aforementioned '72 Cornwalls.

I have not hooked the Scott up to the "Horns yet--I will and soon..

My observations: I love rock 'n roll and I really like listening to my music LOUD. One thing I have noticed in just the 3-4 hours of listening time to date: I have not had the volume turned up loud at all. It has been amazing. I will turn it up in the next day or so, but I have truly, maybe for the first time in my life, been listening to music at a much lower volume and really enjoying it. I am guessing there are people out there right now nodding their head and grinning.

Observation #2: As the day wore on yesterday, I would swear that the music started "sounding better"??!!?? Does anyone know what I am talking about. Nothing to do with what I was listening to, just that it became clearer, "cleaner" for lack of a better word. I heard more, the bass finally started coming through, etc.

The question: This is a really clean 299. I have been unable to find anything on it that indicates which "version", i.e. A, B, C, D. Can anyone help? Is it possible that this was the first version and it did not have a letter designation? I went to a website yesterday: hhscott.com and it had some good information, but I didn't find anything that would help. For what it is worth, it does not have a headphone jack, which I think might make it an earlier version. Anyone have any advice? This 299 does not have a cabinet. Should I get one? Wood or metal? Yeah, yeah, I asked more than one question. Sorry.

Thanks in advance for any advice and observations.

You have a 299. Otherwise, it would say 299b, c or d. It has less power than the others and slightly different features than the c or d like an unpowered center channel you can use with a powered sub. Very nice feature.

Tubes always sound better after they've warmed up for a while. It's usually a good idea to turn it on about 20 minutes prior to listening. The experts say 20 minutes gets you most of the way there.

Original cases can be found on ebay or other sites now and then or you can have a new one made to your specs by at least one forum member whose name escapes me at the moment.

The 299 is a great amp. Glad you're enjoying it.

Brian:

I purchased an after market wood case from a fellow forum member (arf?), who makes them..or at one time he did. It sits over the top of the Scott, which makes for easy access and his craftsmanship is "Top Notch". I'll try to search my archives to get the correct name of this forum member.

As for ID'ing the model, Gary is correct.

I would try to post some pictures and Craig and few others can probably narrow it down.

It doesn't surprise me that you enjoying your Scott for they are very nice, affordable, and flexible tube amps.

JJ

Glad you're enjoying the 299. It was my first experience with tubes and I still have and like it a lot.

I bought a top but have never used it! I might, however, be interested in a wood version so I look forward to JJs post. Do you have any pictures JJ?

Glad you're enjoying the 299. It was my first experience with tubes and I still have and like it a lot.

I bought a top but have never used it! I might, however, be interested in a wood version so I look forward to JJs post. Do you have any pictures JJ?

The forum member I was trying to remember was ARFZ28.

His avatar shows a picture of the wood case, but it doesn't do his work justice.

I'll post a picture or two tonight when I get home.

JJ

Or, if you are at all handy you could build one of these. Funkyhambone now has this and told me he really likes the cover since you can see the tubes glowing away.

Sweet amps, Wish I hadn't sold mine.

I hear you there, I feel like an idiot for letting mine go,LOL.

Oh weel ,must find another one.

Hey OB any new info on that 222c you had a line on?

If the 299 is still stock or partially stock then that will exaggerate the sound improving for hours upon hours after you turn it on. I believe this phenomenon is where the 24/7 tube amp users came from... They were listening to amps that had many components in them that were long past being in good usable condition so every time they turned the amp on it took hours for all the old caps and power supply filters to reform and start working relatively well. All tube gear will require a half hour or so to sound it's best just to let the tubes warm up, but hours and hours of improved sound is a sure sign of problem under the chassis. If the amp has recently been updated then you might just be hearing the new components burning in. Many folks shun that as BS but trust me I've witnessed it hundreds of time. I often fire up gear after I rebuild it or build it new and think I must of screwed something up. So I go to testing with the scope and find nothing abnormal.... Let it play overnight and it sounds great in the morning.

Craig

"They were listening to amps that had many components in them that were long past being in good usable condition so every time they turned the amp on it took hours for all the old caps and power supply filters to reform and start working relatively well"

yes...right on point

New tubes will sound better as the day goes on also. It takes them a while to burn in.

By all means heed Craigs (aka NOS) advice on this. He knows them as well as anyone around here.

Your Scott may be a candidate for a "Freshen Up" if not already done.

Nice amps, Congrats.

Harry